Deus Ex 3: Highlighting Optional

csmith811

Limp Gawd
Here's the post over on ShackNews:
http://www.shacknews.com/article/68153/deus-ex-human-revolution-object

After the long discussion we had here, I know many people including me will be happy to hear this. The explanation that they give in the video diary is well thought out and fits in with the mythos. They also provide a visual example of the difference it will make. A section of the option screen is also shown to give us an idea what can be modified in-game.

I think it's nice to know that they have made it optional so that everyone wins. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Thats awesome to hear! Rock On! A prequel or sequel depending how you view it that will live up to original title's name and gameplay!

Wow....the devs actually listened to the community for a change. Goes to show that sometimes bitching and whining online can achieve positive outcomes.

Wow....the devs actually listened to the community for a change. Goes to show that sometimes bitching and whining online can achieve positive outcomes.
Especially "constructive" whining as the developers mentioned.

I'm glad they did this. It looked like it could be distracting from the trailers.

I think I speak for all the Deus Ex fans when I say, thank fucking god.

I didn't think it was that bad... in a way, it reminded me of the opening scene of Terminator 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYOoWCv_PYE

Specifically, the outlines that occur around people as he scans/evaluates them. I think this would be important with augmentations only because I can see someone 'not knowing' their own 'super-strength'.

Ex, if I have a lvl 3 augumentation for strength of my arms, can I pick up an desk? economy car? How about a luxury car? How about a truck? They all weigh different amounts and at some point my augmented arm won't be able to pick them up.

I'd expect there to be a system to estimate weight and go 'Yeah, you can pick up and throw that' or 'no, you can't'. You'd need it in a way, wouldn't you? As humans, we spend a lot of our childhood from age 3-6 learning what our limitations are physically and often we become 'ackward' as teenagers when our bodies grow too fast and we don't know our own strength.

It sucked at least not having any choice about it. Now we do. Everyone wins. :)
Exactly. The first one had plenty of "let me see if I can pick that up" moments where I just tried it. I guess if you don't want to try it then just turn it on. Regardless, good news.

Great news to me. Never really see the need for it, and its more of a nuisance instead

Praise be to god!

Most of us here have been following the development of this title and have been... uh, bolstered I guess is the word I'm looking for here... by some of the previews, which have been near glowing. So far, all of the preview writers have begun their previews the same way, by saying how skeptical they were that this new title would be anything like the original Deus Ex. What's been fascinating is that they've all finished their previews on the same note, by saying that this new title has the potential to be at least as good as the first title, and maybe even better.

I hate to say it, though, but I actually liked the item highlighting. I thought it looked cool. I wish I had this in my life too. Like, I could be walking down a busy downtown street, say, and if a girl liked me, and was super horny, maybe she could be highlighted. Ha!

The game's three difficulty settings--labeled as "Tell me a story" (Easy); "Give me a challenge" (Normal); and "Give me Deus Ex" (Hard)--react to the change. The first two settings will have object highlighting and objective locators switched 'On' by default, whereas the hardest setting will disable both features when selected. Settings can later be manually swapped.

It's basically and On/Off switch. I'm glad they did this, but I'd be more happy if they could take it one step further and do something similar to how it's done in every other RPG game, hell Diablo had it done right. Off by default, but all the highlights come up with a press of the button.

It's basically and On/Off switch. I'm glad they did this, but I'd be more happy if they could take it one step further and do something similar to how it's done in every other RPG game, hell Diablo had it done right. Off by default, but all the highlights come up with a press of the button.

I bet this can be done....since its toggle on/off in a menu there's almost guarnteed to be some type of console command that turns it on/off and if theres a command, its very likely bindable to a key.

I'm SO glad they listened to us, the ones buying the game. That inane highlighting was the one of the biggest things bugging me about the game, I'm really surprised they so strongly stand behind it :confused:. Let me find on my own alternate pathways, that sense of discovery and the rush when an enemy gets too close is a huge part of immersion for me.

I'm SO glad they listened to us, the ones buying the game. That inane highlighting was the one of the biggest things bugging me about the game, I'm really surprised they so strongly stand behind it :confused:. Let me find on my own alternate pathways, that sense of discovery and the rush when an enemy gets too close is a huge part of immersion for me.

So you don't play these games twice, or even three times? For me, the second time is sometimes even better than the first time. My sense of fun isn't ruined because I know where I'm going in the game.

I also want to know what's active, and what's not - and I believe that this is what the developer is trying to get at. They're saying, look, for aesthetic purposes, we have to have doors and buildings in our games that serve as corridors, but gamers won't be able to access everything. Instead of forcing the gamer to go up to every single closed door, say, to find out whether or not it's active, the developer just highlights it to communicate that this door can be opened. Really? Your sense of fun is going up to 15 closed doors and trying to find out whether or not they're active. Not me.

Same applies to items. For aesthetic purposes you have to have stuff in your games or else it's just going to look empty. Not everything can be active. I don't want to spend twenty minutes trying to figure out what's active and what's not active by clicking on it.

I just don't see what all the fuss is about.

Back