Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Performance and IQ Preview @ [H]

I downloaded high quality video of actual gameplay to try and judge IQ and the aesthetic, at ultra settings.

I wasn't impressed, now someone posted reports of bugs at some of the higher settings so there's that.

The problem with judging a video game from a video comes down to how good of a codec is being used and the immersion factor you lose as you're a spectator as opposed to a participant.

Well you should play it anyway, I imagine you will love it.

Totally blindsided me, I just found a friend of mine playing it on steam so I checked the store page and HOLY SHIT IT'S MYST
A few of the games on my VR watchlist.

upload_2016-8-26_15-34-22.png

We happy few will support VR? Good to know.
Actually I talked to the game developer on that two days ago, and NO, We Happy Few will not support VR. It was my misunderstanding.

Obduction should be a great add / review for VR, though. Graphically beautiful and pretty demanding.

What a complete and utter bullshit. Do you even have this game? Reports of people playing on a 970:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...postcount=1070
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...postcount=1076
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...postcount=1060
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...postcount=1810

Digital Foundry:

Performance in ACTUAL game, not the non-representative benchmark:

md_computerbasetcu5r.png

Source: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided im Benchmark

EDIT: I am following NeoGAF performance thread for DE:MD and I have a couple of pointers.

It is recommended to disable Contact Hardening Shadows completely, as it's bugged in it current state (plus it's very demanding, it's AMD's response to Nvidia's PCSS, but it's inferior). The bug is that the distant shadows are not rendered at all when CHS is enabled. Compare:
https://abload.de/img/s3_chs_ultracmub2.png
https://abload.de/img/s3_vhovu9y.png
http://i.pi.gy/dPRD.png
http://i.pi.gy/ORqJ.png

Deus Ex Mankind Divided : Screenshot Comparison

Very high shadows are bugged in some places, and High shadows look better:
Deus Ex Mankind Divided : Screenshot Comparison

Very High AO is bugged and introduces some shimmering artifacts even with TAA enabled, and it also does not apply to the character and it's immediate surrounding, it's better to use "On" option (although the disctance at which it is applied is shorter).

The build in sharpening option is too aggressive, leading to oversharpening, but the blur caused by TAA can be mitigated by using ReShade/SweetFX to apply lumasharpen to the image. Supposedly the results are very good (Durante uses TAA + lumasharpen in Deus Ex and swears by it).

That's all I can remember :)

It funny cause these results dont jive up with the result [H] found to be true! What does that tell you?
14720516156ds7JLNduD_4_1.gif

:)

The fact that you're comparing this to Oblivion says it all.

What exactly do you mean? Pretty sure it's the same tripe that was thrown out back in 2005 and proven time and time again (at the time and in retrospect) to be falliceous, but go ahead.

What exactly do you mean? Pretty sure it's the same tripe that was thrown out back in 2005 and proven time and time again (at the time and in retrospect) to be falliceous, but go ahead.
I don't know what you mean by that, but Oblivion came out in 2006

oblivion-highend.png

And it ran like ass, as has every game they built on the creation engine, even ten years later. Lol

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion GPU Performance

oblivion-midrange-bloom.png

not touching this till the dx12 patch.

The game looks really nice here and there. Lots of details. The built in benchmark probably demonstrates some of the better graphics. It earns the hardware requirements.Some people try to compare this to doom on optimization but doom just cant compare to the detail in this game. It does have some funky look now and then. Almost cellshaded. Dark outlines, light washed out textures.

Seems to be using nvidia Apex/Physx for cloth. Would have preferred havok for the better performance. But that belongs to MS now so maybe that cant happen. Beyond that the cloth physics are nice. Hair looks good too. (from videos, wont play till dx12 patch)

The benchmark shows close to worst case I think. There is a lot in that scene.

Same here. Have not even bought it yet, when the dx12 patch hits, and no quick reports of disaster drop, I'll pick it up. I think the more of this that happens, the more game devs will accelerate the dx12 release of the game as that is holding up much of the money.

