Designers Come Out For Apple In Patent Fight With Samsung

HardOCP News

[H] News
Can someone explain to me why the Supreme Court of the United States cares what the hell Calvin Klein thinks about this case? I seriously can't wait until this case is over so we can finally move on to the next "you stole my rectangle with rounded corners idea" lawsuit.

Setting up a clash with a number of Silicon Valley companies that have come out on the side of Samsung, more than 100 designers and educators signed on to a new court brief supporting Apple. They include famous fashion names Calvin Klein, Paul Smith and Alexander Wang, the industrial design director at Parsons School of Design, the design director for Bentley Motors, and Tony Chambers, the editor-in-chief of Wallpaper magazine.

This is a lawyers wet dream. Just keep dragging it out, all them billable hours!!!!

The designers on Thursday said that in the minds of consumers, the "look of the product comes to represent the underlying features, functions, and total user experience."

This is exactly what is wrong with people today (or an era for that matter). A red car does NOT go faster.

Well shit...
M18256989.JPG

Can someone explain to me why the Supreme Court of the United States cares what the hell Calvin Klein thinks about this case? I seriously can't wait until this case is over so we can finally move on to the next "you stole my rectangle with rounded corners idea" lawsuit.

Setting up a clash with a number of Silicon Valley companies that have come out on the side of Samsung, more than 100 designers and educators signed on to a new court brief supporting Apple. They include famous fashion names Calvin Klein, Paul Smith and Alexander Wang, the industrial design director at Parsons School of Design, the design director for Bentley Motors, and Tony Chambers, the editor-in-chief of Wallpaper magazine.

If they made these lawsuits bench only it would be over pretty soon ;) .

This is pointless bullshit. Apple had a great product when the original iPhone was released. I would still argue their phones are good - although Apple is dragging its feet on the hardware and software prices.
Now they are suing over rounded corners? As the person who posted the bar of soap, rounded corners are not an old concept. How can you patent that? (Yeah, I know there are arguments to my comments - but common sense should be able to prevail at some point. Doesn't our legal system have more pressing matters?)

I have to say jeans and Tshirts all look very similar. I don't think different stitching on the back pockets is quite enough...

right or wrong, I can understand why designer would be asked. Yet, if designers are being asked was prior art considered. I used to have an etch a sketch. That was design patent for a rectangle.... Apple designed stuff that looked unique those funny imacs with the weird shape... also if they heard it doesn't that mean they have to actually focus on how it impacts rule of law? Meaning the entire patent process... new unique never before published in any nonfiction or fiction. We have a first to file system now, but if the patent office is responsible to no one, and can grant patents to anyone an ignore their mandate then does that not mean they have to look into the patent office's abuse of power, to grant a monopoly based rounded corners... so no one has ever beveled their sharp cornered object? Isn't the whole point of having the entire justice system working for you is to look into cases that come up where instead of furthering the agenda of the USA's Constitution they simply further a private agenda in conflict with the nation's best interests? With having been there do we even know what they actually said or are we just hearing that they felt that design patents further innovation, because if someone can copy your designs their in no profit in new designs?

Friend of the court briefs....they aren't usually taken with any weight unless the person is called upon as a professional witness under oath. They do serve a purpose where the judge may not have a particular 3rd party's insight into the issue. For example I filed a "friend of the Borough and City Council" brief about the dangers of normalizing marijuana. I also presented them with the scientific research studies backing the opinion for their research.

This is so ridiculous. It's a flat touch screen candybar-type phone. There are only so many different ways you can make it look. (And no, Apple was not the first to design a candy-bar shaped phone)

The important part is the underlying technology, not the appearance of the damned thing.

If Apple prevails in this, it will be one more step in the continuing victory of form over substance in our terrible bling culture.

"designers and educators"

And I'm sure every one of them uses an iPhone. No bias there......

"designers and educators"

And I'm sure every one of them uses an iPhone. No bias there......

I feel like there is an opportunity for an Onion-like headline here...

"Representatives of Shallow Substance-Free Industries Come Out in Support of Shallow Substance-Free Legal Decision on Behalf of Shallow Substance-Free Company" :p

Last edited:
The folks who make their livlihood designing things are submitting amicus briefs on the side of the company defending the inherent monetary value of design.

Because of course they are. It's how they make fucking money. Why is this even a question.

Really.. a magazine about Wallpaper?

There's a winner.

Ok, just looked at the site. Looks like they are a magazine about overpriced / look what I can do living space designs, art, architecture, etc.

I get this magazine for free -- and it is exactly how you described it. They are selling the fantasy of dreams/ideas, just like American Vogue does under Anna Wintour. Not my cup of tea, but there seems to be a large fanbase (rich hipsters?).

I get this magazine for free -- and it is exactly how you described it. They are selling the fantasy of dreams/ideas, just like American Vogue does under Anna Wintour. Not my cup of tea, but there seems to be a large fanbase (rich hipsters?).

Must be the people the same ridiculous people who shop at Pier One Imports or from the Williams-Sonoma catalog.

I could come into a trillion bucks tomorrow, and I still wouldn't waste my time or effort or a penny on that type of cosmetic life style junk.

Back