Despite Microsoft’s aggressive tactics, Windows 10’s growth slows

DPI

[H]F Junkie
Another month, another drop in Windows 10's adoption rate from the month prior. This is the real metric that has MS worried while they frantically press release big round numbers of how many total PC's have supposedly upgraded.

And this despite the trojan nagware tactics of GWX on 7 and 8 that is tricking unsuspecting people to upgrade, and new PC's sold during the holiday rush coming with 10 pre-installed. Windows 7 barely lost any share in December, and XP actually increased.

http://betanews.com/2016/01/01/desp...tactics-windows-10s-growth-continues-to-slow/

It's more a sign that consumer upgrades are slowing, and more worrying is the sorry state of consumer PC sales in what should be a "good" quarter. The entire market hasn' t been upgrading. It's virtually only been a portion of the consumer segment. The far larger portion, business and corporate, is virtually devoid of Win10 installations.

My daughter is in college, and she has a laptop and a desktop. Her roommates have only a cell phone and a tablet, or just a cell phone. They use the college's PC's to do their homework, or use my daughter's PCs. So I guess these Millennials don't like PC's, including Apple due to costs compared to Window machines?

Kind of hard to take stats seriously when they show an increase in XP usage. I also don't feel that enough time has passed to accurately judge the effect of holiday sales.

Kind of hard to take stats seriously when they show an increase in XP usage. I also don't feel that enough time has passed to accurately judge the effect of holiday sales.

I think we tend to take these surveys a bit too literally. So Windows 10 when from 9% to EXACTLY 9.96% of actual PC market share in December. And more XP machine came online. At best these surveys give us general trends. The other major net tracker, GS Stat Counter, showed considerable acceleration this month in Windows 10 growth and that tracker was showing exactly the same deceleration in growth as Netmarketshare until this month. And that makes sense in a month with holidays sales and a lot of vacation time and fewer people using PCs at work.

As you point out, we need data from holiday sales to see the real picture here.

The proportions of unique systems connected to the Internet and measured over a wide range of sites is a decent proxy for adoption rates. As you point out, it's not a perfect measurement. It would be more useful if error bars were included for the ranges, but that might be something reserved for paid products NetApplications sells subscriptions to.

In 31 days we'll get another update, but the Win10 adoption trend has been fairly flat for many weeks across different surveys. I wouldn't expect a major change in marketshare for Win10 mostly due to poor consumer PC sales (where virtually all Win10 users come from), most "wanted" upgrades being completed and near total lack of adoption in the (very much larger than consumer segment) business/corporate segments.

One interesting bit in the current NetApplications data is that only ~150 million Windows 10 systems are counted, vs the 200 million number MS touted this week. That suggests tens of millions of "Windows 10" licenses are exercising downgrade rights on new systems shipping mostly to corporate customers. :p

I was out my parent's house today and they are still running Windows 7 because I only created user level accounts for them to use. My mom is a clicker, they would be on 10 for sure otherwise :p

959b092abf8b0293507bc44b80eef0c8

http://news.yahoo.com/windows-10-ends-2015-under-185847309.html?nf=1

Windows 10 is downright awesome on touch enabled hardware... on non touch hardware it just does not fit well

I knew almost immediately the one who started this thread and sure enough, I was right. :D So, is Apple or Ubuntu paying you to post stuff like this?

I knew almost immediately the one who started this thread and sure enough, I was right. :D So, is Apple or Ubuntu paying you to post stuff like this?

Someone has to counter balance Microsoft paying you and Heatlesssun for your propaganda posting.

It all balances out in the middle.

Someone has to counter balance Microsoft paying you and Heatlesssun for your propaganda posting.

It all balances out in the middle.

If I were getting paid to by Microsoft to promote its products, I've said many times I wouldn't waste the effort on this particular forum. It's too small and invariably it's always the same people responding on both sides.

That said, unlike a lot of the haters, Windows 10 the OS I used on all of my personal devices and I use it with tons of hardware and software. So I have an opinion that often not jive with those truly spreading propaganda.

