Deus Ex 'Augment Your Pre-Order' Cancelled

Good. That was one of the most idiotic pre-order promotions yet. If they're lucky, people will forget their garbage within a couple months.

I really really hope people won't forget it..... but eh.... it's a failed marketing scheme, so it probably will be.

The game looks good.

The idea of perking pre-orders is silly, especially lately with completely FUBAR'd games on release date.
I don't know what Edios is worried about, the games have been top-notch in the past. People will buy it.

I really really hope people won't forget it..... but eh.... it's a failed marketing scheme, so it probably will be.

It was just a bad decision decided by a group of marketers. They pulled back on it so the fact that they listened should carry weight as well. We all cant sit around going "remember that one time that one company got really greedy with preorders?".

Well they also resolved it in a way that should satisfy the customers, so I don't imagine people will hold a grudge.

I don't pre-order stuff anymore anyways though...

Totally agree. Burnt too many times on games in the past, plus you have 3 groups. Preorder people who want the perks and new stuff asap. Wait and see people who want to make sure it works but don't care about the color of their gun in game. Game of the year people who wait to get it when it's cheapest with all the bonuses. I am in the last group most of the time.

Pre ordering isn't even needed anymore and just needs to go away. There's never a shortage of games on day 1 anymore. And shit, the only game I've preordered in the past 10 years happened to be MGSV, which I had totally forgot about. I bought the game the day it came out at the store I had it preordered at. Did they tell me I had it pre ordered and $5 down on it when I got the game that day? Nope.... They called me 3 days later and told me my pre order copy was in.. Idiots. That was at GameStop by the way.

I can understand why some people got pissed. But honestly I would rather have something like that than the other crap we have.

Normally you have something like preorder at this store and you get this. Preorder at this store and get this instead. A good example is something like Mortal Kombat. For Mortal Kombat 9 preordering at Walmart got you one classic character with classic fatality, preordering at GameStop got you something different, best buy got you something different, target got you something different. There was no way to get everything. Some of the FPS games do similar things where you get this special gun or camo if you preorder at this certain place.

For this program from what I understand, everyone started off with the same reward. Then if X number of people preordered they would add in another item, if Y more people preordered they would then add in another bonus, then if some number above that preordered they would release the game 4 days early.

If they are already doing preorder bonuses that not everyone can get, what hurts doing something on a tier level that allows everyone to get the same bonus.

For this program from what I understand, everyone started off with the same reward. Then if X number of people preordered they would add in another item, if Y more people preordered they would then add in another bonus, then if some number above that preordered they would release the game 4 days early.

My understanding is it was basically the same as the retailer-exclusive pre-orders insofar as you got to choose from a pair of bonuses at each tier meaning you missed out on the other one. There was still no way to get everything(unless you pre-ordered two copies?)

My understanding is it was basically the same as the retailer-exclusive pre-orders insofar as you got to choose from a pair of bonuses at each tier meaning you missed out on the other one. There was still no way to get everything(unless you pre-ordered two copies?)

Exactly, this was one major issue a lot of people had. They were marketing it as giving consumers a choice, but in reality they were artificially limiting the selection for each tier of rewards.

It's a mixed of tier and exclusive "bonus." I don't mind tiering too much, though I don't like it either... but I think most people will preorder anyway, so it's not skin off of my back. But it's like they took 2 horrible ideas and thought it'd be so awesome together... like taking a bag of burning shit and fused the smell with skunk spray.

It was just a bad decision decided by a group of marketers. They pulled back on it so the fact that they listened should carry weight as well. We all cant sit around going "remember that one time that one company got really greedy with preorders?".

I guess... but you can also view it as, oh shit the shitstorm is bigger than we thought, let's pull back. It's more like they were pressured to rather than they wanted to. So... while yes, it's good that they "listened" but it seemed more like they were listening to the knife at their backs.

"Okay, I won't rape you, just put the gun down."

Pre ordering isn't even needed anymore and just needs to go away. There's never a shortage of games on day 1 anymore.

I agree that they need to go away, but that's just the industry at the moment - that preorders are basically kickstarters for them. Pre-sale a game, fund the development! Provide extra stuff that costs basically nothing to provide because they're virtual items! Even cheaper than running a kickstarter! Outsource your beta testing costs by offering beta access to pre-orders (which also causes more folks to pre-order to fund development)! Release the game early before your final stage of beta tests to use the general public as beta testers! Everyone wins!

Except the game-buying public. Once the developers have your money, they are basically under not a lot of obligation to iron out bugs after release. Buy the PC version? You're in even worse shape because most of the development and bug fixing is going to be targeted to consoles.

Exactly, this was one major issue a lot of people had. They were marketing it as giving consumers a choice, but in reality they were artificially limiting the selection for each tier of rewards.

Ok, I didn't gather that part from the article I just looked up. I personally never heard anything about this program before today so went and did some research and just seen the program listed as a tiered system. Didn't say that you had to select which ones you got at each tier.

This is the best way for each and every game dev & publisher to learn these schemes are terrible. Hopefully they learn to stay away from them.

I am glad they listened, I will actually pre-order now once it's up on steam.

Bad pre-order campaign made right. I wasn't going to pre-order but I might day one purchase now that this has been resolved.

Still don't think they deserve an immediate pre-order like many on here are saying just because they removed this garbage. But we'll see how the game turns out.

Still don't think they deserve an immediate pre-order like many on here are saying just because they removed this garbage. But we'll see how the game turns out.

Same.
Why should I give them a cookie for doing what they are supposed to? We just returned to baseline, theres nothing exceptional in that.

Good.

As someone pointed out quite rightly pre-orders only had a purpose when there was a limited number of copies available on day 1 from games. But in the digital downloads era you should be able to get the game any time you want instantly. So the only incentive for pre-orders should be a discount.

And even with the discount people should only pre-order games that they're absolutely sure about and have 100% faith in the developers.

A nice hand shake with a "Too bad it didn't work out, we'll get 'em next time, tiger!"

that NEVER happens to senior management. he probably gets his bonus anyway, a pat on the shoulder and that's it.

They'll just say "Why didn't you warn us that it won't work" to some employees. Or they say that the idea was good, it was the implementation. But it's never the management's fault.

Back