Destiny Averages 3.2M Players Online Every Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this blog post, Bungie is claiming that 3.2 million people a day are playing Destiny. I'm not one to call those numbers into question but I sure would like to know where the hell all those people are when I'm playing. I see this a lot.

People are glued to the game =) I've had enough Destiny to fulfill my need of the game.

Destiny has its flaws for fucking sure.

Having said that, its fundamentals are just so rock solid that it's just goddamned addictive and I've poured 50+ hours into it since I got it. And that's a low number compared to a lot of my friends....

I have to agree with Steve.

I quit playing after level 8 due to the repetition.

Generally, I would be completely alone, or maybe in some Co-op area I'd see 2 others.

Who knows, maybe I was just playing the wrong maps? When I went to the city, I'd see a few folks, but it wasn't crowded by any stretch.

While I don't think much of the game, I saw no shortage of people when I was playing. It wasn't MMO crowded or anything, but the early levels had tons of people on them. Thanks to the way the game works (or at least worked - I haven't played since the last patch), nobody bothered with the later levels as they really were empty.

3.2M is a lot of people. I didn't think the game even sold that many, let alone has that many people playing it. According to metacritic the user rating for Destiny on the PS4 is 6.4. About 5.7 for the Xbox One.

This just tells companies that it doesn't matter if your game is good or not, just have an excellent marketing team that can polish a turd.

Pioneering something new is never easy. When we see the raw numbers, it’s easy for us to say that the destination was worth the journey.
Sniff your own farts much?I've not heard one peep from anyone that this game is anything new or evolutionary, just a bunch of complaining mixed in with a few "the mechanics are solid" type comments. I don't doubt the numbers, but I image those 3.2m people are stuck in some network limbo or running around thinking "is this it?"

I could see if I lived out in the middle of nowhere with DSL but damn man, I live in Vegas...there should be tons of people...ALL THE TIME...if the numbers they are claiming are true.

Wait...maybe they are counting people in the menu....technically they are online. Or maybe they are counting you the 322 times a day you get booted from the game.

I'm level 28 and I've never completed the Vault of Glass. I've tried it 25 times at least and not once did any strike team I was on get to Atheon without four or more players being booted. I ended up there once and I was the only person left. :( Nothing like getting to SEE the end boss but not have enough people to take him down (I'm not cheap enough to use the glitch...yet).

or or or... they could be counting the website ticker, because that is such an important part of "the game"

I'm level 28 and I've never completed the Vault of Glass. I've tried it 25 times at least and not once did any strike team I was on get to Atheon without four or more players being booted. I ended up there once and I was the only person left. :( Nothing like getting to SEE the end boss but not have enough people to take him down (I'm not cheap enough to use the glitch...yet).

On normal mode, correctly doing Atheon isn't very difficult. It just requires that everyone knows their duties, especially the portal team. If you can do the Oracles / 2nd boss then you're good enough for Atheon.

On normal mode, correctly doing Atheon isn't very difficult. It just requires that everyone knows their duties, especially the portal team. If you can do the Oracles / 2nd boss then you're good enough for Atheon.

The time I got the closest the strike team went from six to four by the halfway mark. Then, by the time we made it to Atheon...it was just me and I had half the ammo I needed. Ran around spawning rifle ammo until I died. :(

I bought the game in spite of the warnings I received from friends. So of course I sent out the "I don't know what you guys are talking about" text to them during levels 1-5. But I'm level 11 now and I'm not sure why I'd bother with this unless I really start caring about PVP at some point. Right now I can't repeat the same mission patterns for 9 more levels before I can reach the magical level 20 where things supposedly get much better.

Dark Knight of Mordor is much for fun for me right now. Destiny would be a better game if the story missions and story, were just, I don't know, better.

3.2M is a lot of people. I didn't think the game even sold that many, let alone has thdonyany people playing it. According to metacritic the user rating for Destiny on the PS4 is 6.4. About 5.7 for the Xbox One.

This just tells companies that it doesn't matter if your game is good or not, just have an excellent marketing team that can polish a turd.

Assuming its true and not skewed somehow. What I know is when a developer or publisher has an actual hit game they dont feel the need to qualify the fact.

