Developer Won't Comment On The Order: 1866's Five Hour Length

HardOCP News

[H] News
What's worse than a game that is only five hours long? The developer refusing to comment on it. What do you think about extremely short full priced games?

Speaking to Eurogamer, CEO of Ready at Dawn Ru Weerasuriya refused to clarify average playtime for the game, and said his team was not going to discuss length despite videos on YouTube showing the entire game completed in 5 hours and 30 minutes.

I guess the developer's viewpoint makes sense. If a 5-hour romp is all that's needed to beat the game, then that may not be so bad if there's an incentive to replay the game over and over again. Reminds me of a recent game I played on the Sega Genesis. X-Men 2: Clone Wars. Takes maybe 2-3 hours to beat in total, but it's stupid fun and it's a game that I come back to play again.

You can blow through Tomb Raider 2013 in 6-8hrs I think, but I played it for 37hrs just "get all the things, do all the stuff".

I have no interest in this game whatsoever, but time to finish the game is a horrible metric. I'll use skyrim as an example: http://www.speedrun.com/skyrim . Under 1 F'ing hour. I played that game for like 100+ hours, but it is possible to beat much quicker.

It'll be interesting to see the reviews for the order though. Nothing ps4 exclusive has faired well so far.

You can blow through Super Mario Bros in 15 minutes on NES if you use all the warps and just run through it.... and I didn't see anybody complaining about that back in the day.

A lot of games can be "completed" pretty quickly if you know what you are doing and just want to post a "look what I can do" vid on youtube.

I have no interest in this game whatsoever, but time to finish the game is a horrible metric. I'll use skyrim as an example: http://www.speedrun.com/skyrim . Under 1 F'ing hour. I played that game for like 100+ hours, but it is possible to beat much quicker.

It'll be interesting to see the reviews for the order though. Nothing ps4 exclusive has faired well so far.

This. Same for most open world games like Assassin's creed, the GTAs etc. But I don't know anyone who plays such games and ONLY hit the main-arc missions/tasks etc. The entire point of the game is go everywhere, do everything.
That said, this game has never resonated well with me, and the gameplay vids I've seen have done nothing to change that. I'll be interested to see how it fares long term.

Depending on if the game looks good or not, I just wait. I paid full price for FEAR when it came out, bought it for $5 yesterday.

I don't have any intention to pick this game up, but that still seems kinda crappy. A 5-hour campaign is acceptable if it is either an exceptionally entertaining 5-hours, or else there is a mutliplayer component to enjoy when the single player stops. Being that this is single player only, and the gameplay looks pretty generic, that doesn't really bode well for this.

As far as incentives to replay the game, we'll see. Usually when games like this try to lure you into a second play though, it's with something superficial like new costumes or whatever... which is not even remotely enticing.

My guess is this game is going to end up incredibly mediocre in all regards except visuals.

This. Same for most open world games like Assassin's creed, the GTAs etc. But I don't know anyone who plays such games and ONLY hit the main-arc missions/tasks etc. The entire point of the game is go everywhere, do everything.
That said, this game has never resonated well with me, and the gameplay vids I've seen have done nothing to change that. I'll be interested to see how it fares long term.

Agreed, but does that logic hold up with The Order? Admittedly, I've only seen a handful of videos and haven't looked into the game much past that, but isn't it pretty much an on rails shooter? Is there any known side content? Actual worthwhile content at that, extra missions or something? Because if it's going inside every empty building to find 10 pieces of some obscure bullshit to get a trophy... that's crap and shouldn't count towards any measure of time invested. Is the 5 and a half hour being tossed around a speedrun? Or is it an honest attempt to play the game as intended?

Agreed, but does that logic hold up with The Order? Admittedly, I've only seen a handful of videos and haven't looked into the game much past that, but isn't it pretty much an on rails shooter? Is there any known side content? Actual worthwhile content at that, extra missions or something? Because if it's going inside every empty building to find 10 pieces of some obscure bullshit to get a trophy... that's crap and shouldn't count towards any measure of time invested. Is the 5 and a half hour being tossed around a speedrun? Or is it an honest attempt to play the game as intended?

