Developer Accuses Microsoft Of Making "Rape Jokes"

Eh, lilbabycat is well mannered in PoE.

He's the one that said that he loves that type of behavior in the other thread. I go with the assumption that he wasn't lying when he said that. At least he doesn't do that when he's playing PoE with you. Nice to know. :)

LOL at all of the PC police here. That phrase can be correlated to going through any uncomfortable situation. Whether it's going through a root canal, getting your ass kicked, shooting out burning diarrhea, getting an arrow pulled from your ass cheek or thousands of other unpleasant situations.

The fact that there's actually people who think this phrase only links to rape makes me worried for their degrading state of mind. I would definitely want to steer clear from said persons.

LOL at all of the PC police here. That phrase can be correlated to going through any uncomfortable situation. Whether it's going through a root canal, getting your ass kicked, shooting out burning diarrhea, getting an arrow pulled from your ass cheek or thousands of other unpleasant situations.

The fact that there's actually people who think this phrase only links to rape makes me worried for their degrading state of mind. I would definitely want to steer clear from said persons.

It's pretty much the context in which it was used that makes it apparent what was meant by it. Almost everyone who has had to interact with people who really get into video games knows that there's a lot of immaturity and pointless trash talk that's tossed around so that someone can feel better about themselves when they're playing. I mean, that's the whole point of that experience, so some guy can feel good about himself for a few minutes until he has to go back into the real world. The talking is a thing he does because he has an innate need to insult and put down others in order to establish a pecking order and to have a story to boast about to his friends later. Think, "Yeah, I was the only one talking because my score was the highest. The other kids, they were just totally silent because of my amazing skillz! Hah hah!"

I know that even mentioning it's inappropriate threatens peoples' escapism and makes the real world they're trying to hide from into a thing that's harder to run away from, but it needs to be done. They have to understand that being good in a video game doesn't make real life any different once they put down the controller or walk away from the mouse. They're not winners in life just because they were good at pretend killing on a games machine so there just isn't a point in developing a subculture that places so much importance on your score and using obviously disrespectful language. They really need to focus on study or work so they can be productive members of a law abiding society before they get to play pretend murder online. Sure, not everyone is gifted with the things they need to be successful, but effort and focus along with proper manners will go a long way in helping them reach for more meaningful goals.

Beta and Gamma males white knighting for perceived slights against their feminazi master's sensibilities has got to be one of the most disgusting and offensive things I regularly see in our culture.

The fact that it is pervasive in forums like these is truly disheartening; the cancer spreads readily and easily.

Ya! Any woman that's not willing to sign and take the shitty end of a social contract is a feminazi! Any man that agrees with them in clearly a pussy.

Let's clear out these white knights so every thread can be a woman hating circle jerk like this one.
Men in Their Twenties Are Weak, Unmarriable Gamers

It's pretty much the context in which it was used that makes it apparent what was meant by it. Almost everyone who has had to interact with people who really get into video games knows that there's a lot of immaturity and pointless trash talk that's tossed around so that someone can feel better about themselves when they're playing. I mean, that's the whole point of that experience, so some guy can feel good about himself for a few minutes until he has to go back into the real world. The talking is a thing he does because he has an innate need to insult and put down others in order to establish a pecking order and to have a story to boast about to his friends later. Think, "Yeah, I was the only one talking because my score was the highest. The other kids, they were just totally silent because of my amazing skillz! Hah hah!"

I know that even mentioning it's inappropriate threatens peoples' escapism and makes the real world they're trying to hide from into a thing that's harder to run away from, but it needs to be done. They have to understand that being good in a video game doesn't make real life any different once they put down the controller or walk away from the mouse. They're not winners in life just because they were good at pretend killing on a games machine so there just isn't a point in developing a subculture that places so much importance on your score and using obviously disrespectful language. They really need to focus on study or work so they can be productive members of a law abiding society before they get to play pretend murder online. Sure, not everyone is gifted with the things they need to be successful, but effort and focus along with proper manners will go a long way in helping them reach for more meaningful goals.

Ahh, the typical unrelated tangent drivel of a fantail lover who is incapable of seeing the superiority of comets. :p

Ya! Any woman that's not willing to sign and take the shitty end of a social contract is a feminazi! Any man that agrees with them in clearly a pussy.

Let's clear out these white knights so every thread can be a woman hating circle jerk like this one.
Men in Their Twenties Are Weak, Unmarriable Gamers

To combat misogyny, most take to misandry and don't understand the irony. Fighting hate with hate is childish and intellectually dishonest. Do you really think more than a small percentage hate women?

To combat misogyny, most take to misandry and don't understand the irony. Fighting hate with hate is childish and intellectually dishonest. Do you really think more than a small percentage hate women?

