Destiny 2 Physical Game Sales Fell More than 50% versus Original in First Month

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Activision Blizzard's "Destiny 2" game sales are coming in significantly below expectations: U.S. physical game sales of "Destiny 2" declined more than 50 percent in the month of September versus the 2014 release of "Destiny" in its first month, according to NPD sell-through data sourced by three Wall Street analyst reports.

Even if "Destiny 2" digital sales are up significantly versus the original "Destiny," it is highly likely overall sales will still be down materially compared to the first title. Pachter now estimates total first month "Destiny 2" sales including full game digital downloads and physical retail sales will be "down roughly 40% from the first month sales of its predecessor." Analysts said part of the reason for the sales decline may be because it launched on two less console platforms versus the first title. In addition, some gamers may be waiting for the PC version, which launches on Oct. 24.

Analysts said ... the sales decline MAY BE because it launched on two less console platforms ... [and[ some gamers MAY BE waiting for the PC version...

Really, you don't say. Do journalists even need an education any more? Or editors, for that matter?

Destiny was a big letdown for me so I had zero interest in the sequel. Anyone who was interested probably bought it on release week.

You know ... when the gaming review sites mention there are problems with "Destiny 2's" end game ....... it makes myself and many many others take notice and it really does effect our buying decisions.

I mean, this is just basic common sense.

I'm not going to spend $60 dollars only to get to the end and sit there at my PC with nothing to do. I've heard people are destroying the content with no end game or that is weak/shallow.

Wait around every 2 or 3 months or longer for a small bit of DLC content?

Looks like this might be worth buying for $20 in 12 to 18 months like so many other titles.

Edit: So before I went any further with this I decided to go and have a good short read about the end-game just to cover my bases.

Apparently there are no / not any random loot drops? No grinding, etc. Players are asking for this to return.

Also, there is no time sink into getting the best loot. It comes easy? And we all know the old saying, "when you get something easy or free it has little or no value."

People also learned where buying a physical copy of an online game you play off and on for a year is a pain in the ass :eek:

I played a ton of Destiny, I’m waiting for the PC release for D2.

The release of the physical box was pretty awful. Collector's edition sold out in hours. They made special deals to sell out of specific retailers.
For the PC version, the collector's edition wasn't even properly announced and was sold out for an excess of time.
As soon as it was available through blizzard digitally i bought it, i'm sure others did the same as well.

I'm older now! No longer willing to pay release day prices for a game I may not even have the free time to play on much. I'll get it some time down the road : )

Really, you don't say. Do journalists even need an education any more? Or editors, for that matter?

Journalism usually requires that the Journalist be impartial and factual.
If the author gave a personal opinion of why they think the results are like this, despite being quite obvious, then it wouldn't be impartial, would it?

It is up to the reader to form an opinion, given the facts of the story.

I was waiting for Destiny 2 for PC, but then I realized it is locked into Blizzard's battle.net and am weary of buying into another digital game library platform.
As if it wasn't enough to have Steam, EA and Uplay...

yea I've pre-ordered the pc version as well. Digital delivery. And I was SOOOO against digital delivery of games... now... meh.

Anyway Digitial delivery is the way to go. ALSO... Destiny is one of those games people will get over the years and play. Those on PC probably more so. It's a game you can come back to to tinker around some in again and again. I did that on the PS4 until I was tired of keeping a PSN sub just to play Destiny.

Without digital numbers you literally can't come to a conclusion. I haven't bought a physical copy of a game since battlefield 2. Have fun telling us how it is though Wallstreet, doom and gloom the sky is falling!

They used the two word format properly. Maybe you should go back to school? :D

Oh I'm not complaining about the grammar, just the content. Saying something that is glaringly obvious "may be" a cause of something else is annoying. Don't equivocate, just say it!

Not really surprising. Not only are there less platforms, but people are also a lot more aware of what Destiny is. No one really knew wth Destiny was before the first one launched. Now people know and understand how things work.

Or, it could also be that the days of these "glorified hoard modes that endlessly repeat" games are coming to an end the way hyper-detailed simulators died off on the PC 20 years ago? Let's not discount the fact that these games are carbon copies of their previous iterations and, surprise, people get bored, fast, without any kind of narrative. the SP pieces can be completed in, what, like 4 hours for this game?
And the only endgame is "wait for the expansion packs, with MORE of the SAME! WOOOO!".

