Despite what AMD says in drivers, did s.o. test Ryzen 3000+Windows 7

Jandor

Gawd
AMD already announced Threadripper 1950x not compatible with Windows 7, but it was (until they updated the BIOS to receive the TR 2000).
So, did someone try to install and run Windows 7 + X470 or B450 + Ryzen 3000 ?

No it's not.
Windows 7 Pro is comparable to W10 Pro regarding capabilities. x64 supported, quite same amount of RAM supported, same number of cores supported. Until last W10 update 1903, Windows 7 was much faster and supported better multithreading and multiple core...
AND the UI is much better. You're faster on W7 UI than on W10 especially if you have a super-big screen or multiple screens.
So, for now, because I can use expensive sofwtare that would become incompatible with W10 through updates, I stay on Windows 7 which is much much better for me. Not all the people are gaming online or running servers... in fact there may be plenty on this forum but very few in the real world. And if you look at the professionals they all prefer Windows 7. Windows 10 has an unprofessional policy. People don't want to lose time on computers for the computer industry sake. They want to do their job easily without any fuss. Windows 7 si good for that, Windows 10 is not. I'm not working for Microsoft. I'm working for myself.

And there won't be anything special that will make Windows 10 better regarding capabilities. Intel can put an AVX 2048 in all his CPU, he will only lose silicon space and make their CPU hotter. Won't be an advantage to use these. I also don't care about any 3% speed optimization...
And also CUDA and OpenCL do work on Windows 7 the same and DirectX11 is so much okay against DirectX12 and supported for plenty of time.
And again Windows 7 Pro is ultra-compatible with all the software published until now and that make a lot of professional software that you don't want to buy, to buy again and to rent just because of Windows 10 forced updates that made your older software incompatible. Windows 10 even has the habit to uninstall software that it thinks are incompatible even though they aren't.

Last edited:
I was having an issue with installing Win10 on my modded Xeon in a 775 board so I put 7 on it.
Was so strange using 7 since it felt dated. Was able to install 10 a few days later when I flashed a new BIOS with the correct Xeon microcode, and haven't looked back.

I was having an issue with installing Win10 on my modded Xeon in a 775 board so I put 7 on it.
Was so strange using 7 since it felt dated. Was able to install 10 a few days later when I flashed a new BIOS with the correct Xeon microcode, and haven't looked back.
Good for you. I am forced to use Windows 10 on the bootcamp of my Macbook and it's a real pain. So nice when I come back to Windows 7. Even Mac OSX and Apple management becoming, for an OS, more and more attractive vs Windows 10 and Microsoft and I always used to dislike Apple and Mac OSX, but now Microsoft makes everything to become a cheap company only interested in budgeting their monopole.

On a Mac, you don't want to update, you don't.

In fact Windows 10 would make my business much much more expensive to run. I would lose money on new software that I should learn and reinstall, would lose plenty of money lost in time, too long unnecessary updates, faulty updates, software uninstalled by Microsoft, continuously modified UI in non documented ways you have to relearn, interface reconfigured by default at each major update.
Nobody's got the feeling their are getting screwed by Microsoft ?
The principle is simple : the more time you spend on their problem, the more you pay attention to their problem, you will imagine important, and the more you will end paying to Microsoft. All the big software companies are using this principle now to extort more money from you without bringing anything new. In all those companies the developers have been brought down to a few people compared to thousands of salesmen who, the most of them do not even know the product they are selling you.

No it's not.
Windows 7 Pro is comparable to W10 Pro regarding capabilities. x64 supported, quite same amount of RAM supported, same number of cores supported. Until last W10 update 1903, Windows 7 was much faster and supported better multithreading and multiple core...
AND the UI is much better. You're faster on W7 UI than on W10 especially if you have a super-big screen or multiple screens.
So, for now, because I can use expensive sofwtare that would become incompatible with W10 through updates, I stay on Windows 7 which is much much better for me. Not all the people are gaming online or running servers... in fact there may be plenty on this forum but very few in the real world. And if you look at the professionals they all prefer Windows 7. Windows 10 has an unprofessional policy. People don't want to lose time on computers for the computer industry sake. They want to do their job easily without any fuss. Windows 7 si good for that, Windows 10 is not. I'm not working for Microsoft. I'm working for myself.

And there won't be anything special that will make Windows 10 better regarding capabilities. Intel can put an AVX 2048 in all his CPU, he will only lose silicon space and make their CPU hotter. Won't be an advantage to use these. I also don't care about any 3% speed optimization...
And also CUDA and OpenCL do work on Windows 7 the same and DirectX11 is so much okay against DirectX12 and supported for plenty of time.
And again Windows 7 Pro is ultra-compatible with all the software published until now and that make a lot of professional software that you don't want to buy, to buy again and to rent just because of Windows 10 forced updates that made your older software incompatible. Windows 10 even has the habit to uninstall software that it thinks are incompatible even though they aren't.