No, but the few that do really know how to take over a thread and get an echo chamber going. It's the basis of any gathered crowd on the internet.

As a extreme right winger psychopath even I can acknowledge it was a rape reference and was stupid to say. Fortunately, I could care less what people say.

People who lose their minds over shit like this are too much. This is still not as dumb as Dongle-gate.

I for one am disgusted by those comments.

Rape is never funny, and should never be the subject of a joke......unless clowns are involved.

To combat misogyny, most take to misandry

I don't think it comes close to "most". It seems that, when discussing privilege, those who benefit from said privilege tend to have a natural knee-jerk reaction of feeling attacked. It's not about attacking men, it's about trying to foster an environment that's also welcoming to others. And, as corny as it might sound, actually trying to be a good person.

Beta and Gamma males white knighting for perceived slights against their feminazi master's sensibilities has got to be one of the most disgusting and offensive things I regularly see in our culture.

The fact that it is pervasive in forums like these is truly disheartening; the cancer spreads readily and easily.
All said white knighting does is make women look weak. What if guys were as sensitive about all the often violent comments made about them? Lorena Bobbitt was cheered by a lot of women, and what she did is still celebrated. A man sticking a knife in a woman's vagina wouldn't be hailed as a hero under any circumstance.

I remember a news story last year about a woman who made a guy give her oral sex at gunpoint, and the guy had to stop even at risk of being shot because she smelled so bad. This was considered a hilarious news story by many judging by the comments posted at the time. I can't imagine people would be laughing if it was a man forcing a woman at gunpoint to give him a blowjob.

My point is that hardcore feminists can't have their cake and eat it too. Either women are as tough as men or they're not. Which is it?

He probably would have said the same thing if he was playing against another guy. So yeah, settle down spazzes.

To combat misogyny, most take to misandry and don't understand the irony. Fighting hate with hate is childish and intellectually dishonest.
You're describing hypocrisy not irony. Irony would be if the people claiming this isn't a rape reference were then raped while the rapist said the phrase to them.

He probably would have said the same thing if he was playing against another guy. So yeah, settle down spazzes.

In which case I would avoid any and all contact with him.

UNLESS, I knew him and we were buds etc, etc. With familiarity comes a certain amount of freedom about what can and cannot be "joked about", in a (massively) public forum to come out with this shows extremely poor judgement.

You're describing hypocrisy not irony. Irony would be if the people claiming this isn't a rape reference were then raped while the rapist said the phrase to them.

The irony is that their methods and bias are equally the same and the opposite of that which they detest. I thought you were a teacher.

The irony is that their methods and bias are equally the same and the opposite of that which they detest. I thought you were a teacher.
Yes, I'm a professor and I'm teaching you the difference between hypocrisy and irony. You're misusing irony. Go look up what is and what is not irony because what you described above is hypocrisy.

Yes, I'm a professor and I'm teaching you the difference between hypocrisy and irony. You're misusing irony. Go look up what is and what is not irony because what you described above is hypocrisy.
It's both hypocritical and situationally ironic.

Hypocrisy is a type of situational irony.

No, hypocrisy *can* be a type of situational irony. That is not to say that *all* examples of hypocrisy are always situationally ironic. Whether they should be considered as a subset of irony is a matter of linguistic debate and I doubt very much that the three of you are actually reading the journal articles regarding this debate instead of relying on what you're finding via wikipedia, etc.

In his example, the actors are simply morally deficient. They aren't acting any differently from what any of us would expect otherwise...hence, no irony.

oh you caught me...there are no scholarly journals for the field of linguistics :rolleyes:

In which case I would avoid any and all contact with him.

UNLESS, I knew him and we were buds etc, etc. With familiarity comes a certain amount of freedom about what can and cannot be "joked about", in a (massively) public forum to come out with this shows extremely poor judgement.

That, or maybe you're just overreacting.

Thanks for proving my point.
How does it feel to be a sexist ass hat?

I have zero issue with being a sexist, because I understand the roles between genders. You on the other hand are nothing more than a perpetually aggrieved child that can't seem to keep their hysterical and histrionic emotions in check. Keep flapping your baby wings in horror at the affront that life imposes upon you, you miserable drech.

"whoever thought it was a good idea that I play against a producer is gonna get it"

Unlike what might have been a bad virtual rape/violence joke from the man.... his character easing his fist repeatedly into the virtual wolf fighter........ the woman in this case made an actual real life physical violence threat. But literally none of you caught that or cared.

Maybe she mean they were gonna get a nice thank you card? Yeah, that's probably it.

If the guy in your story was reported as shouting "I'm loving it" while doing the act, would you then protest McDonald's?

