Destiny: Buy Last-Gen, Get Next-Gen Free

I still find it hard to call these current consoles "Next Gen"

I think the more appropriate term would be "Current Gen Consoles".

It's a sad state of affairs when this is something to applaud, instead of being standard practice.

An even better deal would be buying a game and getting what developers actually promised. I would even play it.

What Meeho said. How the hell is this a "damn good deal" to anyone but Sheeple conditioned to buy up EA's bullshit and every version of the same game? Likely the same Sheeple who use the term "Next Gen" to describe CURRENT GEN...

What Meeho said. How the hell is this a "damn good deal" to anyone but Sheeple conditioned to buy up EA's bullshit and every version of the same game? Likely the same Sheeple who use the term "Next Gen" to describe CURRENT GEN...

Well for starters if you have two consoles already, this is a good deal. I have a 360 hooked up that mainly the kids use, and a One hooked up for main use. This means I can play on either console without having to purchase another copy of the game, which is total win sauce.

Now, we can all say this should be standard practice, but it takes considerable time and effort to code the game between the two so I can see the reticence to "give away" one copy... but in this case they were going to cannibalize each other in sales anyways, might as well give it up.

It's a sad state of affairs when this is something to applaud, instead of being standard practice.

Yea serious. Steam does this for all their games. Mac Linux or Windows don't matter. You own Half Life 2 then it'll work on all those platforms.

It's crossbuy under another name, and yes--PLEASE stop calling it next gen. Its last and current. Its also probably to the great satisfaction of console makers looking to sell moar PS4s and XB1s. Destiny will be the gateway drug.

And next-gen is a a joke anyway as the real Hard folks know.;) Console power always laughably behind our rigs...

A better question would be can you play both versions at the same time? (Not together obviously)

Im thinking you can as long as you have two different accounts. the game would get two licenses. One to that account and one to the console. Atleast xbox wise you should be able to. I know you can get two copies running with xbox one games.

Yea but once you upgrade to next gen do you still get to keep the old one?
Yes you get to keep the old one.
A better question would be can you play both versions at the same time? (Not together obviously)

Yes you can play both at the same time. Its like the COD Ghosts double pack digital code. You can be logged in your account on 360 and X1 at the same time. You just cant be logged in on two of the same systems at the same time.

You can also get four playable copies out of one purchase if you are digital sharing. I have two 360s and two X1s. My account's home systems are the ones my gf plays on. So the rights to any digital purchase is on those systems, and available to any accounts on those systems. I then just log in to my account on my systems, and have access to them as long as its connected to live. All consoles/versions can be played at the same time.

Holy crap what a bunch of negative nancy's in this thread. It is a good offer and should be praised so more developers do "Consumer Friendly" things like this. You know instead of all the anti-consumer crap we are always bitching about? How about for once in your lives you just be happy a game developer isn't actively trying to screw it's customers.

Sheesh.

Holy crap what a bunch of negative nancy's in this thread. It is a good offer and should be praised so more developers do "Consumer Friendly" things like this. You know instead of all the anti-consumer crap we are always bitching about? How about for once in your lives you just be happy a game developer isn't actively trying to screw it's customers.

Sheesh.
I think it's the "You have to admit, this is a pretty damn good deal." comment that framed everyone to pile on the hate train, without that I doubt there would be as much negativity. It would be like if somebody said you could install a single player game without having to dial-in to the home server every time you played and calling it a "pretty damn good deal." Yes, it is a good thing, but the wording also frames it like you should BE so lucky to have such a privilege that in a non-consumer-hostile reality people should take for granted.

It is a decent deal, but it's not for next gen owners or even people with both systems. It's incentive to upgrade to the next gen if you have the old stuff.

Yes you can play both at the same time. Its like the COD Ghosts double pack digital code. You can be logged in your account on 360 and X1 at the same time. You just cant be logged in on two of the same systems at the same time.

You can also get four playable copies out of one purchase if you are digital sharing. I have two 360s and two X1s. My account's home systems are the ones my gf plays on. So the rights to any digital purchase is on those systems, and available to any accounts on those systems. I then just log in to my account on my systems, and have access to them as long as its connected to live. All consoles/versions can be played at the same time.

Nice. Wish I'd got the digital pack of Ghosts then :(

So if my buddy has my PS3 using my PSN ID, he can log in to play Destiny on PS3 servers while I play on PS4 servers at the same time?

Or would he have to create a new user on the system and play that way?

I'm fine either way I just want to make sure that's how it will go. He is a Halo fan so he would probably appreciate the opportunity to play it to for free.

So if my buddy has my PS3 using my PSN ID, he can log in to play Destiny on PS3 servers while I play on PS4 servers at the same time?

Or would he have to create a new user on the system and play that way?

I'm fine either way I just want to make sure that's how it will go. He is a Halo fan so he would probably appreciate the opportunity to play it to for free.
The extent of sharing I've done on PS is I put my account on a friends PS3, and made it an authorized system. So he logs in my account and gets the PS+ games installed to the system. Then logs out of mine and logs in his account to play them.

What you are saying should work, as that is how it is on Xbox. But I haven't tested any more sharing setups on PS to verify it.

You just have to be ok with making another system the "home" or "authorized" system.

For my Xbox setup, one of my friends doesn't have money r games often. So my box is his home, and I put credit on his account so we both get the games. His system is the home system of another friend, so he gets his games as well. Then the system my gf plays on is my home and gets anything I pay for.

Well now hold on. Bungie said they would NOT make Destiny have split screen gaming. But this could allow you to still play with someone else locally if you happen to have both systems.

So in that regard it sounds useful.

Halo campaign co-op was incredibly fun.

Well now hold on. Bungie said they would NOT make Destiny have split screen gaming. But this could allow you to still play with someone else locally if you happen to have both systems.

So in that regard it sounds useful.

Halo campaign co-op was incredibly fun.

Its not cross platform though. Both people could play, but not on the same server together.

Unless you have two of the same system.

Back