Designing a good case...

SpeedSlayer

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey yall...

Alright, I am new to this forum. However, I have always been interested in HTPCs even before they had this forum here.

Anyways, onto what I want to do. I have a cheap access to tinted plexiglass. The reason behind this is because my dad manufactures sunroofs for vettes and del sols. Anyway, the material he uses is 1/4" and can be coated or uncoated. Uncoated and coated is the same thing the glasses are referred to. I also can mold plastic because we have the proper oven for it.

Here is what I want to do: design and create a case that is the according to you guys the perfect case.

When I finish it, I will figure out the amount of hours it would take to remake it, the costs of materials, and hopefullly sell a few.

Basically a summary of what this thread is for: What you people want in a case, my progress in making the prototype and eventually how much I would charge for it.

just a start...

Full ATX
standard ATX PSU
2 - hidden external 5.25 bays
1 - hidden external 3.5
2 - internal 3.5
front usb, firewire, headphones, LCD/VFD display, intregrated IR reciever

yes, top vents are very good. I like a CPU duct too. and make the intake/exhaust fans a regular size, like 60mm at least. also, make the mobo standoffs kind of high so cables can be routed undert he motherboard.

possibly cool the whole thing with one 120mm fan. Maybe at the top with some sort of fancy vent dealy.

that would make for a nice quiet case.

and maybe you could somehow make cable raceways to keep everything neat.

Screw 60mm exhaust. Those things are next to worthless and just add more noise, if Arisetec can make the Accent HT-400 with an 80mm exhaust fan while still keeping the A/V look then I'm sure anyone can do it.

No 60mm exhaust fans, use 80mm.

Thats probably my biggest gripe with current HTPC cases.

no my biggest is the stupid 45mm or whateevr that crap is. I prefer 80mm as well. cheaper to replace, more replacement choices, and moves more air.

They have cases that still use fans lower then 60mm? :eek: That is not something I want to think about. LOL

Thanks for all the input so far.

I have been doing plenty of research of the past few days, I started before the I posted.

I have one main question...

How much would you pay for a case that featured basically everything stated in this thread?

The reason I ask is, because I need to figure out what the average is, and try to keep it under thus I know what I have to work with.

That depends on the cost of materials and cost of time.

So far its going to cost me like around $60 for the materials to build a 17x11x4 case out of 6061 Aluminum and thats if I do it in quantities of 10.

As a rule, I don't pay more than $100 for a case with no PSU. I tend to spend around $150 for case + PSU. of course, rules are made to be broken. Established HTPC companies sell HTPC specific cases in the $150-200 range. However, it would take a damn good case to pry me away from coolermasters right now. Price/performance is good.

crim, PM sent about fabricated case...

If it's as slick looking as some of the Ahanix cases I would pay what those go for. $250 to $300 if I remember correctly.

everyone will have a wide range of opinions on this though.

Are you seriously looking at making these professionally and selling them?

Alright, If i sent just a barebone case then I truly doubt I will cross $60 per case. I mean like I stated orignally, my dad gets plexiglass at some of the cheapest prices available since he has been with this company for over 5 years (dont know exact length).

I mean probably the next few days, since i just had knee surgery and I cant move, I will design the case. The case will be in blue tinted plexiglass.

Part of the design I wanted is to have 4 columns about 3" longer then the case, that are half hexagons columsn. Thus the case would sit 1.5" off the ground adding for a possible exhaust on the bottom of the case..

Anyways, Im on AIM if anyone wants to chat with me about this project (PolishNorbi)

I wouldn't do colors in an HTPC personally. maybe a black dark tinted wold give a cool effect, especailly with some lights behind.

There was a guy over at the AVSForums that did some custom fab work for an HTPC case, really nice too. The way he got around the price issue was to buy a desktop style case and mod up a new front bezel for it, I believe the case was a discontinued Antec/Chemnig case. I know that Inwin (I think it was them) made one similar to it as well. At the time I believe he charged $65 for the bare case and HTPC "touch ups" and $25 for just the bezel.

Hey cool, I found one like it! Anyone thats been here a while know that I oftern suggest this case for it's great modding potential. If your going to try something like this then I'd suggest going with an already build case and mod it, something I've wanted to do for a while now. If you do do something like this I'd buy one. :)

hmm, so buy a case and have a custom aluminum face built for it. I like the idea. might have to explore that a little.

2 things: No sense in me buying a $40 case, just for the frame...

Second, the plexiglass I have is dark on the outside, if you look from inside it gives you a blue tint

SpeedSlayer said:
2 things: No sense in me buying a $40 case, just for the frame...

Second, the plexiglass I have is dark on the outside, if you look from inside it gives you a blue tint

that would look cool with some interior lighting, LED's or tubes or something.

Back