When a game is really doing good you don't really see a developer having to explain themselves or try to justify the game with cherry picked stats that make everything appear peachy. Reminds me of how Microsoft would constantly press release the total metro apps in the windowa store (though it was 98% spam/dupes/fake apps/web wrappers) to make it appear successful to attract real developers, or how many total windows 8 licenses were shipped - when in reality the stats were skewed and the desperation sweat dripping off the announcements was because things werent so rosy.

I don't doubt there are still a lot of console kids mindlessly killing time with this until CoD hits, despite the repetition and grind, but I think Bungie actually knows the dropoff this game is experiencing from people discovering its pointless with no real endgame, and that's why they're feeling the pressure to make these qualifying statements with stats - they see their "10 year game" slipping out of their hands within two months.

It's easy to sniff and write it off as another derivative abomination, but it can be fun. It's certainly not the kind of old-school shooter I'm interested in, though. Eagerly awaiting TOXIKK and DOOM

I just can't believe how popular this game is, I played it at a friends house last weekend and was just scratching my head in regards to how boring it was.

It seems like just another Borderlands / Mass Effect mash up to me. The kids liked it though. I guess I'm getting old :(

According to this blog post, Bungie is claiming that 3.2 million people a day are playing Destiny. I'm not one to call those numbers into question but I sure would like to know where the hell all those people are when I'm playing. I see this a lot.

What you have to remember Steve is that Destiny is highly instanced in order to support the PS3 and Xbox 360 platforms. Additionally that player base is split across 4 platforms that do not interconnect.

As best as I can track the largest number of simultaneous players supported in a combat open-zone map appears to be 9~12; with PS3/360 seeming to limit down to 9 for public events and PS4/One looking to be up to 12 for public events.

The social tower is also highly instanced. There is no officially exposed method by which players can check their instanced zone ID; ~ala Global Agenda. Nor is there is any exposed search method to identify all of the players loaded into a zone. Tracking players in the tower is a bit difficult using visual means only... but the player limit seems to be 24~32; again with PS3/360 exhibiting lower numbers of players, and PS4/One exhibiting higher number of players.

Regardless, Destiny runs into almost all of the same perception issues that City of Heroes ran into. With every single zone leveraging server instances to enable the personalized story arcs there just isn't a place to see lots of other players running around. That server instancing is also leveraged to ensure that players almost always have targets to shoot at; it is very difficult by design to kill steal or grief other players.

When Bungie/Activision cease supporting the PS3/360 and focus on PS4/One as the base we will no doubt see the instanced player cap increased; but the instanced design that resolves a significant number of attitude issues among the ... ahem... type of player associated with Halo, Call of Duty, or Battlefield... will continue to affect any single players perception of an active playerbase based on visibly obtained data.

There are 3.2 Million players on average and 3 Million servers. :D

I actually did experience a "problem" a few nights ago where the game did spawn me on my own server. Makes it hard to do anything multiplayer when there isn't anyone else on your server with you.

I could see if I lived out in the middle of nowhere with DSL but damn man, I live in Vegas...there should be tons of people...ALL THE TIME...if the numbers they are claiming are true.

Wait...maybe they are counting people in the menu....technically they are online. Or maybe they are counting you the 322 times a day you get booted from the game.

That is actually one issue that I haven't experienced yet. I have maybe gotten booted 3 times playing. I was planning on trying to finish the raid today but I play on Xbox and their services are glitching this afternoon so I can't join anyone. We spent maybe 7 or 8 hours over 2 sessions and think 1 person dropped out during that time but they were able to quickly rejoin.

I do agree about those numbers, I have noticed that the number of people in areas has dropped off since the initial release. Unless people have just moved onto playing PVP or the raids and keep replaying over and over again. But the number of people in worlds has dropped and the number of people in the tower has dropped in the past few weeks.

What you have to remember Steve is that Destiny is highly instanced in order to support the PS3 and Xbox 360 platforms. Additionally that player base is split across 4 platforms that do not interconnect.

As best as I can track the largest number of simultaneous players supported in a combat open-zone map appears to be 9~12; with PS3/360 seeming to limit down to 9 for public events and PS4/One looking to be up to 12 for public events.

