Destroying partitions in OS X

LithiumRage158

Limp Gawd
Last week I tried my hand at installing Linux on my MacBook Pro. Long story short, it didn't work out too well. I decided I would just delete the partitions and then try to restore the hard drive back to a single volume without formatting. After messing around in Disk Utility, I couldn't really figure out how to do it. Is this going to require a third party app?

you should be able to use boot camp assistant to merge the 2 back into 1

Nah, boot camp assistant isn't any use for managing partitions besides creating them. In disk utility select you HD and hit the partitions tab. From there you can select individual partitions to delete. And then you can "drag" your OS X partition and "fill" the entire space. (Sorry I know it sounds confusing, I'm not actually able to look at Disk Utility right now.) When expanding your OS X partition if you get an error message like "This disk could not be partitioned......" you'll need to boot with your OS X install disc > utilities > select your HD > partitions. Then repair the disk *not repair permissions*. Then try expanding your OS X partition again.

Last edited:
Back