DeusEx 1+2 $5 on Steam

its a gritty and downright refreshing game to play, and it was incredibly innovative and influential. its one of the best pc games of all time because it earned its place on that list, not because people blow loads reminiscing about how fun it is/was. halo didnt innovate shit, it just brought fps to mainstream awareness by transposing the basic pc formula to consoles...and on pc, it kind of just sat there, making money.

Actually Halo 1 did innovate some things. First, it was one of the first games to feature regenerative health. Second, it imposed a 2 gun limit and 8 grenade limit. Other games would let you carry as much as you wanted.

Actually Halo 1 did innovate some things. First, it was one of the first games to feature regenerative health. Second, it imposed a 2 gun limit and 8 grenade limit. Other games would let you carry as much as you wanted.

I think many will agree with me that regenerative health has caused more harm than good :p As far as the limits go, is that really anything that is groundbreaking? Limiting our fun? :p

Regen health is terrible -- straight outta console.

Sorry, but I wholeheartedly disagree with you.
Nothing worse than having to backtrack hoping you can find a health pack, or playing ridiculously over-safe because you have a sliver of life left and enemies are all over the place, bringing the game to a snail's pace.

Regenerative health/shields may be a "noob friendly" design, but it helps make games a lot faster paced and (IMHO) more fun to play.
Gears of War (either one of them) would be nearly impossible on insane if you had to find health packs.

I've got the original game on disc and tried installing it on my win 7 x64 system (Q6600, 9600GSO) and it won't work even with the DX 10 mod. It tries but keeps crashing to the desktop. Any suggestions?

I've got the original game on disc and tried installing it on my win 7 x64 system (Q6600, 9600GSO) and it won't work even with the DX 10 mod. It tries but keeps crashing to the desktop. Any suggestions?

Patched? The Dx10 version is only tested with version 1.112fm of the game ( mentioned under Supported games @ http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/ ). I jumped on this deal (thanks OP) and have been playing it with the Dx10 mod without major issue. There is some "stuff" going on with my second monitor, unlike other games, but this is a known issue mentioned on the mod page and it doesn't affect gameplay or my main monitor.

Feels good to be playing my favorite game of all time again. Surprisingly, so far, it has really lived up to my nostalgic feelings.

Patched? The Dx10 version is only tested with version 1.112fm of the game ( mentioned under Supported games @ http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/ ). I jumped on this deal (thanks OP) and have been playing it with the Dx10 mod without major issue. There is some "stuff" going on with my second monitor, unlike other games, but this is a known issue mentioned on the mod page and it doesn't affect gameplay or my main monitor.

Feels good to be playing my favorite game of all time again. Surprisingly, so far, it has really lived up to my nostalgic feelings.

I'll look for the patch and see if that fixes the problem...-thanks.

:( $20 now. I still haven't play Deus Ex 1. What makes matters worse, I still pronounce it Deuce, even after being corrected for nearly 5 years now.

I'll look for the patch and see if that fixes the problem...-thanks.

I did the patch and now it loads but the graphics are very distorted- like barrel distortion- it is set at 1600x1200 32bit color. Any recommendations?

So what exactly are some of the best FPS-type games ever, oh Sultan of the Shooters?

P.S. "Halo is in the top 3.42 Xbox games ever made" makes no sense, the number must be an integer.

If you want me to list the pure shooters that are better than Deus Ex's shooting, then fine: Unreal Tournament, Quake, and yes, even Halo 1 (imho). That wasn't my point though. I just said that it's overhyped because everyone remembers the novelty of its (relatively shallow) system of rpg-lite stat manipulation.

P.S. I know 3.42 makes no sense. That's why I worded it like that, oh Detector of Sarcasm.

I did the patch and now it loads but the graphics are very distorted- like barrel distortion- it is set at 1600x1200 32bit color. Any recommendations?

I know, I had the same experience. That's the color distortion I'm talking about. I never found a fix, but maybe the later DX loaders will make it look better for you.

*edit* AHA! http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/ Here's that DX10 loader (I wish there was a DX9...) and on that site is a comparison of the 16 to 32 bit color transition. That's the solution.

*edit again* Here's the DX9 loader: http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/

Halo PC was and still is my all time favorite online multiplayer shooter/game/event/whatever. I never laughed or had so much fun in a game before. BF 1942's Wake Island Demo would be 2nd.

Halo PC was and still is my all time favorite online multiplayer shooter/game/event/whatever. I never laughed or had so much fun in a game before. BF 1942's Wake Island Demo would be 2nd.

Ahhh Wake Island was so awesome... I used to go to LAN parties where that island was all we'd play.

If you want me to list the pure shooters that are better than Deus Ex's shooting, then fine: Unreal Tournament, Quake, and yes, even Halo 1 (imho). That wasn't my point though. I just said that it's overhyped because everyone remembers the novelty of its (relatively shallow) system of rpg-lite stat manipulation.

P.S. I know 3.42 makes no sense. That's why I worded it like that, oh Detector of Sarcasm.

I know, I had the same experience. That's the color distortion I'm talking about. I never found a fix, but maybe the later DX loaders will make it look better for you.

*edit* AHA! http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/ Here's that DX10 loader (I wish there was a DX9...) and on that site is a comparison of the 16 to 32 bit color transition. That's the solution.

*edit again* Here's the DX9 loader: http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/

I used the DeusEx Fixxer 1.1 and that seemed to fix everything. Not sure which renderer it is using, but 16x12 32 bit color looks good...

And yet, Deus Ex is still considered one of the best/most important PC games of all time by most critics. Even Halo is considered less important as a game in general. And while all of those may be better pure shooters, they don't have multiple solutions to various problems the way Deus Ex does, they don't have an engaging story the way Deus Ex does, etc.

It was considered important due to its RPG elements, rare at the time, still extremely rare in shooters, and great storyline, also still rare in general. And just for reference, how many games even feature its (relatively shallow) system of rpg-lite stat manipulation even today? STALKER? Fallout 3? (which was obviously based on a different classic game and brought in a new direction). Otherwise not a whole lot.

Pure shooters are a dime a dozen, and the good ones probably sell better than a game such as deus ex, but they also will not be remembered in the long run because they didn't break any new ground.

DX1 is worth it just for the first level at the statue of liberty.

This was one of the first games I had on my original gaming pc. Gonna have to bite.

Halo 1 did not have regenerative health, it was only 2 and up that had it.

Halo 1 did not have regenerative health, it was only 2 and up that had it.

Halo 1 had regenerative health for the first portion of your health bar. Then you had the health bar that would go down once the regenerative portion was depleted.

Halo 1 had regenerative health for the first portion of your health bar. Then you had the health bar that would go down once the regenerative portion was depleted.
That was your shield, lol. I guess it could still be considered health, but it still did have health packs and such scattered throughout the game.

Today's gamers are such emo piles of shit. You are not a gamer unless you face down 8 cyberdemons with no health packs!

Today's gamers are such emo piles of shit. You are not a gamer unless you face down 8 cyberdemons with no health packs!

Umm, I would say just about everyone plays games now days. I hardly doubt everyone is an "emo pile of shit." I'm not for one. :(

And yes, I can beat 8 cyberdemons without any health packs. Just point me to the game with the Cyberdemons, first. ;) hehe.

---

So i got this game a few days ago. Any one else get a little motion sickness from it? I rarely ever get motion sickness, the last time being when I first picked up NWN (camera swiverling + learning = nausea).

Back