Desktop Problem

Karant

Gawd
Ok, this is a peculiar problem that I've never came across before, but here it goes.

It started after I installed "System Mechanic 5," at the end of the installation I chose for it to make a shortcut on the desktop. But oddly enough, it created 3 of them. So I tried deleting the icons and I could only of deleted one! So I kept on trying to delete the other three and I got this error:
akaka2cu.jpg

So I left the icons there only waiting for something to happen, and sure enough, they eventually dissappeared. Now just a few minutes ago I installed the new Firefox (1.0.5). And again, I got three desktop shortcuts. I tried to delete them but only one went away and I got the same error when trying to delete the other two. But they eventually went away after a few minutes of activity.

Now only a few minutes ago my sister was on the computer and telling me she was getting this error. The same error I was getting, only she was getting it when trying to create a shortcut for her MSN Messenger.

So please, whats the problem and how can I fix this.

Have you tried rebooting?

I had the exact same problem when I updated Firefox one time. I think it was when I went from .9 to 1.0. The icon disappeared and all was right in the world again. The problem didn't come back.

Karant said:
Ok, this is a peculiar problem that I've never came across before, but here it goes.

It started after I installed "System Mechanic 5," at the end of the installation I chose for it to make a shortcut on the desktop. But oddly enough, it created 3 of them. So I tried deleting the icons and I could only of deleted one! So I kept on trying to delete the other three and I got this error:
akaka2cu.jpg

So I left the icons there only waiting for something to happen, and sure enough, they eventually dissappeared. Now just a few minutes ago I installed the new Firefox (1.0.5). And again, I got three desktop shortcuts. I tried to delete them but only one went away and I got the same error when trying to delete the other two. But they eventually went away after a few minutes of activity.

Now only a few minutes ago my sister was on the computer and telling me she was getting this error. The same error I was getting, only she was getting it when trying to create a shortcut for her MSN Messenger.

So please, whats the problem and how can I fix this.
uninstall sys 5 and see if you still have the prob. then you will know if thats the prob.

what is happening is that its duplicating icons but none of them are active which is why u r getting the error and deleting one will make them all go away.

try the uninstall first and post ya results.

what about trying to boot into safe mode and delete.. I doubt it'll work but its an easy thing to try

I've tried rebooting, and I've been having no other problems with the programs. But the shortcut problem is still occuring. Anyother suggestions?

And what is this about scandisk? What is "scandisk"?

Karant said:
And what is this about scandisk? What is "scandisk"?

Ouch that just makes my head hurt....

Clean up your hard disk drive with ScanDisk
Through normal use of your computer, your hard disk drive can become cluttered and a bit messy. And folders can become cross-linked, file names can contain invalid or unknown characters or become damaged, and file names can become disassociated with their files. ScanDisk can fix these and other problems for you.

My Computer, right-click the drive (C) , Properties, Tools, Check Now..., Select Options, Start.

Edit: Damn my slow typing and having to work ...<shakes fist at Phoenix86> ;)

Heh, scandisk was one of the first system tools I learned in dos.

older and wiser my ass. ;)

link > typing. :p

Scandisk? I'd try Check Disk myself. I don't think Scandisk runs under XP. Chkdsk does though. :p

/being an ass.

S1nF1xx said:
Scandisk? I'd try Check Disk myself. I don't think Scandisk runs under XP. Chkdsk does though. :p

/being an ass.
So I'm old, and dated, and nearly wrong. :eek:

...but I posted a good link. ;)

Thanks, haven't checked out the results, but good to know.

I knew about this tool, just didn't know it by the name. Thanks.

Back in my day we got in there with a magnifying glass, a refrigerator magnet, and fixed the thing ourselves.

Direwolf20 said:
Back in my day we got in there with a magnifying glass, a refrigerator magnet, and fixed the thing ourselves.

LMFAO That's hilarious! :D

Back