Desktop SATA to laptop connector or ESATA to laptop?

Strmtrper6

Limp Gawd
Anyone know if there is any way to hook up normal desktop hard drives to a laptop? I bought that Everex from the deal a while ago and wanted to run a cable from the second hard drive bay to a desktop drive using either sata or esata.

I just need to find a cable that would plug into the data part of an SATA laptop connection, which is male, like the end of a normal SATA cable. The power is supplied from the external enclosure.

Alot of sites make it a pain since they don't seem to know the difference between male and female connections.

Example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119052

Definately not female to female as it says.

Thanks for the help, and sorry if this would have been better suited for the mobile computing forum.

*edited for typos*

Way too much of a performance drop with USB. Plus I don't think SMART works with usb either. I found an extension cable that is male to female. My only hope might be to have one coming out the side of the laptop and then have another coming out of the desktop hard drive through a dremeled hole in the 3.5 enclosure. Then just connect the 2 cables when I need to use it. Too bad durability of normal SATA cables is so poor, since I would be disconnecting/reconnecting at least twice a day.

I am still amazed there doesn't seem to be any female to female or female to esata female cables.

Good call. My laptop uses expresscard and I hate to give up my only slot, but seems I've run out of choices. Still amazes me it is this hard to find a simple gender changer or female to female cable.

I just need to find a cable that would plug into the data part of an SATA laptop connection, which is male, like the end of a normal SATA cable. The power is supplied from the external enclosure.

Like this, perhaps?

I think I love you.
Thanks a ton.

I'll just carve out a hole in my external enclosure and hook it right to the hard drive instead of using the eSATA connection.

you could always go from that cable to an esata adapter bracket, and just take of the metal expansion slot. Then, from there you could just use an esata cable (roundabout, yes, but no cutting involved)

Those brackets are all male connectors though. =/

That was my original plan.

laptop > female to female cable > male to eSATA female bracket > normal eSATA cable > external enclosure

Going to either get that male to female and just drill a hole in my enclosure right to the hard drive, or risk seeing if I can rip it to pieces small enough for the laptop drive bay.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812203032

Either way thanks for everyone's help. Either one will be sloppy but that's what I get for such a retarded idea.

Back