Deus Ex:IW Worth Buying?

MapleSyrupMods

Bring on Titan X Volta
Is the game worth buying? I have the first one, but never really have played it. How is it graphics wise?

graphically its a beast... on my system (though shitty card) I would be lucky with everything turned off and at 640x480 to get like 7 fps, lol. That was in the free demo I got in CGW.

Visually it's the shits. Level architecture is as complex as the original Quake; textures are low enough resolution to give Operation Flashpoint a run for its money; lousy use of lighting; worse animation; laughable physics; plenty of poorly rendered objects; and to top this poor presentation off, it runs like molassis and crashes frequently while loading.

Even the XBox version stinks, and that's saying something.

I wouldn't try it. Like everyone else said, it runs terrible and I didn't think it was a good quality game anyway.

Originally posted by OTL
Level architecture is as complex as the original Quake;

Original Quake's level design is a masterpiece compared to DXIW. Not to mention original quake levels are about 28 times bigger than the IW ones.

DX:IW blows. Absolutely disgusting. And the original DX is my 2nd most favorite game, right after System Shock 2.

Somewhere along the way, developers had to butcher the game so that is at least runs on xbox, although quite badly.

Here is a pic I made a while ago, the preview screens VS final product:

dx2.jpg

Originally posted by t10
Original Quake's level design is a masterpiece compared to DXIW. Not to mention original quake levels are about 28 times bigger than the IW ones.

DX:IW blows. Absolutely disgusting. And the original DX is my 2nd most favorite game, right after System Shock 2.

Somewhere along the way, developers had to butcher the game so that is at least runs on xbox, although quite badly.

Here is a pic I made a while ago, the preview screens VS final product:

dx2.jpg

Befores looks better to me :(

I didn't even beat the game, I got to ellis island and just stopped playing. Buy system shock 2 instead (or get it free of the net, I believe it's abandonware). System shock 2 = doubleplusgood.

I'm so happy the company lost their shirts on this game :)

Maybe that will teach them to make quality games and not dump shit out the door before christmas time.

Did i mention i'm very happy they lost a shitload of cash publishing this game. :)

yes, because the game was butchered for xbox.

Just like Knights of the Old Republic was...:rolleyes:

Point your fingers somewhere else. Console architecture wasn't to blame for that shit.

i think it is pretty fun actually, just for a good game to play through... i wouldnt recommend it tho, go buy battlefield 1942 vietnam in a couple weeks or ut2004

-warsaw

Originally posted by WickedAngel
Just like Knights of the Old Republic was...:rolleyes:

Point your fingers somewhere else. Console architecture wasn't to blame for that shit.

Nope, same crap. KOTOR is good, but imagine how better and deeper it would have been if it wasn't designed of consoles also.

Anyone who loved Deus Ex could not disagree more. The level sizes are probably about 1/4 the size of the first game due to xbox memory limitations and the texures are also very low res due to xbox memory limitations.

The game is a piece of crap. Poor graphics, runs slow, many bugs, shipping version used console ini file for PC. They basicly took almost everything good out of the first game. I would not recommend you pay anything for this game. Have to send them a message that they can't screw with gamers by putting crap like this out.

Originally posted by Devnull
Anyone who loved Deus Ex could not disagree more. The level sizes are probably about 1/4 the size of the first game due to xbox memory limitations and the texures are also very low res due to xbox memory limitations.

The game is a piece of crap. Poor graphics, runs slow, many bugs, shipping version used console ini file for PC. They basicly took almost everything good out of the first game. I would not recommend you pay anything for this game. Have to send them a message that they can't screw with gamers by putting crap like this out.

Bingo.

I actually purchased this POS game for PC.

The config files would say something like this:

% X value for PC should be 0.5
% X value for XBOX should be 1.0
X = 1.0

And this is the PC version config file. I mean these dev tards didnt even edit the friggin config file for the PC game!!!!! I mean WTF ???!?!?

If you fix all the xbox faults, I would still bitch about the quirky storyline, and how liniar the game actually is. You auctions dont affect shit untill the very last level... i mean WTF ??!!? But even with that shit, I would enjoy the game somewhat. But the way it is now... you'd be better off replaying the original.

my problem with the game wasn't the graphics. i found the graphics to be quite nice. it just felt like a let down to me, after all the waiting i had done after deus ex i was expecting something so much better.

the interface made me want to shoot someone. whoever decided to change the original interface deserves a pink slip. it didn't have the deus ex/system shock skill advancement that i was so in love with, meaning you could change to do whatever you wanted anytime. kind of a let down again.the plot was predictable. another let down.

all in all, i just hope that eidos doesn't screw up thief the way they scred this game up. and from what i heard..i don't have a good feeling.....

Because I am such a fan of the original, and because I consider it one of the best PC games of all time, it makes the sequel that much more of a disappointment to me. Maybe I'll see how Thief 3 turns out... *Sigh*

Originally posted by Cigolon
my problem with the wasn't the graphics. i found the graphics to be quite nice. it just felt like a let down to me, after all the waiting i had done after deus ex i was expecting something so much better.

Exactly. Well, at least they haven't been hyping it for several years like good ol Duke Nukem Fornever.

It's sad when you're looking for older titles since the new ones seem to be pretty crappy. DXIW once again proves that good graphics are no subsitute for actual content.