Refer to:

This will be my new catch phrase while commiting all immoral (real or virtual) acts. Not in a gruff manly voice, no, I will my best to match the commercials.

Seemed like a simple question. Apparently not for a "professor".
one of the things I've learned from reading your posts when someone quotes you or I allow my curiosity to get the better of me is that you enjoy arguing for the sake of arguing. I find myself getting dragged into pointless "discussions" with you because I make the mistake of giving you the benefit of the doubt that you might actually be trying to figure something out. rather than wasting my time digging up scholarly article references about the differences between hypocrisy and situational irony if you were actually interested in learning the differences you would go and do some research on the topic.

you think you know the answer and your primary goal in interacting with me is to try and disprove my points. it's ridiculous that you would question whether linguists even argue over this kind of stuff. it's best just to bow out of these types of discussions with you.

it doesn't mean you've proven your point or that your "question" was too difficult to answer, it simply means that discussing things with you is a waste of my time. if you are proud of that accomplishment it reinforces what I concluded a long time ago.

"whoever thought it was a good idea that I play against a producer is gonna get it"

Unlike what might have been a bad virtual rape/violence joke from the man.... his character easing his fist repeatedly into the virtual wolf fighter........ the woman in this case made an actual real life physical violence threat. But literally none of you caught that or cared.

Maybe she mean they were gonna get a nice thank you card? Yeah, that's probably it.

And clearly, based on the logic used in this thread, she meant that said person was going to receive uninvited sexual intercourse to their anus, because *that's what anal rapists always say before they anally rape their victims.

*: I'm pretty sure I might have heard that on a show once before someone might have gotten anally raped.

As a extreme right winger psychopath even I can acknowledge it was a rape reference and was stupid to say. Fortunately, I could care less what people say.

People who lose their minds over shit like this are too much. This is still not as dumb as Dongle-gate.

Portraying yourself as a fringe part of society to build sympathy for your POV and admiration to your audience that even the most degenerate soul cries, touche. I respect your psychological blitzkrieg.

However, I believe you are neither.

You can see whatever you want to see in between the lines. Just like how a lot of conspiracy theories are correct and many others are far-fetched. Why? Because people fall down the rabbit hole and can't get out to the point that's all they begin to see. Everything becomes a conspiracy legitimizing the authentic ones. How does this correlate? You're seeing what someone else was seeing before having witnessed it yourself to see if you came to that conclusion on your own or by someone else's guiding hand (hence the article).

Lets just go over Shit That Only Gamers Say, shall we?

Get raped! (followed by or preceded by various offensive language)
Dude. I'm going to F***KING KILL YOU!
Ohh yeah B*TCH! TAKE IT! TAKE IT UP THE @SS!
You F**KING N*GG*R!

Now. Does that mean the individual gamers that say such things are rapists, killers, homosexuals, and or racists? No. What it means is they are in the heat of the moment and say the thing they are most often times held back from saying because someone told them that they should never say such a thing. What does a fucking child do when you tell them to not do something? They're going to eventually do it. It's all about suppression. What to talk about all the things that offend people, lets talk about how far society has gone to suppress people from speaking freely without being judged or associated by groups.

Portraying yourself as a fringe part of society to build sympathy for your POV and admiration to your audience that even the most degenerate soul cries, touche. I respect your psychological blitzkrieg.

However, I believe you are neither.

You can see whatever you want to see in between the lines. Just like how a lot of conspiracy theories are correct and many others are far-fetched. Why? Because people fall down the rabbit hole and can't get out to the point that's all they begin to see. Everything becomes a conspiracy legitimizing the authentic ones. How does this correlate? You're seeing what someone else was seeing before having witnessed it yourself to see if you came to that conclusion on your own or by someone else's guiding hand (hence the article).

Lets just go over Shit That Only Gamers Say, shall we?

Get raped! (followed by or preceded by various offensive language)
Dude. I'm going to F***KING KILL YOU!
Ohh yeah B*TCH! TAKE IT! TAKE IT UP THE @SS!
You F**KING N*GG*R!

Now. Does that mean the individual gamers that say such things are rapists, killers, homosexuals, and or racists? No. What it means is they are in the heat of the moment and say the thing they are most often times held back from saying because someone told them that they should never say such a thing. What does a fucking child do when you tell them to not do something? They're going to eventually do it. It's all about suppression. What to talk about all the things that offend people, lets talk about how far society has gone to suppress people from speaking freely without being judged or associated by groups.

You know, let's be honest. This post has ALOT of truth in it. Quiet honestly I am surprised anytime I see two people gaming and there aren't rape or racist jokes.

MS has plenty of shit to rip them on. This is just an flat out overreaction. I watched this several times at this point and I just don't see the problem.

Back