Detekt: A New Malware Detection Tool

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Electronic Frontier Foundation is offering up a new malware detection tool that will help you find out if the government is spying on you.

That's why we've joined together to support Detekt, a new malware detection tool developed by security researcher Claudio Guarnieri. Detekt is an easy-to-use, open source tool that allows users to check their Windows PCs for signs of infection by surveillance malware that we know is being used by government to spy on activists and journalists.

I wonder if the government is monitoring who downloads the anti spy tool so they know who has something to hide.

They can't spell detect correctly, I think I'll pass...:)

I tried it... "Unsupported Operating System"

Windows 8.1 Update 1 (x64), fully updated :rolleyes:

Increased accuracy but removed Windows 8.1 64bit support. Use version 1.3 if you're running on 8.1 https://github.com/botherder/detekt/releases/tag/v1.3 but it will be less accurate. You can download the main application by clicking on the detekt.exe button. Beware: the file is about 26MB in size.

https://github.com/botherder/detekt/releases/tag/v1.4

That last bit is funny, beware of a 26MB file? That's almost like saying this download won't fit on a floppy disk.

No one is downloading this for fear it will spy on you? LOL. In a couple of minutes you'll be on your Facebook or Google + page.

I meant dial-up (you know....14.4, 56K, modems........of course, you KNEW that.)

Thanks for playing.

Something tells me that most connecting to the internet at that speed are going to have to many problems with government spying or for that matter even be able to get that site to even download this. At the speeds you mentioned the internet is essentially broken today.

While you should trust nobody 100%, the amount of people in here that trust a government proven to spy and disregard basic human rights over an organization that has done nothing but fight for freedom... I don't even know what to say. What the hell is wrong with all of you?

Use the app or don't, but thinking the EFF is going to spy on you? You people need to reorganize your thoughts.

Well the 1.3 version locked up my PC... after a few mins, still couldnt do anything... ctrl alt del didnt do anything, and i couldnt move the mouse cursor

Well the 1.3 version locked up my PC... after a few mins, still couldnt do anything... ctrl alt del didnt do anything, and i couldnt move the mouse cursor

Same thing here. It locked up so I did a reset. I turned off DEP for the program and when I ran it again I was presented with a BOSD.

Before proceeding with the download, make sure you have read all the instructions and disclaimers. Currently, Windows 8.1 is not supported.

Right above the big download button it says:

Before proceeding with the download, make sure you have read all the instructions and disclaimers. Currently, Windows 8.1 is not supported.

The wqindows version you are running is not supported. I feel safer already.:cool:

[possible infection by this spyware, which often goes undetected by existing commercial anti-virus products.] How is it possible the anti-virus products can't detect their own backdoor codes? lol :cool:

Came here to post this.

I was here anyways, felt like dropping my .02 cents. Not sure why that concerns you.

And, it's a valid statement. Within 30 seconds of that tools release into the wild someone is probably already uploading the version that installs a rootkit. It's not paranoia, it's a healthy awareness of the reality we live in today.

We already know they spy on us. No need to install any software that "supposedly" detects whether they do or not.

Back