My complaint with DXIW is that it's 2 CD's, but is kinda short on play time. It had alot of promise, but it's been butchered so badly it's not funny.

Wow, I never realized those before shots looked so good!

I played the game on the PC for about 15 minutes before I gave up. The graphics were... to be honest, horrible. They looked mediocre, ran HORRIBLY on my 9700 (Probably ~ 15 -20 FPS in 1024), and the main character looked like he had a 20x20 texture stretched over the model. You could honestly count the pixels on him. Everything looked washed out, the architexture was bland, and it was just dissapointing.

The loads were annoying. Walk into a hallway, into two rooms and "Loading". Get a card, go back out. "Loading" Walk down another room. "Loading".

Combat was near impossible because of the frame rate. It wasn't a fun experience, it was frustrating.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... If you want to really enjoy Invisible War you are going to need an XBOX.

I tried both the PC and console versions of the game and found that I had a lot more fun on the XBOX. The controls were more much more fluid and the graphics looked exactly the same.

So if anyone asks me if it's worth it to buy DX2 for the PC, then I'd have to say no. :(

Console games have proven that they can be quite large without an extreme amount of memory.

Halo and Metroid Prime come to mind.

I guess I'm alone here.

I am playing this on a non o/clocked 9500 pro and the graphics are great. I'm enjoying all the levels; I think the open-end thing works fine for me and I think the game is deep enough.

I bought this game used because deus ex 1 was my alltime favorite and I thought this would be a disappointment but it isn't - so far I like it just as much, although differently, than deus ex 1.

I don't know why folks liked it. I always finish games at medium or higher levels and thought mohaa sucked body parts in the sniper part so maybe I'm wierd like that but this game is really fun and my system, inadequately tweaked, runs it beautifully - even my jaded family sees me gaming and goes ... ooh.

My two cents, sorry, I'm so glad I bought it.

Console games have proven that they can be quite large without an extreme amount of memory.

Halo and Metroid Prime come to mind.

I agree with you about Metroid, but Halo wasn't as big as it let on, considering that it did a fair amount of recycling of its indoor levels.

game was ok ...didnt leave me all warm and fuzzy inside like the original tho....

I'm gonna have to agree that this game is terrible. After seeing the XBOX version at a friend house I thought to myself... "this game looks fun and PC versions almost alway look better..." so I went and got it. I installed it, fired it up, set all the settings, out it on 1024x768 like all the rest of my games and started it up. Watched the pretty crappy pre rendered cut scene and got to a load screen. Once the level loaded, it crashed to the desktop. DAMNIT... I clicked it in the taskbar and magically the game came up. OK, minor annoyance. I start walking around and there are major artifacts all over. So I exit the game, clock my vid card back to stock and fire it up again.... it has lost all my settings.... Well, maybe it needs a patch, I patch it, fire it up, lost my settings again. Reset everything, load my savegame, it crashes to the desktop just as before, but the aftifacts were gone.... patch was relatively useless. Exit the game and bring my vid card clock up a little. Start the game..... its forgotten all my settings again. After this I just put the game away and concidered that I had flushed $50 down the drain. Its honestly crap like this that makes "try before you buy options" out there seem more understood. Sorry for the rant btw...

Originally posted by Ashtaka
Wow, I never realized those before shots looked so good!

I played the game on the PC for about 15 minutes before I gave up. The graphics were... to be honest, horrible. They looked mediocre, ran HORRIBLY on my 9700 (Probably ~ 15 -20 FPS in 1024), and the main character looked like he had a 20x20 texture stretched over the model.

i don't think that was the games fault. i ran it on a 9200 and had no such bad graphics. had everything turned up and ran wonderfully.i'd look a little deeper there.

the copy protection scheme was stupidly implemented (see: ion launcher). not only did it hog more ram, but i get dumped to the desktop instead of seeing the loading screen, which has hints and stuff:( and the interface, taking more than 1/6th of the available screen real estate? the idiot who came up with that should be demoted. the fact that many users spent time editing the game's config files to make it run better, since it was essentially the xbox version on a "pc" cd... fucking inexcusable. ion storm really let us down.

the game is ok, but the many loads that you need to go through and the fact that it just doesn't measure up to the original make this one a bargain bin recommendation for me.

What friggen' game is that pictured in the 'before' shots???

My DXII (the game sucks BTW) looks like the 'after' shots, and I swear those are the worst graphics I seen in 5 years. Maybe I'm just spoiled... I seriously thought I had a problem with my new card after starting DXIW since the graphics were so weak with all the settings maxed out. I had to look at screen shots online to figure out that the graphics were THAT bad.

So what happened? Those pics in the 'before' shots are exactly what I expect in a game release in 2003. Although the graphics alone wouldn't have made DXIW a good game, at least it would have made it less painful to play.

I loved the original, but they basically did away with all the good elements in the sequel. No localized damage, shitty inventory system, shitty distracting HUD, horrible graphics, getting rid of the skills, universal ammo (WTF were they thinking?), etc... Not to mention this game WAS linear, even though their big selling point was that it was NON-linear game. Also there were no consequences for any of your actions (good or bad). And a friggen' load screen each time you walked 10ft, WTF???

mmm, after i updated it, i really liked this game. was not as good as the first one, and was not as 'revolutionary' as the first one, but still pretty cool.

Back