Desktop Icons Not Showing Up!

ShockTech

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

my desktop icons arnt showing up. I hit the Show Desktop Icons to turn them off before, and now i cant turn them back on. I right click then hit Arrange Icons By then the options are all grayed. I ran a virus scan, nothing came up. I restarted, nothing came up.

What can i do?

This has happened many a time to me. Usually its a sign to me of the OS failing or my HD's.

Most of the time New Task -- Explorer Works.

Wait a while. When you do C/A/Del does the taskmanager take a while to show up? If so then its some program/process that is sucking up all your Mem at that point and explorer is not able to load until "it" finished loading itself. I would just be patient. And then do Taskmanager again a little while after windows loads. Close down all un-needed processes as well as the explorer task and restart the task. If that doesn't work, then...shut down, wait a long time and pray that it works next time.

Also try loading into Safe Mode explorer boots up there, then "something" is happening the normal boot. It might be a sign of some bad Progs or hardware.

Hmm, i just searched a little more online and found a program (Iconoid 3) that will force the icons to appear.

All set now. :)

ShockTech said:
Hmm, i just searched a little more online and found a program (Iconoid 3) that will force the icons to appear.

All set now. :)

I don't think that would be a good thing..well its good. But it might mean you will run into bigger problems in the future. You should still find out what caused the problem in the first place.

I agree with abudhu. Explorer troubles are never a good sign.

phas3d

yeah so i start back up today and noticed they are gone again....what can i do to find out the problem?

abudhu said:
This has happened many a time to me. Usually its a sign to me of the OS failing or my HD's.

Most of the time New Task -- Explorer Works.

Wait a while. When you do C/A/Del does the taskmanager take a while to show up? If so then its some program/process that is sucking up all your Mem at that point and explorer is not able to load until "it" finished loading itself. I would just be patient. And then do Taskmanager again a little while after windows loads. Close down all un-needed processes as well as the explorer task and restart the task. If that doesn't work, then...shut down, wait a long time and pray that it works next time.

Also try loading into Safe Mode explorer boots up there, then "something" is happening the normal boot. It might be a sign of some bad Progs or hardware.

Try what I already said ^^ :p

Interesting...

And the icons are still not showing up eh? Thats a new one to me. Try a defrag? Clean up some un-need items.

Strange indeed...I'll think of some more things to try,

Back