The social tower is also highly instanced. There is no officially exposed method by which players can check their instanced zone ID; ~ala Global Agenda. Nor is there is any exposed search method to identify all of the players loaded into a zone. Tracking players in the tower is a bit difficult using visual means only... but the player limit seems to be 24~32; again with PS3/360 exhibiting lower numbers of players, and PS4/One exhibiting higher number of players.

Regardless, Destiny runs into almost all of the same perception issues that City of Heroes ran into. With every single zone leveraging server instances to enable the personalized story arcs there just isn't a place to see lots of other players running around. That server instancing is also leveraged to ensure that players almost always have targets to shoot at; it is very difficult by design to kill steal or grief other players.

When Bungie/Activision cease supporting the PS3/360 and focus on PS4/One as the base we will no doubt see the instanced player cap increased; but the instanced design that resolves a significant number of attitude issues among the ... ahem... type of player associated with Halo, Call of Duty, or Battlefield... will continue to affect any single players perception of an active playerbase based on visibly obtained data.

The trouble with that is that either the game has started to spawn off far more instances than before, maybe to cut down on large numbers of players being able to be on the same instance to prevent them from create farms from spawning enemies. Or the numbers have went down overall because even with what you say there, the numbers that you see in any given area has greatly dropped since the game released. You would expect the numbers to have remained the same or to have went up slightly. There was a time that you went into a patrol area and you would see other players all over the place, now even with people farming public events or doing chest runs... I normally only see 1 - 3 other players instead of the 6 - 10 I used to see. Same for the tower, I have noticed that the number of people I see in the tower has drastically dropped over the past few weeks.

So yes you can't use the number that you see to say I don't see 3.2 million so there can't be that many players, but you can notice that you see 1/10th of the people you saw before or notice that you rarely see a full 6 v 6 anymore in pvp to notice that the instances are not as full anymore as they were at launch. So either they have been increasing the number of instances greatly or the number of overall players has dropped greatly. Has to be one or the other.

Bunch of sheep who play whatever is most marketed. I heard the experience is even sweeter if you play with Beats.

You wont see people at the tower because they are doing missions. Also its not one server for everyone... its multiple servers.

Wow has over 6m players at times when I am farming I may not run in to anyone.

You wont see people at the tower because they are doing missions. Also its not one server for everyone... its multiple servers.

Yeah, but where is everyone turning in engrams, buying ammo, armor, upgrading, etc. etc.?

Destiny is fun and all but Warframe is really fun. It has like 10x the content that Destiny has. The grind also is much more rewarding. You guys should check it out. It is the best F2P game I have every played. Even if the XB1 version is a buggy POS half the time due to it being new to that platform.

I'm enjoying it but i'm really starting to think it's just not going to last. It feels like an unfinished single player experience. We waited that long for THIS?! and the invisible walls are just plain infuriating also. Even tron evolution let you explore more then this!

So, Huge flaws but still fun? mostly?

Yeah, but where is everyone turning in engrams, buying ammo, armor, upgrading, etc. etc.?

On one of those servers. It's not like there is one tower server. There are multiple of them. I think the limit is 12 at a time on one of them.

I am finding this game quite enjoyable, but I play with a stable group of RL friends which certainly helps. I always have a fireteam of at least 3 if not 5-6. On the PS4, I have never experienced a crash unless you count the loading bug in the first couple of days of release.

We just ran Vault of Glass on normal mode last night (my first attempt), and managed to complete it in a reasonable amount of time. I ended up getting Aetheon's Epilogue which is interesting and it was a fun experience over all. I can't really comment much on the 3.2M numbers being boasted, but I can say that the number of players seems very high if you use a service like destinylfg.

Although I don't agree with all the design decisions (having to farm upgrade materials, exotic bounties taking up regular bounty spots, RNG madness, tower to orbit absurdity, etc.), I think it is a fun game if you have friends to play with. The PvP certainly also adds a lot of replay-ability for me.

I haven't played in a couple weeks... but I was always seeing 15-16 people including myself in every instance. It was only during the DDoS attacks when I would see fewer. Living in South Florida.

Back