Now what if the DX 12 jump in performance for AMD GPU's is like Doom with Vulcan? The PS4 version IQ is similar to the PC High Quality at 1080p albeit probably around 30fps (more consistent). Considering PC GPU's are way more powerful this could be another surprise or another Tomb Raider with virtually zero difference in performance. I believe the former but expect the latter :D

The game looks rather awesome - lighting is outstanding, I like the volumetric lights and looks best on Ultra. For the Nano it does not hit too much on the performance. TempAA does an outstanding job on edges while blurring is the only side effect. The sharpen filter sucks docky and usually does what sharpen filters do - add noise and not resolution. Parallax Occulsion Mapping looks stupid on the highest setting - it distorts the textures too much stretching the textures, making roads look like rocks sticking up where a car would have a rather hard time rolling, walking on the road would be a torturous endeavor, bricks that stick out from the mortar several inches (setting to just on looks best for IQ to me). Depth of Field is very expensive, almost 10fps - good thing I don't like it for gaming (motionless images it is good but for games not in my opinion). Motion blur in this game actually does not look too bad mainly because it is not overly done and cost about 1-2fps. I can't tell any difference between Very High and Ultra textures probably because of TempAA blurring, even high to very high is hard to really discern the difference. I can see with a more powerful GPU and not using TAA there could be a bigger difference. I havn't played too much with the shadows yet. Screen place reflections are rather awesome as well, water puddles, shiny objects will reflect the environment, I like the lower settings on this which to me looks more realistic than a mirror setting.

I think I am going to wait for the DX 12 before I start the game, it plays good with very high settings to Ultra but with no depth of field and a few other choices which to me looks better on the Nano with default clocks (driver settings) with in game benchmark of 45fps at 1440p. On a FreeSync monitor it looks really smooth. I have not tested it out yet on a 1070.

Now what if the DX 12 jump in performance for AMD GPU's is like Doom with Vulcan? The PS4 version IQ is similar to the PC High Quality at 1080p albeit probably around 30fps (more consistent). Considering PC GPU's are way more powerful this could be another surprise or another Tomb Raider with virtually zero difference in performance. I believe the former but expect the latter :D

The game looks rather awesome - lighting is outstanding, I like the volumetric lights and looks best on Ultra. For the Nano it does not hit too much on the performance. TempAA does an outstanding job on edges while blurring is the only side effect. The sharpen filter sucks docky and usually does what sharpen filters do - add noise and not resolution. Parallax Occulsion Mapping looks stupid on the highest setting - it distorts the textures too much stretching the textures, making roads look like rocks sticking up where a car would have a rather hard time rolling, walking on the road would be a torturous endeavor, bricks that stick out from the mortar several inches (setting to just on looks best for IQ to me). Depth of Field is very expensive, almost 10fps - good thing I don't like it for gaming (motionless images it is good but for games not in my opinion). Motion blur in this game actually does not look too bad mainly because it is not overly done and cost about 1-2fps. I can't tell any difference between Very High and Ultra textures probably because of TempAA blurring, even high to very high is hard to really discern the difference. I can see with a more powerful GPU and not using TAA there could be a bigger difference. I havn't played too much with the shadows yet. Screen place reflections are rather awesome as well, water puddles, shiny objects will reflect the environment, I like the lower settings on this which to me looks more realistic than a mirror setting.

DX12 will help if there's a CPU bottleneck, that's about it unless they're going to patch in shader intrinsics or something.

You'll never get the same jump seen in DOOM Vulkan because that performance boost wast contingent on OpenGL running like shit.

iirc AMD had already updated their driver for opengl doom to run close tothe nvidia cards. eg.

The doom gains are a mix of factors including intrinsics and async

with deus ex it depends on what they do asynchronously, and the better draw call situation should help since the game should be doing a lot of that. I am not sure tressFX counts for much performance, so doing that alone asynchronously won't help much. If they do some form of AA using async, that might help. The game should be streaming a lot of content too so async should help there.

Just by going dx12 the experience should be better anyway.

To my knowledge OGL still runs like shit, all reviews using OGL (done recently) still show GCN doing badly.

Anyway, even if it were true and OGL performance was improved, my point stands; there will be smaller gains if OGL is fixed. Only reason it was such a huge deal is because people were seeing like +30% performance boost.

