Detailed Pin out for Skylake-X 2066?

wuzupfoo

Limp Gawd
Need some help with a problem I have. Im looking for the pin out for 2066. The system in question is below
My current theory and why Im looking for a pinout is because the CPU had damage on one of the gold pads. It basically flaked off! First time anything like this ever occurred. I have visually inspected everything else and all seems to be in order except the damage mentioned above and also the "problem" listed below. Always possible I damaged something on the top side during delid as well but I checked pics and it didnt indicate damage unless its not visible.

System:
i7-7820x - delidded using Rockit
G.Skill DDR4 CL14 3200Mhz (4x8 B-Die)
Gigabyte x299 Aorous Gaming 7

Problem:
Basically I cant get quad channel to work at OC speeds effectively on anything over 1.2v. So at 1.2v I see all four channels and through various reporting software it reports back quad channel at 2133. Strangely(?) I can get dual channel to work fine at OC speeds but it wont see 1 of the 4 sticks. RAM was working fine in quad channel with previous processor (7800x) and tested on my current gaming system. Also mobo was not the issue as I tested on another mobo with similar behavior.

Edit: Lastly if its a pin landing pad issue; can you even fix this?! and I thought I had a pic on my phone but its not there so I will post one this evening.

Can see its the middle towards the top but you can also see other areas where the gold is wearing off.
M2srK0d.jpg

Looks more dramatic when zoomed but still not much.

a2O0qO4.jpg

Picture of the topside in case an eagle eyed reader can see damage I cant.

PPGNu0A.jpg

Last edited:
post a pic of the cpu damage would help. There arent really any diagrams on the internet for socket 2066 and very few actually know the pinout.

The only person i know off hand that knows or could help is der8auer.

thanks yeah, I only asked here after some time spent on google searching and getting nothing. I will post the pics got caught up last night and didnt get to post but will tonight.

bump for pics added... feel like Im grasping at nonsense... the "damage" was worse in my mind from when I remember it. Most likely cause I have the zoomed in pic in my memory.

FYI I replaced this system a few months back with current "main" system and its been sitting after I ruled out RAM and Mobo I gave up until redigging this up now.

Only reason I wanted to figure out the pin out is to confirm the problem rather than it be a nebulous issue. That way I can either repurpose it and depend on it or sell it with some certainty to new buyer.

Last edited:
Wasnt intending this to be a troubleshoot thread but looks like its the only thing left since pin out is so elusive.

Anyways I ruled it out by using another mobo I was able to borrow for testing. I had bought different 4x8 RAM kit as well so was able to test various combinations and I got the same results regardless of switching out RAM and mobo so by elimination it landed on the CPU. Which obviously led me to search for any issue that is out of the ordinary when I noticed the worn pads. Literally grasping at nonsense as I said.

I also got the CFL system by that point as well so I was also running Memtest on the new and old RAM as well. Just to disprove the idea that by dumb luck I had 2 4x8 kits that didnt work... obviously it wasnt the case and they came up clean.

alright just making sure you ruled it out completely as in my experience Gigabytes x299 bios is literally trash and could be chalked up to that if it wasnt fully process of eliminated. :)

So judging based on the pic it looks like there is a bit of a pit in that dark area and it looks to be where it depresses the pin in the socket. IIRC the memory stuff is on the sides and not the top and bottom but im not entirely sure. So at this point id agree the issue here is the CPU. 7820x are super cheap now(250-350 on ebay) so you can easily replace the CPU and put it back in service if you wanted.

If it was a more expensive chip to replace like a 7980xe id suggest hitting up der8auer and he could fix this but with it being such a cheap chip its likely not worth his or your while to fix.

The problem pins have to be power pins that have had too much power delivered to them over a period of time and as such are working as resistors due to residue buildup. Try wiping (carefully) with isopropyl alcohol to remove the buildup.

alright just making sure you ruled it out completely as in my experience Gigabytes x299 bios is literally trash and could be chalked up to that if it wasnt fully process of eliminated. :)

So judging based on the pic it looks like there is a bit of a pit in that dark area and it looks to be where it depresses the pin in the socket. IIRC the memory stuff is on the sides and not the top and bottom but im not entirely sure. So at this point id agree the issue here is the CPU. 7820x are super cheap now(250-350 on ebay) so you can easily replace the CPU and put it back in service if you wanted.

If it was a more expensive chip to replace like a 7980xe id suggest hitting up der8auer and he could fix this but with it being such a cheap chip its likely not worth his or your while to fix.

Sad thing is that the test board was also X299! So its possible... I always did feel their x299 board was not on par to the z390 I have now but I just assumed it was due to the z390 being newer relatively speaking. Makes me want to seek out another board to test one last time before I totally give up on this thing.

Yeah I wouldnt want to fix this unless its possible without ridiculous cost so Im hesitant to seek out professional remedies but it seems rare enough that there is no "DIY" on youtube for this! lol...

The problem pins have to be power pins that have had too much power delivered to them over a period of time and as such are working as resistors due to residue buildup. Try wiping (carefully) with isopropyl alcohol to remove the buildup.

So can I just dunk this into 99% alcohol and call it day to see if that works? I dont see any buildup on my cpu side really but could always try if that is a possibility.

I would suggest you put some iso/99% on a cotton bud (sometimes called Q-tip) and use that on the affected pads

Solder a drop of gold solder on it. Good as new.

But you'll need an HHO gas torch haha

https://www.amazon.com/Gold-Repair-Solder-Gauge-inches/dp/B07146PVRS

Or just use some PbSnAg blend and a 25 watt micro iron and a flux droplet. Do a micro droplet. It will work good. Use nail polish to protect the other pads so the flix doesnt flow the solder together between adjacent pads. Dont use flux core solder.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Solder a drop of gold solder on it. Good as new.

But you'll need an HHO gas torch haha

https://www.amazon.com/Gold-Repair-Solder-Gauge-inches/dp/B07146PVRS

Or just use some PbSnAg blend and a 25 watt micro iron and a flux droplet. Do a micro droplet. It will work good. Use nail polish to protect the other pads so the flix doesnt flow the solder together between adjacent pads. Dont use flux core solder.

Oh wow I didnt know that existed to be purchased by a consumer! But good lord this seems over my head as Ive only done simple non-PC soldering. Thanks for giving that info the second options seems more feasible and now another rabbit hole to explore.

I would suggest you put some iso/99% on a cotton bud (sometimes called Q-tip) and use that on the affected pads

Appreciate the suggestion but I think you are mistaken that its build up vs. flaked off. In the interest of doing anything "ez" for this I followed your advice and tried cleaning again assuming maybe I just missed the fact its debris but there is no contact pad under that gray its gone and the gray is what is left over. Its not build up for sure.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Appreciate the suggestion but I think you are mistaken that its build up vs. flaked off. In the interest of doing anything "ez" for this I followed your advice and tried cleaning again assuming maybe I just missed the fact its debris but there is no contact pad under that gray its gone and the gray is what is left over. Its not build up for sure.

sounds like it vaporised under the current...

sounds like it vaporised under the current...

Honestly I wish I could know for sure wtf I did, if anything, to cause this so I can avoid it ... or whether it was just dumb (bad)luck at the Intel factory.

Back