Battlefront, Destiny, even Titanfall and...honestly any game that just copies itself at this point in time has to ask itself is it going to be competing with its $9.99-used former selves for market share? I have destiny on the xbox, I occasionally play it......no way I'd pay more than $15 for Destiny 2, and that's with added content....

Hollywood tried to release 52+ movies per year, and all they can do to fill that gap is regurgitate the same crap over and over....now people are just burnt on going to the movies, too expensive for the same crap as last year.......games are currently in the same vein, greedy publishers trying to squeeze more and more dollars out of less and less content.....and with so many quality titles to choose from that are older and cheaper, they can't keep wooing us with worse and worse options :p

Journalism usually requires that the Journalist be impartial and factual.
If the author gave a personal opinion of why they think the results are like this, despite being quite obvious, then it wouldn't be impartial, would it?

It is up to the reader to form an opinion, given the facts of the story.
That's not how society works, friend
I was waiting for Destiny 2 for PC, but then I realized it is locked into Blizzard's battle.net and am weary of buying into another digital game library platform.
As if it wasn't enough to have Steam, EA and Uplay...
Reasonable, but Blizzard is pretty good. Not convinced destiny will be

Battlefront, Destiny, even Titanfall and...honestly any game that just copies itself at this point in time has to ask itself is it going to be competing with its $9.99-used former selves for market share? I have destiny on the xbox, I occasionally play it......no way I'd pay more than $15 for Destiny 2, and that's with added content....

Titanfall 2 was fantastic, never even touched multiplayer, played the campaign through twice because its just a blast. Cannot remember the last fps I did that in.

I want more ultra detail simulation games!

Titanfall 2 was fantastic, never even touched multiplayer, played the campaign through twice because its just a blast. Cannot remember the last fps I did that in.

I want more ultra detail simulation games!

Gotta be honest, when Titanfall forced me to spend the first, what, hour of my time wall-running in closed, rocky canyons I felt like I was shooting it out in the lead-up to Black Mesa back in Half Life's intro........why games give you giant mechs to fight in and then confine you to close spaces, honestly, I will never understand. AND..in hindsight probably shouldn't have included Titanfall in my berating of shallow gameplay, indeed the Dev's stepped up with T2 but it just didn't click (my guess is just too much competition, not everyone has hundreds to blow on new-game titles every month). You Sir, have shamed me. :D

Destiny 2 already has about 10x the end-game content the original did. I think people are wary about buying this game right now because everyone knows there will be a boatload of DLC coming. There's no penalty for waiting for the expansions, either. That and at least some of us (probably not a huge %, though) are waiting on the PC release.
I believe sales are down, but probably not as much as it seems.
I can see everything perking up come Nov/Dec, too.

Does retail even include digital? Because i learn my lesson from Destiny 1 and didnt buy the physical copy. Went digital this time around.

I got sick of the end game raid stuff. I don't have time for video games as much lately. I'm not doing any more stupid raids.

I liked Destiny a lot, even after growing a bit tired of the repetitive and predictable DLC. Great cooperative game for my wife and I, sunk a lot of hours in it.

The sequel is more like Destiny 1.5, not enough changes or improvements to keep my interest very long. Instead my cooperative gaming has shifted to PUBG, which is one of the better coop experiences Ive played.

It's already dropped to $35 (newegg) and how long has it been out? A month? 2? Meanwhile Overwatch still makes money all day long at $39.99 2 years later.

I just bought mine off ebay last week for $40 :( Knew I should have held out a little longer. It's ok, but there's no reason this couldn't have been DLC.

Oh I'm not complaining about the grammar, just the content. Saying something that is glaringly obvious "may be" a cause of something else is annoying. Don't equivocate, just say it!
Gotcha. Yeah, it's a lot of couching of words for sure.

It's already dropped to $35 (newegg) and how long has it been out? A month? 2? Meanwhile Overwatch still makes money all day long at $39.99 2 years later.

I just bought mine off ebay last week for $40 :( Knew I should have held out a little longer. It's ok, but there's no reason this couldn't have been DLC.

You can find overwatch on sale quite often for 30 bucks or less. Every game will always go on sale after a month or two its release day.

Originally I preorder the PC version back in June but recently got it refunded due to lack of a strong solo PvE experience. I'm going to wait until it's fully patched & the PvE-strong expansions are released.

