Device encryption, security...and crappy R/W speeds in Lollipop

Yep, we'll have to see how ARMv8 performs with FDE.

I believe that at the present time Motorola is still shipping out the Moto X (2014) with Android 4 and ARMv7.

Before I buy that phone I want to wait and see if they offer a possible Black Friday or Cyber Monday sale on it.
However by waiting, would I be taking a chance that the phone becomes an 'out-of-the-box' slower, encrypted phone (because by then it may be shipping with Lollipop pre-installed) ?

Last edited:
We already know that Nexus 6 is shipping encrypted phones that has been shown to cause slowdown.

Questions:

Are there any other phones currently shipping out with this problem?

Does this mean that we should be wary of any phone that will ship with Lollipop and ARMv7 already installed?

I believe that at the present time Motorola is still shipping out the Moto X (2014) with Android 4 and ARMv7.

Before I buy that phone I want to wait and see if they offer a possible Black Friday or Cyber Monday sale on it.
However by waiting, would I be taking a chance that the phone becomes an 'out-of-the-box' slower, encrypted phone (because by then it may be shipping with Lollipop pre-installed) ?

We already know that Nexus 6 is shipping encrypted phones that has been shown to cause slowdown.

Questions:

Are there any other phones currently shipping out with this problem?

Does this mean that we should be wary of any phone that will ship with Lollipop and ARMv7 already installed?

Only Android 5.0 OOtB phones have mandatory encryption. It is highly unlikely that the MotoX will be an OOtB 5.0 phone any time soon. Much more likely that it will come with 4.4.4 and then OTA update to 5.0 for a couple of months after the update comes out.

I was just reading the article before coming over here. At androidpolice the writer wonders if storage really matters in a mobile device. What a load of bullshit. Of course it matters.

Back