Destiny 2 Is Free

Figured I'd give it a go but you need to give them your phone number. They want to send you a text message to be able to play games, but by the time the message arrives my assumption is it will no longer be free. Just an FYI. Isn't worth the effort, probably a crap game anyways.

Add in the unique game launcher required and it suddenly isn't worth it even for free.

Thanks for the heads up.. finally will try the game without have to pay for it =D sorry activision you won't get my money (as EA lately)

Battle.net is a unique game launcher? Since when? About the only one I use recently.

I already have Steam, Origin & Uplay plus a few others. Wouldn't mind trying it for free, but the hoops they make you jump through is a pain. Not need for another launcher that supports maybe 1-2 other games IMO. Still haven't received my message either. Will see about deleting my account tomorrow, I doubt they'll get around to sending me their activation stuff.

Figured I'd give it a go but you need to give them your phone number. They want to send you a text message to be able to play games, but by the time the message arrives my assumption is it will no longer be free. Just an FYI. Isn't worth the effort, probably a crap game anyways.

Add in the unique game launcher required and it suddenly isn't worth it even for free.
What the heck are you talking about? They just send an SMS verification code instantly which is what plenty of companies do. And the launcher is no big deal and works quite well. Also I believe there are quite a few people that use it for the very popular games from Blizzard...

What the heck are you talking about? They just send an SMS verification code instantly which is what plenty of companies do. And the launcher is no big deal and works quite well. Also I believe there are quite a few people that use it for the very popular games from Blizzard...

I guess i'm more surprised you don't already have Battle.net. Its been a staple for Blizzard games since, well forever and the launcher itself has been the only way to play any of them since 2013? WoW, Heroes of the Storm, Overwatch and Diablo are hugely popular games so I guess I assumed everyone used it.

I guess i'm more surprised you don't already have Battle.net. Its been a staple for Blizzard games since, well forever and the launcher itself has been the only way to play any of them since 2013? WoW, Heroes of the Storm, Overwatch and Diablo are hugely popular games so I guess I assumed everyone used it.
I personally dont care about any of those games but yeah that was my point is that it is a launcher for some very popular games.

Grabbed it an hour or so ago. Hopefully it's fun

it's not bad for about 3 days then there isn't jack shit to do.. they definitely geared it toward casual players compared to the first game especially on the multiplayer side.

it's not bad for about 3 days then there isn't jack shit to do.. they definitely geared it toward casual players compared to the first game especially on the multiplayer side.
Erm, when was the last time you played? Forsaken killed that whole idea and now there is too much to do.

When I logged into battle.net agent it showed I have a free gift till November 16 :) .
But not at all interested in Destiny 2 ;)

Erm, when was the last time you played? Forsaken killed that whole idea and now there is too much to do.

maybe it did but i'm not paying more just to get what destiny 2 should of been in the first place.. i mean i understand why they're doing the free thing to hopefully get more people to buy the expansion.. it's a smart move on their part since most of those people won't experience why it went from full price to 50% off in under 2 months but at 40 bucks on top of what i already paid no thanks. the core game it's self which is what this free gift is, isn't very good. or maybe i'm just getting old, who knows, lol.

When I logged into battle.net agent it showed I have a free gift till November 16 :) .
But not at all interested in Destiny 2 ;)

you can still accept it but never install it.. who knows maybe one day they'll make the expansions free and it'll be worth playing.

Last edited:
Shame.. I'm so happy I got bored a few months ago with games and saw the hype from a few posts about Forsaken. I haven't been able to put it down or play anything else since then. The story, lore, environments and grind are just so addicting now.

They sent me an SMS code at 6AM. That is well over 8 hours after I tried to get one. Now it doesn't work; I assume you have to use it within a minute or so. Not really worth refreshing your email constantly over an 8-12 hour period. Free is okay but all these hoops just aren't worth it. As for the launcher, it doesn't do anything Steam or Origin don't already do better. If it was simple to get I'd understand but if they can't even allow you to set up your account properly to use games I'm going to assume the launcher is bloated and as poorly made as their sign in features. Probably why they have to resort to giving games way for free.

But yeah it is more or less a glorified WoW launcher and as big as WoW was/is, most gamers never touched it which explains why I've never even heard of it. Had no idea these guys had their own Steam knock off.

technically battle.net predates Steam if I recall. Although the launcher is a more recent thing, but still at least 5-6 years ago I don't remember clearly

technically battle.net predates Steam if I recall. Although the launcher is a more recent thing, but still at least 5-6 years ago I don't remember clearly
You used to have to open a web page (that initially didn't work on 64-bit browsers) to launch the games.

Blizzard launched the battle.net launcher in 2013, so Steam predates it considerably...

I totally assumed battle.net died long ago, like in the early 2000s, as I hear people cry "I miss battle.net" often around here... maybe they're talking about the original website/service and expressing their dissatisfaction with it's current state...

anywho, Destiny always looked cool to me, wanted to try it, but almost nobody recommends it so I'm giving it a big fat PASS

cool OST though :cool:

Battle.net used to be a simple account service for multiplayer on Diablo. It dates back to Diablo II's release. Its one of the first games I remember having to make an account for. The current Battle.net service blows as far as I'm concerned. It's about as good as U-Play.

Blizzard launched the battle.net launcher in 2013, so Steam predates it considerably...

I totally assumed battle.net died long ago, like in the early 2000s, as I hear people cry "I miss battle.net" often around here... maybe they're talking about the original website/service and expressing their dissatisfaction with it's current state...

anywho, Destiny always looked cool to me, wanted to try it, but almost nobody recommends it so I'm giving it a big fat PASS

cool OST though :cool:

It's an 80gig download and after playing it a while, I'd say don't delete anything you might even remotely like to make room for it.

How long is the dang tutorial? The game (Destiny) is cool but I only want to try the multiplayer and maybe the raid or whatever. It is annoying how you are forced to run through the beginning missions. I get scared playing games by myself at night.

My experience with Destiny - waited in line at game stop for PS4 Destiny (Before my PC days). The first raid was probably one of the coolest gaming experiences I have ever had next to Socom 2. Bought the first DLC and abruptly quit the game forever. I do not like grinding and after you beat the raid 20 times it is pointless to me.

I couldn't pass up D2 for FREE but damn. I was halfway through a mission and the game crashed and I had to restart the whole thing.

Sorry for my pointless rant. I want to try the raid but idk if I am willing to play a 45 minute tutorial to get there.

Back