I totally agree. All I've seen is a rails/corridor shooter with QTEs (double UGH). Now, I have heard a lot from the devs about building a world for other games and other experiences, which is great, but if we are talking about a linear shooter that's 5 hours long, then it's a problem.

UNLESS it's following the CoD model, where the SP campaign is simply a lead-in for the MP experience. No one buys the CoD games for the SP alone, and no one really cares that they are short and shallow. They are fun and explody and over the top and train you for the beginnings of playing other players.

But I don't think I've heard a lot about a robust MP mode...

I totally agree. All I've seen is a rails/corridor shooter with QTEs (double UGH). Now, I have heard a lot from the devs about building a world for other games and other experiences, which is great, but if we are talking about a linear shooter that's 5 hours long, then it's a problem.

UNLESS it's following the CoD model, where the SP campaign is simply a lead-in for the MP experience. No one buys the CoD games for the SP alone, and no one really cares that they are short and shallow. They are fun and explody and over the top and train you for the beginnings of playing other players.

Well actually I would counter that many people would buy CoD games for the single player, but not at $60 for 6 hours of playtime.

As it is, most people who prefer single player games, for many different reasons, simply wait until they are sale for $5-10, or pick them up used.

I guess it depends on if the game does what it achieves to do in 5 hours. If it does - I have no problem with it. Some classic PC shooters probably should have been done in 5 hours, but they keep going and going with the same old thing for another 5. I'd personally rather have a good to great 5 than a lot more of so-so.
I guess it also depends on how it was played. Was that a speed run or just a normal playthough? Did they skip a lot of things or is the game linear? Was the player really really good? Are there other modes like a NG+ or lots of additional side content?
My gripe with that game (and most others these days) is that it's 30fps. It's 2015 - screw that.

Well actually I would counter that many people would buy CoD games for the single player, but not at $60 for 6 hours of playtime.

As it is, most people who prefer single player games, for many different reasons, simply wait until they are sale for $5-10, or pick them up used.

Absolutely, and that was kind of the context/assumption I was making in terms of the context of this discussion since The Order is so new (comes out tomorrow?). I'm the same way. I don't have a lot of time for MP games like CoD, so I wait until they are super cheap and load up.

I've watched the first hour of gameplay of this thing on youtube, and what it appears you're getting here is a 4+ hour movie that's been padded out with interactive gameplay bits. The gameplay does look really uninteresting, but the movie part looks pretty good. But you could just watch that part on youtube.

There's room for short games and epic games in gaming, just as there's room for short stories and epic novels in books. Just be clear to the customer about what they're getting, first and foremost by setting an appropriate price, and you'll get no complaints.

It's a little weird when you're paying the same price for a game that can be completed in an afternoon and a game that you might put in hundreds or even thousands of hours playing. Something's always been a little off about the economics of gaming in that regard.

There's no multiplayer in 1886 as far as I know.

Nope, it's single player only. Which is fine (and sometimes preferable) for a game with a strong single player component. But I don't think The Order is that game...

I've watched the first hour of gameplay of this thing on youtube, and what it appears you're getting here is a 4+ hour movie that's been padded out with interactive gameplay bits. The gameplay does look really uninteresting, but the movie part looks pretty good. But you could just watch that part on youtube.
What's worse is it appears that half the game is filled with cutscenes, so it's only 2.5 hours of interaction... Why didn't they just make an animated movie if that's all they wanted? Oh yeah, then they couldn't sell it at $60 US...

Yes, this is a single-player campaign that is on rails with no incentive to play beyond the first playthrough as far as we know. That this is a full $60 game is frankly insulting. And I think I preordered this when I got my PS4...

Remember when Max Payne came out. People were crying about how short it was.

Was still fun to play through back in the day.

There have been quite a few other games in the past that were quite short as well. I still think it is lame to ask $60 for a really short game. Those types of games, if I am even interested at all, don't get bought until they are $5 or less.

Depending on if the game looks good or not, I just wait. I paid full price for FEAR when it came out, bought it for $5 yesterday.

You are telling us to wait 10 years to purchase a game?
I get what you are saying, maybe waiting for a few months to a year for a sale or prices to come down, but no, not 10 years. ;)

I had no interest in this game (not even a pirate), watched the ending last night. Its barely even a QTE, more like a movie. If the rest of the game was like the ending, I can see why people are disappointed.