I'll just say this, hoping not to turn this into yet another Windows 10 vs Windows 7 thread, that I was right there with you until a few months ago. And if Microsoft hadn't announced to stop support unless you pay in 2020, I'd still be on 7. That said, I upgraded to Windows 10 much to my chagrin since it's eventually...inevitable. Anywho, I've been...happy with it. After a few learning curves, it's quick to navigate, all the software I've tried (old and new) has worked without issues. The built in multimonitor support is better, I like the task manager better, I like the file copy window better (yes, it's the small things), the ability to make it all dark themed out of the box is great, updates actually don't bother me, and I have every bit of telemetry that I can find disabled which makes me sleep better at night (because I'm super important in Microsofts eyes). I've never had it uninstall my software, try to control my PC habits, or any of the other stuff that online hold-outs would have you believe. I was in the same boat when 7 came around and I loved XP but eventually, we all must convert to stay current. Eventually Windows 7 will be as vintage as a Windows 3.1/95/98/DOS/etc gaming/vintage setup.

I agree with the file copy. In Windows 7 it's buggy and they never fixed it. It's one point they use to force the upgrade and this kind of thing is insane for Microsoft bad image.
Windows 10 uninstalled on my friend computer his Adobe professional suite after an update. He had to discuss and send emails and all the stuff for a few weeks until Adobe agreed to give him another key, trying to push him to an unecessary rented CC Suite.
He reinstalled his suite on Windows 7 to avoid any further issue. I had my legit Revit Suite 2009 who I could install without a glitch rendered unauthorized after an update of Windows 10. I could miraculously reauthorize after a fresh reinstall, but then a new update broke the interface. But then I was lucky to be able to transfer the key to a Windows 7 computer.
So I don't really agree with the great compatibility of Windows 10.
On the contrary Windows 7 Pro uses the virtualized XP mode which permits me to use older expensive hardware that do not even have 64 bit drivers. So there is no comparison between the two. When I'm using Windows 10 I always have the feeling I'm using a Microsoft gadget. The animated bubble game thing in the icon even reminds me how much this has become a gaming plateform instead of a professional OS, all the stress been put on jokes and distraction instead of efficiency.

So this is all about the spirit of how this works now at Microsoft.

So, since I'd like to stay on Windows because of all the professionnal stuff, I'd rather move to Linux + virtualized Windows 7 rather than 10. If Ryzen 3000 are blocked on Windows 7, I'll go Windows 7 on Linux. But maybe some 3900X may go on a B450 or X470 MB with WIndows 7 pro, maybe installed on Ryzen 2000 before switching CPU.

Last edited:
In an enterprise environment, I find windows 10 much easier to support remotely. We do have some production machines running windows 7 32bit that wont work on Windows 10 which is a bummer.

No it's not.

No its not. Keep telling yourself that increasing your attack surface is a good idea because UI is what you like if you want. But dont tell people its better because its not.

Because we share an internet. Only fools run Win7 now for the most part.
I see no reason to run windows 7 personally, but as long as it is supported by microsoft, what's the problem? EOL is 6 months away. Then we will have a problem.

We have a few systems at the city that still run on Windows 7 as we have certain software that will not run on Windows 10 and have a signed extended support with Microsoft because of it. Personally I still like Windows 7 better then 10, 10 is just severely bloated with useless garbage.

I see no reason to run windows 7 personally, but as long as it is supported by microsoft, what's the problem? EOL is 6 months away. Then we will have a problem.

If someone is looking for away to run their shiney new 3000 chip on win 7... I have to believe they intend to continue running it 7 months from now. I also have to assume they are not the type to be paying for extended support.

If someone is looking for away to run their shiney new 3000 chip on win 7... I have to believe they intend to continue running it 7 months from now. I also have to assume they are not the type to be paying for extended support.

I don't understand why people insist on staying with Win 7 because they don't like Win 10 when Win 8.1 is fully supported until Jan 2023. LIke you said, in 6 months, on Jan 13, 2020, Win 7 support is done, there's no reason to install it on a new computer at this point. If you don't like Windows 10 as it stands, use 8.1.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
I don't understand why people insist on staying with Win 7 because they don't like Win 10 when Win 8.1 is fully supported until Jan 2023. LIke you said, in 6 months, on Jan 13, 2020, Win 7 support is done, there's no reason to install it on a new computer at this point. If you don't like Windows 10 as it stands, use 8.1.
Why would people choose 8.1 over 10? I just don't understand. Windows 7 looks completely different so that at least makes sense.

Why would people choose 8.1 over 10? I just don't understand. Windows 7 looks completely different so that at least makes sense.

8.1 is a lot more like 7 than 10 is. All of the management is still relatively the same unlike the changes that came with 10. If you're hell bent on running an older OS, it's a much better option than 7.

Those who don't like Windows 7, just find another subject. You won't convince me, and this is not the subject for that.
The subject is "How to run Windows 7 (Pro) on Ryzen 3000 series" and returns of experience. This is not a subject about your opinion on Windows 10 or Windows 7. Don't waste your time.

OP asked a tehnical question on a teachnical forum
gets fanboys and fanantatics answers on how to converter to their religion with not understanding of OP usercase.

