Destiny Sequel Already Underway?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Let me get this straight, Bungie doesn't have time to fix its current game (unless you call closing loot caves, nerfing weapons and screwing with boss battles "fixing"), but they are already working on a sequel to Destiny? :rolleyes:

Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg said during the firm's earnings call on Tuesday that Bungie has already begun work on the "next full game release" in the new Destiny IP, along with more DLC expansion content for the existing game, which launched in September.

This is pretty common practice.

DICE/EA does this with Battlefield games
Activision does this with Call of Duty games
And the list goes on. Either they have a separate developer make the game, or the developer itself is big enough to have departments dedicated to patching current games and departments dedicated to make new games.

So much for Destiny being a 10 year experience or whatever they said it was going to be.

This is what happens when you sleep in bed with the devils at EA, Acitivision, and Ubisoft. Nothing irritates me more than a game not working right even well after it has been launched.

This is what happens when you sleep in bed with the devils at EA, Acitivision, and Ubisoft. Nothing irritates me more than a game not working right even well after it has been launched.

and this will forever happen as long as the mass keeps buying said games... hell....... the mass needs to stop preordering everything!!

Wasn't that the reason the game got such low review scores? Incomplete game? Also why is this game doing well in sales?

h30FA4377

Let me get this straight, Bungie doesn't have time to fix its current game (unless you call closing loot caves, nerfing weapons and screwing with boss battles "fixing"), but they are already working on a sequel to Destiny? :rolleyes:

... *hands Steve the "Not Paying Attention" Award*

Steve... Bungie and Activision announced that at least 4 standalone retail titles were planned. Of course the development team(s) at Bungie would already be in progress on working on the following games.

I won't argue that it's tacky to start talking about the next full retail release titles this soon after the game's launch; especially when Destiny has so many issues outstanding... but I don't fault Destiny for putting some details on the back-burner. The art asset and geometry designers are going to be next to worthless in fixing code-level issues; the code-level guys probably have no business trying to work on weapon balances; and the game designers were likely already involved in sketching out just what the next steps would be based on consumer feedback... actual... consumer feedback. Not just the Halo Brigade's idea of feedback.

I should not have have to ask the following question: Should all of the employees at Bungie who cannot address the issues with the first release just sit around and twiddle their thumbs?

Hint: the answer is: NOPE

I would make the observation that the limited beta test of Destiny most certainly contributed to some of the issues in terms of Balance within respect to PvE play; as well as network stability. Cutting off the Beta over a month before retail launch instead of making nightly builds available for testing was certainly an error in judgement.

The PvP play though... well... is basically a copy of City of Heroes. The core experience of Destiny is built around an inherent imbalance system that, at least in theory, allows each of the three classes to radically differ in play-styles... although higher-level play quickly demonstrated that the lack of weapon variety coupled with the limited available powers did not achieve an experience separation. I have some ideas on how that can be addressed... but... well... I'll go over those on Gamenikki in Exile.

I wish I could play this game. Its the game Ive been waiting for and I only play PC games. I do have a ps3 but only use it for to watch movies.

The story and universe is epic, on the scale of Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord of Rings and Harry Potter combined. The first game only cover part 1 out of... well, I'm thinking maybe 3 full games... yep, Destiny 2 will have another epic end cut-scene like the first one... oh, I'm so excited!!!!

The game really needs to be on PC. I want to love it, but playing an FPS with a controller is like trying to nail jello to a wall.

The game really needs to be on PC. I want to love it, but playing an FPS with a controller is like trying to nail jello to a wall.

This. A million times this. Probably one of the more accurate/hilarious descriptions I've heard. My PC was out of commission for a bit, and I tried playing a few games on my 360.... Talk about painful.

I can definitely see why they may have started at least pre-production art development on the next title though. Hopefully that's all they've done. Otherwise, yeah, way to take a bunch of cash and run.

I thought Destiny was supposed to be a FPS MMO.

Regardless, I think it's a horrible idea to release a new title for a franchise within a short period of time.

