Developer Attempts 'Doom' Clone for the Amiga 500

erek

[H]F Junkie
Anyone excited? I've never really been a Doom player myself.

"KK of the demo scene group Altair is making a Doom clone for the Amiga 500. The system requirements are a mere 7 Mhz Amiga 500 with 1 MB of RAM!

Have a look:

Dread Ep 01 — making "Doom" clone for Amiga 500

Dread Ep 02 — "Doom" clone for Amiga 500 — Laying out the map...

You can find KK/Altair at the English Amiga Board."

https://slashdot.org/

This is awesome, I think most people don't appreciate just how amazing and revolutionary Amiga was. It was a machine that sucked me into a digital realm when I was a kid and made me into a PC enthusiast I am today. Nothing could have touched Amiga back in late 80s and very early 90s. And ironically, it was Doom that marked beginning of the end for Amiga and led to utter PC gaming dominance we see today.

This is awesome, I think most people don't appreciate just how amazing and revolutionary Amiga was. It was a machine that sucked me into a digital realm when I was a kid and made me into a PC enthusiast I am today. Nothing could have touched Amiga back in late 80s and very early 90s. And ironically, it was Doom that marked beginning of the end for Amiga and led to utter PC gaming dominance we see today.

I have an Amiga 2000 and Amiga 3000 in my closet. I remember how blown away I was when I saw the Amiga on release in 1985 - nothing since has blown me away like that.

Reactions: Meeho
like this
I have an Amiga 2000 and Amiga 3000 in my closet. I remember how blown away I was when I saw the Amiga on release in 1985 - nothing since has blown me away like that.

Same here, I started with Amiga 500+ (memory expansion to 1mg) I remember playing James Pond 2 as one of the first games on it and it was an exponential leap from C64, I could not believe all the colors I was seeing + music and sounds were out of this world. Then I upgraded to Amiga 1200 (AGA) and having a palette of 16.7m colors 256 of which could be seen on the screen at the same time was a huge step up. Back in Europe where I grew up and where Amiga had cult following we made fun of "losers" who paid so much more for a PC and got so much less for it. We thought of them as rich dummies. Then Doom came out and this was first time I wanted something that was not on Amiga. It did not help that commodore (Amiga) had one of the most inept managements in tech space. At this point, I am just happy I was able to witness such an amazing time in tech history.

...only 27 years too late for most Amiga fans :p
I'm still bitter about the Amiga store that unloaded an Amiga 1000 onto me swearing it was the best thing ever, and three days later the A500 and A2000 came out. This was back in the days where you didn't run back to Best Buy to return something like a little bitch. You bought it, you owned it.

I used to own an Amiga 500 years ago and still am looking to buy one for old times sake and to play a few games that I haven't been able to find anywhere else. I can get an emulator for it but in my case, I want to at least try and get the original setup. (Can find them on Ebay but still haven't found the great deal i'm hoping for o_O)

Well, I just bought an Amiga 500 last month, lol. Just in time..

CTXcRcH.jpg

They had about 6 of those setup in my old Highschool. Was really impressed with the paint program.

Back