Destiny 2 PC Developers Talk Esports and Cheating

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Destiny 2 is going to finally hit the PC in a few days and is up for pre-loading now. The developers chat with the folks at the Telegraph and reveal some things about esports, cheating, and if Destiny 1's story will ever come to the PC. Take a look because it's a pretty good read.

After over a month of waiting, watching console players get their mitts on everything Destiny 2 has to offer, PC players will finally get access to the game in just a few days. It's up for pre-loading now, and just next week is available through Battle.net, unlocking late afternoon in the UK.

I've had my preorder in for over a month and have the preload done so I'm ready to go. I may have even taken the 24th off for shits and giggles. (Not to mention some projects at work are just with MONSTEROUSLY bad vendors. UGH. )

Nah, can't get into any game that is console-first. PC only, maybe PC-first if its something I really want. But I'd prefer PC exclusives. I don't want the compromises that console controllers require.

I'm in, cheating will only really impact PvP which I'm too old to care about anymore,

I really enjoyed the beta but I don't preorder games anymore. I'll read the reviews and then decide; however, this could be a fun time killer to play some pve coop with friends.

I don't care about the esport aspect of PvP for this game, but I don't want to buy a game I'll only play half of due to their auto aim garbage.

Nah, can't get into any game that is console-first. PC only, maybe PC-first if its something I really want. But I'd prefer PC exclusives. I don't want the compromises that console controllers require.
I'd typically agree, but the beta showed this game played like it was a PC game. Ran beautiful in 4k and the mouse and KB were as responsive as i'd want in any action FPS shooter.

No game that has auto aim or aim assist has any business being a competitive esport. So unless they plan on removing all that garbage, Pass.

No game that has auto aim or aim assist has any business being a competitive esport. So unless they plan on removing all that garbage, Pass.

Do you only play games that are "competitive e-sports"?

Historically speaking, a large reason people really enjoyed Destiny was because of the PvE elements like the loot system, strikes, and raids. I could care less if the person I partied up with has some form of aim assist in PvE. The jury is still out on the impact it may have on PvP at this point in time.

It's not even just aim assist, the tracking is just absurd. Might as well call it "aimbot" since you can hit people in pvp if you have the skill of a potato.

I am not sure I follow. If you are using a Mouse/Keyboard in Destiny 2, you don't have aim assist. There are workarounds like using a Xim to get mouse/keyboard with aim assist, but you are still relying on the controller --> m/k translation layer which is imperfect.

In my experience, playing with a controller in PvP on the PC version of Destiny 2 puts you at a significant disadvantage. I was a decent player in Destiny 1 with a controller (Fleat) and I was getting my ass handed to me with a controller on the PC when I tested it. Keyboard and mouse was clearly superior for me and my KA/D ratio was significantly higher.

Last edited:
I am not sure I follow. If you are using a Mouse/Keyboard in Destiny 2, you don't have aim assist. There are workarounds like using a Xim to get mouse/keyboard with aim assist, but you are still relying on the controller --> m/k translation layer which is imperfect.

In my experience, playing with a controller in PvP on the PC version of Destiny 2 puts you at a significant disadvantage. I was a decent player in Destiny 1 with a controller (Fleat) and I was getting my ass handed to me with a controller on the PC when I tested it. Keyboard and mouse was clearly superior for me and my KA/D ratio was significantly higher.
Shouldn't be there at all, period, does not belong. If you cannot make hits using an input device, then use another one.

Additionally, knowing how things are exploited, the fact that gamepad emulation(through a xim4, driver, or whatever else) even allows this in the first place due to it being built into the game(fucking absurd) leaving it in place is just putting down a welcome mat for cheaters to use it with M+KB.

Do you only play games that are "competitive e-sports"?

Historically speaking, a large reason people really enjoyed Destiny was because of the PvE elements like the loot system, strikes, and raids. I could care less if the person I partied up with has some form of aim assist in PvE. The jury is still out on the impact it may have on PvP at this point in time.

No, I lived Destiny and played a ton of it. I was only commenting on the esport commentary. As for PVP though I won't participate in any PVP that has aimbot garbage built in. I played hundreds of hours of Destiny, I probably spent 30 minutes ever doing PVP.

I don't care about the esport aspect of PvP for this game, but I don't want to buy a game I'll only play half of due to their auto aim garbage.
Auto aim. Is only if you're using a controller. No auto aim BS for the more accurate mouse and kb.

Back