Desktop with 24GB DDR3 (6 * 4GB) - Coming in 2009

Looking forward to seeing these kits emerge.

Kingston said that 24GB memory kits will be available late in 2009. The company did not reveal the price of the kit, but said that the set of modules based on engineering samples cost around $2000 to manufacture.
That's the cost of a great system, alone, though.

$2000, + markup of Kingston, = available for regular users to purchase in 2011.

I love seeing technology advance of course. But, 99.99% of the planet's computing population is not comprised of enthusiasts. And, only a microscopic portion of those users and workstation users could ever make use of a full 6GB of memory, much less 12GB. 24 is cool but it's like having a Top Fuel dragster for the public road.

But then, computer stuff is like horsepower; you simply cannot have TOO MUCH :cool:

As part of that microsopic few (currently with 8GB of RAM and 7.2 in use, 3D rendering ftw!!!) I wish I could afford a 4x4GB kit to push this machine to its max right now. Would be nice, that's for damned sure... :)

As part of that microsopic few (currently with 8GB of RAM and 7.2 in use, 3D rendering ftw!!!) I wish I could afford a 4x4GB kit to push this machine to its max right now. Would be nice, that's for damned sure... :)
Very cool! What 3D software are you running?

Hopefully the price will be driven down quickly by competitors and mass production.

Ironic that Joe Average is part of the microscopic few :)

I sure could use more than 8 GB... sure I can't get RAM usage above 5 GB usually, but I do have the application for a 4+ GB RAM drive.

Bleh... ironic... yeah, I get it. :D

I primarily use Maya nowadays, but I have 3DStudio Max as a backup. Blender also but it's just not quite up to where it could be - but then again it's open source and simply doesn't have the resources of Autodesk behind 'em.

I love seeing technology advance of course. But, 99.99% of the planet's computing population is not comprised of enthusiasts. And, only a microscopic portion of those users and workstation users could ever make use of a full 6GB of memory, much less 12GB. 24 is cool but it's like having a Top Fuel dragster for the public road.

But then, computer stuff is like horsepower; you simply cannot have TOO MUCH :cool:

I absolutely love having the 12 gig of RAM in my i7 920 system for VMs! Gone are the days when I mock up a group of systems and only have 512 megs of RAM to assign to a machine. Oh so liberating!

I've got 8 gigs but most of it goes unused most of the time (unless you count superfetch). I did hit 4.5 gigs while stitching ten 10-megapixel raw images together the other night. Aside from VMs and RAMdrives that's the most RAM I've ever legitimately used at one time.

I wasn't aware there were even any consumer/desktop chipsets available that supported more than 16 gigs of anything.

Ironic that Joe Average is part of the microscopic few :)

I sure could use more than 8 GB... sure I can't get RAM usage above 5 GB usually, but I do have the application for a 4+ GB RAM drive.

I didn't know I was also part of the microscopic few! lol :p

But having 8GB while playing GTA4 does help immensely.

What memory is Dell using to get 24GB of ram in that Studio XPS 435? Can anyone just buy it and slap it in their own system if they have the approrpiate mobo?:confused:

You have to remember that engineering samples are far more expensive than the final product. It costs a lot to do small, pre production runs for testing. So while the memory will be pricey no doubt, it won't be as expensive as the engineering samples.

Back