Not really surprising. Not only are there less platforms, but people are also a lot more aware of what Destiny is. No one really knew wth Destiny was before the first one launched. Now people know and understand how things work.

which is exactly why the game should have sold better not worse...especially since Year 1 (or whatever the name was) was well regarded...being more aware of a brand does not equate to less sales

which is exactly why the game should have sold better not worse...especially since Year 1 (or whatever the name was) was well regarded...being more aware of a brand does not equate to less sales

It does when the brand is really a 6/10 pretending to be a 9/10, which is destiny in a nutshell.

Don't get me wrong, its a fun 6/10 but that is what it is. I hate that review sites have basically made anything less than an 8/10 unacceptable in the minds of gamers, nothing wrong with a fun 6.

no fucking duh, digital sales are the way forward, less cost to send 0's and 1's to your hard drive than buying shelf space for a dying format

It does when the brand is really a 6/10 pretending to be a 9/10, which is destiny in a nutshell.

Don't get me wrong, its a fun 6/10 but that is what it is. I hate that review sites have basically made anything less than an 8/10 unacceptable in the minds of gamers, nothing wrong with a fun 6.

I'm no expert on Destiny but I think the base game at release was a 6/10 but Year 3 or whatever it was called was in much better shape and an overall much improved experience

Maybe some of us learned from buying Destiny on release. The game was fun, but was very incomplete. You could beat the game in no time and you were just grinding the same stuff over and over again. Even after releasing a bunch of DLC it was still incomplete. The story was also all over the place. Like it was written by someone with attention deficit disorder. There was also the team seemingly adding and removing things on a whim.

I just completely avoided Destiny 2 release for now. I'll wait for them to release some Game+All DLC pack like a year or two from now.

You know ... when the gaming review sites mention there are problems with "Destiny 2's" end game ....... it makes myself and many many others take notice and it really does effect our buying decisions.

I mean, this is just basic common sense.

I'm not going to spend $60 dollars only to get to the end and sit there at my PC with nothing to do. I've heard people are destroying the content with no end game or that is weak/shallow.

Wait around every 2 or 3 months or longer for a small bit of DLC content?

Looks like this might be worth buying for $20 in 12 to 18 months like so many other titles.

Edit: So before I went any further with this I decided to go and have a good short read about the end-game just to cover my bases.

Apparently there are no / not any random loot drops? No grinding, etc. Players are asking for this to return.

Also, there is no time sink into getting the best loot. It comes easy? And we all know the old saying, "when you get something easy or free it has little or no value."

Oh so you mean like paying $60 for a single player game and finishing it...
People just like to complain.

I'm no expert on Destiny but I think the base game at release was a 6/10 but Year 3 or whatever it was called was in much better shape and an overall much improved experience

Which just proves my point. If the base game is a 6/10, but after 3 years of DLC it is a 9/10 (which kinda makes the game a 7.5/10 but imho the shitty practice makes it 5/10) why would you buy the game? why not wait until the DLC is released and play the 9/10 game instead of the 6/10 version?

Oh so you mean like paying $60 for a single player game and finishing it...
People just like to complain.
most these people whining about lack of end game are odd. Between the whole story (and yes there is an actual story this time lol) running a few strikes, doing the nightfalls and doing the raid once I got way more play time than I do out of most single player games for the same price, probably around 30-40 hours playtime before I was able to run and beat the raid. ANd considering I was able to preorder the game for 40% off I got way more value for my money than alot fo games offer. These people that whine about how after 60+ hours in their game they have nothing to do really need to look at their complaints lol

Michael "EA buying out Take 2 Interactive is an inevitability" Pachter? LOL!

Which just proves my point. If the base game is a 6/10, but after 3 years of DLC it is a 9/10 (which kinda makes the game a 7.5/10 but imho the shitty practice makes it 5/10) why would you buy the game? why not wait until the DLC is released and play the 9/10 game instead of the 6/10 version?

That's why i'm waiting. It's not worth it to me until I see the quality of the DLC. Part of me doesn't want to raid anymore, like at all. After WoW raids, i'm sick of them and their nonsense.

mmos suck now. they arn't really mmo's just small instance games.

Reactions: DF-1
like this

if Year 3 made the game a 9/10 one would think that Bungie learned from this and would work hard to make sure that Destiny 2 would be at that high point right from the beginning (although from what I've been hearing Destiny 2 is not)

if Year 3 made the game a 9/10 one would think that Bungie learned from this and would work hard to make sure that Destiny 2 would be at that high point right from the beginning (although from what I've been hearing Destiny 2 is not)

hahahaha! Yeah, they won't change a thing until several games flop because of this behaviour, and that has yet to happen.

Back