I'd like to see how many of the people who upgraded to Windows 10 ended up going back to Windows 7 or 8

I'd like to see how many of the people who upgraded to Windows 10 ended up going back to Windows 7 or 8

Well the people that do are picky as fuck or totally clueless...all 3 setups seem exactly the same once setup correctly...and thats the truth

I did on one of my laptops. Something wasn't working right and I didn't want to figure it out, but I have windows 10 on three other computers and a tablet that is working fine.

I just got a Chuwi Hi8 tablet with Windows 10 & I absolutely love using it. I have a gaming desktop & a notebook that have Windows 10 as well. I don't think I'll ever go back to 7 or 8/8.1 w/o a really damn good reason (absolutely none at the moment).

Probably because of technical reasons.

I had to downgrade back to 7 on my laptop because some things I used weren't working right. Also had some frustrating issues with certain links to programs not opening with the search function. I'm not sure if that was a Windows issue, or a StartisBack issue, but regardless, it was incredibly annoying. Also things like USB tethering, for whatever reason, refused to work on Windows 10.

Happy to be back on Windows 7 but really wish it had better DPI scaling.

I had to downgrade back to 7 on my laptop because some things I used weren't working right. Also had some frustrating issues with certain links to programs not opening with the search function. I'm not sure if that was a Windows issue, or a StartisBack issue, but regardless, it was incredibly annoying. Also things like USB tethering, for whatever reason, refused to work on Windows 10.

Happy to be back on Windows 7 but really wish it had better DPI scaling.

Guess I've been lucky. At this point I don't have any major issues with hardware upgraded to 10 (some wonkiness with an 8" Asus tablet that came with 8) and not a single problem with any software that at worst only required simple fixes. The device that's been the most problematic was my Surface Book initially and now most of those issues have been resolved. Windows 7 would have solved nothing in my case at any rate.

At this point Windows 7 isn't workable for me given my hardware and software mix that incorporates a number of Windows Store apps. Nothing on the productivity side but some games and social media apps that I use frequently.

It is normal for a slow down of growth. The early adopters have hit, and now it will be the rate of new PCs being purchased.

The wrinkle will be later in the year, when Microsoft makes the 10 update "Recommended." Many users have their Windows Update set (as it came by default) to treat Recommended Updates the SAME as Important Updates, and automatically install them...

SHTF level event when that occurs. Going to be a lot of angry and confused PC owners then...

It is normal for a slow down of growth. The early adopters have hit, and now it will be the rate of new PCs being purchased.

Exactly. However that shouldn't have been the case for the month of December. It should have picked up a bit over November driven largely by new device sales. GS Stat Counter and the Steam Survey did follow this pattern.

Again, these are just guesstimates and to take them as absolute reality isn't their intended purpose. You look at them over time to see overall patterns and trends.

The wrinkle will be later in the year, when Microsoft makes the 10 update "Recommended." Many users have their Windows Update set (as it came by default) to treat Recommended Updates the SAME as Important Updates, and automatically install them...

SHTF level event when that occurs. Going to be a lot of angry and confused PC owners then...

Even then Microsoft has stated that the upgrade will need user interaction to proceed.

Exactly. However that shouldn't have been the case for the month of December. It should have picked up a bit over November driven largely by new device sales. GS Stat Counter and the Steam Survey did follow this pattern.

Again, these are just guesstimates and to take them as absolute reality isn't their intended purpose. You look at them over time to see overall patterns and trends.

Even then Microsoft has stated that the upgrade will need user interaction to proceed.

Problem is, most computer users are not knowledgeable enough about the OS to understand that they do not have to upgrade, ever. They get frustrated, and then get angry when this is, in their opinion, "foisted" upon them. They have a fear/hate relationship with their PC as it is. This action by Microsoft makes it worse...

Problem is, most computer users are not knowledgeable enough about the OS to understand that they do not have to upgrade, ever. They get frustrated, and then get angry when this is, in their opinion, "foisted" upon them. They have a fear/hate relationship with their PC as it is. This action by Microsoft makes it worse...

But how does one honestly make this determination without trying it out? One could read about the pros and cons of Windows 10 all day long but without actual use there is no way to make an informed decision. And this upgrade can generally be rolled back if necessary.

Back