Considering Destiny is a glorified beta, it's not unexpected that a sequel would be in the works already.

Bungie does have a great foundation though...if it can fix Destiny's problem it will have a truly brilliant game.

Not surprised here, Activision is good at releasing buggy games and not even bother fixing them and yet they focus on pumping out new games which is basically the same as the previous version... I gave up on Activision a long time ago.

If they improve immersion and overall Ai and Mulitplayer and RPG elements I'll consider it.

Why would they fix something people already paid for? They get no extra cash for that.

Moral of the story: Don't buy the games anymore on launch date, see if they're any good and preferably wait for discounts. The titles will either have to improve their launch day quality or die.

After doing the raid last night on hard mode? yeah. Game is still really broken and not nearly enough weapon uniqueness. Even borderlands suffers from that.

After doing the raid last night on hard mode? yeah. Game is still really broken and not nearly enough weapon uniqueness. Even borderlands suffers from that.

But you still keep playing it? Thats probably an indication to the devs that no action is necessary.

I wish I could play this game. Its the game Ive been waiting for and I only play PC games. I do have a ps3 but only use it for to watch movies.

You can play it on the PC. Its a steam download named Warframe.

But you still keep playing it? Thats probably an indication to the devs that no action is necessary.

It's like playing a half finished game though and that does grind at me some. if my friends stopped playing, I would too. It doesn't help that my PC gaming friends stopped playing dota.

Yeah....I bet its the last 20 hours they didn't include in the first game lol :p

Posted this elsewhere, this is how I feel about Destiny.

I don't mind the grind in games... Love D3 and still play it.

However, the grind in this game DOES NOT FEEL REWARDING.

At first play the game is awesome, amazing feel, gunplay etc. Then you keep going and going on repetitive missions. Then you star the strikes over and over. The armor you can is an upgrade in stats only, just lets you do more of the same only harder.

You get to only use your special once in a while, where in D3 you get to spam your stuff, change your build etc.

Then you realize that for end game you have the MANUALLY put a party together. This turns out to too much work and scheduling so most people won't get to do the weekly heroic or end game raid content. I just don't have the friends to get all this together.

Fell pretty burned by a game that at first had amazing core gameplay, but the entire way it works is broken.

As for blah blah FPS on console... don't get mad when you jump in and then proceed to get your shit pushed in by experience console players. Maybe learn and practice with a controller and realize it isn't bad at all.

It'll be 10 years of annualized copy-paste iterations ala CoD.

Destiny 2 - 10

They were saying that they were going to keep adding new content to this one for that long, not releasing yearly new games completely

If you are actively waiting for this game still you might want to look elsewhere. Since you have a PS3, you could just rent the game and give it a try and see if you really want to go that way if / when it is released on the pc.

The story and universe is epic, on the scale of Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord of Rings and Harry Potter combined. The first game only cover part 1 out of... well, I'm thinking maybe 3 full games... yep, Destiny 2 will have another epic end cut-scene like the first one... oh, I'm so excited!!!!

3? Make it about 30 that take place during the events of this game and you would get something on par with Star Wars Ep 1.

The problem with the whole Destiny thing Bungie doesn't know how to do sci-fi properly without it feeling static.

You guys wanting to play this are crazy it's nothing special the interface is great with the loot and loading sequences but the rest is garbage mobs and multiplayer where you get flanked real easy.

Sold mine for $35 weeks ago. That campaign boss ending was a complete joke.

I for one hope that the sequel is even grindier and perhaps fitted with an even thinner plot and universe to ice the cake. The less anything is explained or pieced into something resembling a coherent narrative, the better. As a hardcore console gamer, I do not have time to get bogged down in mindless dialogue and discourse. Never before has such a masterstroke of a Sci Fi world so violently grabbed hold of me as Destiny has, where the majority of its (occasionally semi) human inhabitants hold the social capabilities of retarded cavemen and must often resort to dance and pointing to get a point across instead of just talking.

Back