Man its hard to get decent tech forums in todays opinion before-facts-attitude ppl

Really wisha mod would clean up this thread so we can focus on the technical/knoweldge improvements OP is asking into.

while not installed on x470, i can boot win7 just fine. Tho OP should just install linux and do kvm if he/she needs stop sucking.

I'm planning to update a win 7 system from C2Q to Ryzen 2600 this weekend. I plan to not do a full reinstall ( I know, I know the world will end). It's not my computer so I'm trying to keep everything as if nothing happened other than it's a shit ton faster. Wish me luck and I'll report back on how win7 runs on Ryzen+.

OP asked a tehnical question on a teachnical forum
gets fanboys and fanantatics answers on how to converter to their religion with not understanding of OP usercase.

Man its hard to get decent tech forums in todays opinion before-facts-attitude ppl

Really wisha mod would clean up this thread so we can focus on the technical/knoweldge improvements OP is asking into.

Also, move this to the Operating System forum, well we are at it, since that is what it is about anyways.

The 'technical knowledge/improvement' is get off Windows 7.

"I don't like Windows 10" isn't a valid excuse. You need a plan to get off 7 to something that's going to be supported, period.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
Stay on topic.

The fact is, it is not officially supported. If the OP needs to stick with Windows 7, and he could have lead off with his program compatibility needs, then he needs to use supported hardware. Anything else is a crapshoot.

did the op even explain what the problem was?

all i see is him asking if anyone ever tried to install windows 7 on a x470 board?

then the windows 7 bashing starts

also microsoft support lol it's like a life jacket made out of lead.

user: your life jacket is trying to kill me

ms: well you put it on now it's your problem

Although some of the responses may be a bit harsh. Harsh may be a little required at this point.

I get it people loved windows 7... however, its 10 years old on the 22nd.

MS has announced an end of windows 7 updates.

MS has released TWO functioning operating systems since.

YES your choice of OS effects ME and everyone else on the internet. You can argue that your S M R T and you won't be part of the bot net... you don't log into your banking accounts... you don't let chrome or firefox save all your passwords. ect ect I can however guarantee you that if you are still using windows 7 in July 2020 and you are not paying for security updates the chances of your choice effecting everyone else is very high.

To the OPS question. I wouldn't be surprised if the CPU itself worked... it will be chipset drivers that will be the issue. Perhaps someone will find work around for USB NVME and the like controllers for x570 but I wouldn't count on it. Although I can't see why a X470 / 450, or 3000 supported x370 boards with win7 drivers wouldn't work. In general if the bios recognizes the processor the OS tends to not get in the way.

So ya if you really NEED to be on windows 7 for some unknown reason for the next 6 months (or longer if you are getting extended support) I would suggest a previous generation board with proper windows 7 chipset drivers. My personal suggestion would be move on to windows 10 if your sticking with MS, its their current operating system. If your choice of 7 is because of philosophical issues with MS and or their latest OS... there are other options. Linux isn't scary... it slices it dices.

Last edited:
I would actually like to test Windows 7 vs. Windows 10 (1903) on Ryzen 9 3900X. I'm not going to, but I'd like to see the results. I simply don't have time for that and frankly, getting Windows 7 to work on these things is a pain in the ass. I just don't want to deal with it. Windows 7 will never get the updates that Windows 10 did concerning Ryzen's CCX core topology. Basically, Windows puts threads where it wants regardless of CCX layout. This leads to latency traversing CCX complexes and going core to core. Windows 10 (build 1903) solves this by making the Windows scheduler aware of the Ryzen CPU layout. It now uses a single, local CCX complex before placing threads on the next one.

That said, the benefits of the scheduler improvements probably impact games more than anything else. That's where the latency issues seemed to be the most problematic.

did the op even explain what the problem was?

all i see is him asking if anyone ever tried to install windows 7 on a x470 board?

then the windows 7 bashing starts

Exactly the problem here. You can't even type "windows 7" here without the flamethrowers coming out about how you're causing cancer to other people.

That said, the benefits of the scheduler improvements probably impact games more than anything else. That's where the latency issues seemed to be the most problematic.

Seems reasonable. Then again, if you're GPU limited anyways and still want the extra cores, would be interested to see if the 1903 stuff even matters.

Because you are and by virtue of being here you should know better.

If Windows 7, still supported by MS with security updates from MS causes cancer, Windows 10, still supported by MS with security updates, also causes cancer.

Either it does or doesn't, you can't pick and choose which OS causes cancer today based on future security update support.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Either it does or doesn't

Wrong- Windows 7 support is ending. That means that the OP should be finding ways off of Windows 7, not finding ways to keep running it. Once support ends, the system is a liability to every other system that it can reach over a network.

Wrong- Windows 7 support is ending. That means that the OP should be finding ways off of Windows 7, not finding ways to keep running it. Once support ends, the system is a liability to every other system that it can reach over a network.

so does anyone who opens spam emails or browses some porn sites.

there's so many holes in your argument that you can't possibly be serious.

Back