Determining what video card I can use

Greetings all,

I have an NVidia GTX 650 sitting in my ASUS P8z77-V LE motherboard. I'm updating the CPU to an i7 from an i3, and I'd like to update the video card as well. I don't know, though, how to go about figuring out exactly what I can put on this motherboard.

Is there a reference or something to use?

Thanks.

So long as you have a pcie slot you're good... And any past modern motherboard made from within a decade of now does. :)

So long as you have a pcie slot you're good... And any past modern motherboard made from within a decade of now does. :)
Ah, cool. Other than the video driver, is a BIOS update probably in order as well? I'm thinking I might need to do that once I get the i7 in there, but I'm really not sure.
Thanks again.

Sometimes yes, but I doubt you will need one from what you have said
You're welcome :).

Great, thanks much.
Sheesh, I built this fool system myself some five years ago, I think it was. I don't remember much of anything anymore.
I'm not even sure if I paid for or stole the parts! This getting old stuff sucks!

Greetings all,

I have an NVidia GTX 650 sitting in my ASUS P8z77-V LE motherboard. I'm updating the CPU to an i7 from an i3, and I'd like to update the video card as well. I don't know, though, how to go about figuring out exactly what I can put on this motherboard.

Is there a reference or something to use?

Thanks.

What would you sell your GTX 650 for?

Ah, cool. Other than the video driver, is a BIOS update probably in order as well? I'm thinking I might need to do that once I get the i7 in there, but I'm really not sure.
Thanks again.
You should do the bios update before you pull the i3 if the i7 is not supported prior to updating you will just need to put the i3 back in.

Yeah, it is. As a matter of fact, I had ordered a used one from a regular Reddit user, and the damned thing got stolen in the mail; the sender didn't wrap it, having relied on the print-out sticker from the PO to bind it. Well, it didn't, and someone got in there and took it.

At any rate, I may try to order another one somewhere, or I may just update the whole motherboard (which is what I'll eventually do anyway). A new laptop, however, is the priority. I suppose we'll see.

Thanks.

Yeah, it is. As a matter of fact, I had ordered a used one from a regular Reddit user, and the damned thing got stolen in the mail; the sender didn't wrap it, having relied on the print-out sticker from the PO to bind it. Well, it didn't, and someone got in there and took it.

At any rate, I may try to order another one somewhere, or I may just update the whole motherboard (which is what I'll eventually do anyway). A new laptop, however, is the priority. I suppose we'll see.

Thanks.

So, does that mean you will be selling the GTX 650? ;-)

Back