ASUS Radeon RX 460 STRIX Gaming 4 GB review

Last edited:
don't know if they bothered to update their doom results with the new driver.

of course if the baseline perf gets better the gains would be smaller. That's not saying much. If the nvidia cards were faster at doom, the AMD gains in vulkan over them would be smaller. A given. but the situation is not that.

this is using driver 16.8.1 for RX460 being reviewed.

don't understand the second part, how nvidia performs is irrelevant as far as AMD's gains in vulkan are concerned

it's not like anyone is going to benchmark DOOM with the latest driver (372.54) (and updated vulkan runtime officially supported) and compare to how AMD did lol.. you compare to how nvidia was doing with the previous driver

in fact, latest driver reduced CPU times in DOOM vulkan by 75% and nobody batted an eye.

that's a reduction in CPU times by a factor of 4.

DX12 will help if there's a CPU bottleneck, that's about it unless they're going to patch in shader intrinsics or something.

You'll never get the same jump seen in DOOM Vulkan because that performance boost wast contingent on OpenGL running like shit.
Except for in Doom Nvidia runs like shit in Vulcan, the problem I have when running Vulcan with the 1070 is it takes forever for the loading screens plus it will crash here and there. On the Nano using Vulcan it has better performance then the 1070 using Vulcan or OpenGL. I am hoping Nvidia works with ID and get Vulcan running better with Doom since it will affect Quake Wars when that is launch and also Doom VR.

If Deus Ex can effectively use all the shading/compute power of Fiji it maybe a repeat. I kind of doubt it will be the case, Doom API change was an incredible boost for AMD hardware. Since Deus Ex uses the same engine as Hitman - Dawn Engine (modified with extras) DX 12 performance should see some significant performance increase like in Hitman I would expect.

Except for in Doom Nvidia runs like shit in Vulcan, the problem I have when running Vulcan with the 1070 is it takes forever for the loading screens plus it will crash here and there. On the Nano using Vulcan it has better performance then the 1070 using Vulcan or OpenGL. I am hoping Nvidia works with ID and get Vulcan running better with Doom since it will affect Quake Wars when that is launch and also Doom VR.

If Deus Ex can effectively use all the shading/compute power of Fiji it maybe a repeat. I kind of doubt it will be the case, Doom API change was an incredible boost for AMD hardware. Since Deus Ex uses the same engine as Hitman - Dawn Engine (modified with extras) DX 12 performance should see some significant performance increase like in Hitman I would expect.

I had no trouble with load times using vulkan, not even day one when the patch hit, it ran perfectly fine.

Anyway I've heard people talk a lot about the huge gains for amd in hitman dx12, which is interesting because the performance reviews don't seem to show any big gains

LL

Biggest gain is 10% for 390x,and it's completely gone at 4K. They're not using the same engine afaik deus ex uses modified glacier 2 and hitman is glacier 3 but whatever.

LL

I had no trouble with load times using vulkan, not even day one when the patch hit, it ran perfectly fine.

Anyway I've heard people talk a lot about the huge gains for amd in hitman dx12, which is interesting because the performance reviews don't seem to show any big gains

LL

Biggest gain is 10% for 390x,and it's completely gone at 4K. They're not using the same engine afaik deus ex uses modified glacier 2 and hitman is glacier 3 but whatever.

LL
Thanks for the correction, I should have been looking closer in that I was comparing AMD vs Nvidia in DX 12 where Nvidia drops down significantly where a stock Nano even beats a Titan X, while in reality AMD just gains a little. Looks like I assume Nvidia was about the same in both API's which in this case they are not.

As for Doom if you respawn in Vulkan, it takes forever for my 1070 to restart while on the Nano it is rather quick - I am not the only person seeing this behavior. I have not checked recently either since I moved over to the Nano for Doom due to a better experience in that game.

Random FYI:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Eidos Montreal\Deus Ex: MD\Graphics]