Perfect length for me. I have little time for gaming (work and family), so short and high quality is perfect. I'm buying on Friday, can't wait.

I prefer high quality over quantity any day of the week, but for those with tons of free time to game all night and weekend, it makes sense they are butthurt.

Perfect length for me. I have little time for gaming (work and family), so short and high quality is perfect. I'm buying on Friday, can't wait.

I prefer high quality over quantity any day of the week, but for those with tons of free time to game all night and weekend, it makes sense they are butthurt.

Might want to do some research. While I agree with you generally (particularly re time to game, or lack thereof), I'm not sure the "quality" is there on this one...

Ahh, I'm thinking about the 90 min cutscenes in MGS4 :). Those were great.... May have fallen asleep a few times but still!

But that game was much longer then 5 hours. I think something like 15-20? A 5 hour SPEEDRUN could actually mean the game is very long, but it doesn't sound like that's the case. If a normal paced play through only last 5 hours, that's pathetic. For me that's like 3 gaming sit downs. I'd basically have the game done in a Saturday and Sunday. I'm sorry but even if it's quality that's a $30 game, tops.

I like the fact that Ru Weerasuriya ...said his team was not going to discuss length..., then goes on to discuss length.
I guess he's not part of the team.
:D

I like the fact that Ru Weerasuriya ...said his team was not going to discuss length..., then goes on to discuss length.
I guess he's not part of the team.
:D
Ru Weerasuriya said:
Sometimes I want to be floored, even if it's for a short amount of time," Weerasuriya said. "Gameplay length for me is so relative to quality. It's just like a movie. Just because a movie is three hours long, it doesn't make it better.
There he goes again. directly comparing video games and movies :rolleyes:.

Might want to do some research. While I agree with you generally (particularly re time to game, or lack thereof), I'm not sure the "quality" is there on this one...

No clue what you are talking about. Visually, it is unquestionably high quality. Are you talking about the story? Personally, video game writing just isn't challenging enough to put stock in. It's like judging a movie on how interactive it is.

No clue what you are talking about. Visually, it is unquestionably high quality. Are you talking about the story? Personally, video game writing just isn't challenging enough to put stock in. It's like judging a movie on how interactive it is.
To directly reference the context in which the CEO said that quality matters over quantity, we're talking about the whole of the experience. A game can be a good looker, but the gameplay has to be there to support it to qualify as a quality gaming experience.

Was that 99 extra hours you did, 99 repeats of the 1 hr? Seriously you can finish it in 1 hr. But there those additional hours hold a lot of new content. 5 hrs with 5 hrs of content doesn't compare.

It looks ok. I'm kind of tired of the dark, murky visuals inherent to many games, and the whole vampire/werewolf thing is getting tired, so it had better bring something new.

That said, I'm talking about the package. Ryse looked amazing and had a decent story, but the gameplay was so MEH that it's a thoroughly mediocre game. This thing reminds me A LOT of Ryse.

It looks ok. I'm kind of tired of the dark, murky visuals inherent to many games, and the whole vampire/werewolf thing is getting tired, so it had better bring something new.

That said, I'm talking about the package. Ryse looked amazing and had a decent story, but the gameplay was so MEH that it's a thoroughly mediocre game. This thing reminds me A LOT of Ryse.

What part of the package is seemingly low quality?

I don't think Ryse is a fair comparison, but I guess we will see. To me this looks like your standard Gears of War style gameplay. Nothing new, but more than button mashing and slow mo animations. The youtuber clearly pushed through the game fast too. I'd feel like it was a waste too if I played like that.

What's worse than a game that is only five hours long? The developer refusing to comment on it. What do you think about extremely short full priced games?

Haven't looked at this game at all so I won't comment on it specifically, but to answer the question, I wouldn't bother playing a free demo of a game that only gave me 5 hours of playtime. I sure has hell wouldn't pay full price for one.

Not sure that 5 hours is the average length, maybe this the time needed by a speedy and experienced player.

This reminds me that Super Mario Bros has been completed in less than 5 minutes...

Back