"EnableDX12"=dword:00000000
"Fullscreen"=dword:00000001
"ExclusiveFullscreen"=dword:00000001
"Monitor"=dword:00000000
"WindowLeft"=dword:00000140
"WindowTop"=dword:000000b4
"WindowWidth"=dword:00000780
"WindowHeight"=dword:00000438
"UserWindowWidth"=dword:00000780
"UserWindowHeight"=dword:00000438
"WindowMaximized"=dword:00000000
"MultiMonitorEnabled"=dword:00000000
"IsBezelCorrected"=dword:00000000
"AspectRatio"=dword:00000000
"FullscreenWidth"=dword:00000d70
"FullscreenHeight"=dword:000005a0
"MultiSamplingQuality"=dword:00000001
"RefreshRate"=dword:0000003c
"VSync"=dword:00000001
"TripleBuffering"=dword:00000000
"HighPrecisionRT"=dword:00000001
"FOVCorrection"=dword:000003cf
"NormalizedGammaDecodingPower"=dword:000001f4
"TextureQuality"=dword:00000004
"TextureFiltering"=dword:00000004
"ShadowQuality"=dword:00000001
"CHSQuality"=dword:00000000
"TAA"=dword:00000001
"TesselationQuality"=dword:00000001
"DOFQuality"=dword:00000000
"MotionBlur"=dword:00000000
"VolumetricLighting"=dword:00000002
"ChromaticAberration"=dword:00000001
"Sharpen"=dword:00000001
"AmbientOcclusionQuality"=dword:00000001
"Bloom"=dword:00000001
"ScreenSpaceReflectionQuality"=dword:00000002
"SubSurfaceScattering"=dword:00000001
"ClothPhysics"=dword:00000001
"POMQuality"=dword:00000001
"LevelOfDetail"=dword:00000003
"EnableDX12StablePowerState"=dword:00000000
"EnableDX12AsyncCompute"=dword:00000001
"DisableDX12BufferPooling"=dword:00000000
"DisableDXGISwapChain1"=dword:00000000

"MaxMultiGPUCount"=dword:00000004
"Stereoscopic3DMode"=dword:00000000
"StereoSeparation"=dword:0000004b
"StereoPopOut"=dword:000000fa
"StereoNearSeparationMultiplier"=dword:0000015e
"Stereoscopic3DAMDSwapEyes"=dword:00000000
"MaxFrameLatency"=dword:00000000
That looks interesting, so have you tried this? Does it work or does it have serious issues?

I think I am going to wait for the DX 12 before I start the game, it plays good with very high settings to Ultra but with no depth of field and a few other choices which to me looks better on the Nano with default clocks (driver settings) with in game benchmark of 45fps at 1440p. On a FreeSync monitor it looks really smooth. I have not tested it out yet on a 1070.

this game using modified Glacier 2 engine use in hitman. just look how it goes with AMD hardware in DX12 with hitman for a hint. maybe we will something similar or maybe we will not.

This game is killer... it will kill your graphics card. LOL.

Really wanted to get this working on my new 4K TV but it's way too intense. Even at absolute minimum settings, can't get over 60fps (and that's with a Titan X, mind you). Experimented with adaptive v-sync at 30Hz, which worked but was too choppy for my taste.

On my other machine, tried to do 1440P Surround, similarly no dice. With GTX 1080 SLI it still wasn't breaking 60 on lowest settings. There were some other issues with the UI on Surround as well.

That said, on one monitor 1440P, I was able to get the game working on Ultra settings with the 1080 SLI. With that setup, I was getting a smooth 70FPS, which was nice. I mean, the game looks good but not that good. I don't know.

Last edited:
That looks interesting, so have you tried this? Does it work or does it have serious issues?
Those flags don't do anything, yet. The game still runs in DX11 if you enable the DX12 flag. You can quarantine existing code in your program with a simple constant and then check its definition, which is probably what the devs did here until DX12 is ready.
Does this happen to anybody else?
GTX 1080, driver 372.70

ssNI4zO.jpg
Yes, CHS is broken right now. I'll be ecstatic if this gets fixed in the patch next week.

Fury X held up well with Ram going way over 4gb. Looks like AMD profiled this game ram well for Fiji in the drivers. HBM bandwidth and wider bus allows less interrupts to the GPU for memory transfers from main memory (probably aided by a large cache or buffer) mitigated the limited 4gb Vram. I also noticed performance wise using high to very high textures did not really affect performance with the Nano. Ultra did some what but I had zero IQ improvement with it, TAA looks like it just blurs too much to see the difference.

I would be interested in seeing how mainboard memory bandwidth and PCIe speeds affects Fiji cards in this game. Maybe I will do some tests when I get a chance with this. Waiting more for DX 12 to take the splurge.

my 980Ti does not get 50+ fps running at 2560x1440 with everything maxed .. Dont know what they were runing that on but ...

my 980Ti does not get 50+ fps running at 2560x1440 with everything maxed .. Dont know what they were runing that on but ...

I think everyone id disabling some settings because they're bugged, if im not mistaken it was ultra AO, CHS and ultra shadows , check back in this thread

Computerbase.de testing doesn't use canned benchmark, actual gameplay

Back