Deshrouding a EVGA XC3 3080 - Advice Please

kill8r

Limp Gawd
I just sniped one of these and its being delivered tomorrow :)
EVGAXC3285.37111.152.2-slotYesConfirmed by user

I would love to go for a deshroud but it looks like a deshroud will be difficult. Any ideas?

Please note this is not my case, I just found a deshroud attempt on this card. I am using the Ncase M1.

Thank you all and to @paulesko and @MrTorgue for being so helpful

I just sniped one of these and its being delivered tomorrow :)
EVGAXC3285.37111.152.2-slotYesConfirmed by user

I would love to go for a deshroud but it looks like a deshroud will be difficult. Any ideas?

Please note this is not my case, I just found a deshroud attempt on this card. I am using the Ncase M1.

Thank you all and to @paulesko and @MrTorgue for being so helpful

I deshrouded an RTX 2060 and found similar mounting tabs and whatnot sticking out. You should borrow a dremel so that you can cleanly cut them off, flush with the surface of the heatsink.

I deshrouded an RTX 2060 and found similar mounting tabs and whatnot sticking out. You should borrow a dremel so that you can cleanly cut them off, flush with the surface of the heatsink.
I am pretty sure he doesn't want to go the destructive route. He would be throwing out his warranty doing so.

I am pretty sure he doesn't want to go the destructive route. He would be throwing out his warranty doing so.
well unfortunately, with many heatsinks now soldering mounting tabs for the shrouds and fans----to the heatsinks: you basically have to do some "destructive" modding, to get your alternative fans to lay flush against the heatsink.

However, I wouldn't really worry about it, if you have a nice card with two or three fans built-in. I modded my RTX 2060, because it only had one fan. But room enough on the heatsink for two 90mm fans. Although I eventually found that a single 140mm cooled it just as well, but with less noise.

I also put liquid metal on my RTX 2060

Any idea what the failure rate is on gpus these days? I am tempted to take the risk and take a dremel to it

Zipties can work nicely it seems. This isnt a 3080 but addresses hiw to ensure no gap between fans and the radiator.

I just have to decide on exhaust vs intake for them.
Screenshot_20201114-133811_Video Player.jpg

Ok I have taken off all the screws and therefore are 4 connections on the GPU (1 for each fan and 1 attached to the case).

1) Will disconnecting all of these cause a problem?

2) Am I better attaching the 2 Noctua fans to the gpu or motherboard?

20201120_171355.jpg
20201120_171419.jpg
20201120_170616.jpg

Ok I have taken off all the screws and therefore are 4 connections on the GPU (1 for each fan and 1 attached to the case).

1) Will disconnecting all of these cause a problem?

2) Am I better attaching the 2 Noctua fans to the gpu or motherboard?

View attachment 301174View attachment 301175View attachment 301177
You will need to use a dremel to cleanly cut those mounting tabs off.

connecting fans to GPU or Motherboard is up to you. If you connected to GPU, they will need to be PWM fans or you will have no speed control. Additionally, the voltage of the stock fans is likely lower than your case fans. So....you may not get full speed on the case fans, if you connect them to the GPU. But this may not matter, if the case fans are an improvement even at lower speed than their max potential.

As I said before, this mod may not be worth it on a triple fan card.

6900xt looks crazy!

6800xt nov 18
6900xt dec 8th

AMD didn't talk about any feature comparison to Nvidia Freestyle which is literally required to play Warzone. It's nice they offer superior frames but if I can't see people I can't shoot them!

Frames win games but only if you can actually see what you're shooting at! AMD NEEDS to make a comparable feature to Nvidia freestyle! I can't play warzone without it!

Dang, they brought us a console-like exclusive memory access, between CPU and GPU. That's so cool!

I expect those sorts of synergistic hardware features to be even better, with their next motherboard platform.

Right. Let's buy a $1,500+ video card and ghetto rig some fans on it with zip ties. Is there something I'm missing here?

If you paid $1500+ for a 3080 XC3 I definitely think you are missing something. :p

But I agree, don't understand the point of this.

What was wrong with the original fans?

I was thinking it was an RTX 3090. Even so, I wouldn't do it on a 3080 either.
The primary reason for the mod is noise reduction. The Noctua NF-A12x25s PWM fans are almost silent and I want this rig to be super quiet.

You will need to use a dremel to cleanly cut those mounting tabs off.

connecting fans to GPU or Motherboard is up to you. If you connected to GPU, they will need to be PWM fans or you will have no speed control. Additionally, the voltage of the stock fans is likely lower than your case fans. So....you may not get full speed on the case fans, if you connect them to the GPU. But this may not matter, if the case fans are an improvement even at lower speed than their max potential.

As I said before, this mod may not be worth it on a triple fan card.
Ok so there isn't an risk as far as the card throwing up errors etc?

Do you need feel there will be a significant noise reduction with this mod?

I will attach to the motherboard to allow for better fans control as you suggested.

Ok so there isn't an risk as far as the card throwing up errors etc?

Do you need feel there will be a significant noise reduction with this mod?

I will attach to the motherboard to allow for better fans control as you suggested.
I don't know about noise reduction for that specific card, because I don't own it ;)

My RTX 2060 had one fan on it. But the heatsink is large enough for 2.

It is also an EVGA. Appears to be the same model fan. By itself, it was really noisey. But I dunno about 3.

As far as I know, most GPU's do not have a warning or a shudown mode, if they don't detect a fan speed. Its usually all based on temps. As long as your temps are ok, the card won't complain. Usually. Again, I don't have that specific model.

I had the 3090XC3 and for the time that I owned it (1 month of gaming) I don't recall the fans ever spinning up beyond 62% which was the threshold for me to hear the fan noise over the other fans in my pc. Other than the fact it ran 79C in gaming, it was a good card. The FTW3 in there now pulls some ridiculous power now and runs in the low 70s with practically the same fps. If I could flip the FTW3 for cost and find a XC3 to replace it, I would.

Yeah man, take that hideous shroud off, slap a couple of Noctua 120-140MM fans on it. It will cool way better.

Right. Let's buy a $1,500+ video card and ghetto rig some fans on it with zip ties. Is there something I'm missing here?
Yes, Maximum air cooling! Strapping two Noctua fans to it will cool the card way better than the stock ones, and it'll be quieter.

Remember, if women don't find you handsome, they'll atleast find you handy :D

Last edited:
That's a harder argument to make since LN2 cooling isn't suited to 24/7 operation.
I remember a time on this forum, where ideas were nurtured. We should get back to that.

There's nothing wrong with putting better more efficient fans on your graphics card.

I'll all for modding and improvement. This seems not only ghetto, but unnecessary.

Well yeah, its a little ghetto sure, but if it works, which it will better than the stock fans then whats the issue? Water cooling is unnecessary also but we do it.

Well yeah, its a little ghetto sure, but if it works, which it will better than the stock fans then whats the issue? Water cooling is unnecessary also but we do it.
Better fans will work a little better, but you can only achieve so much on air cooling. I don't think you'll get any improvement over a three fan cooler. All you might get over the stock fans is a bit quieter operation. Water cooling would net you both while looking a lot better.

Better fans will work a little better, but you can only achieve so much on air cooling. All you might get over the stock fans is a bit quieter operation. Water cooling would net you both while looking a lot better.
Did you watch the video? On that 1070, at max load it was below 60c. That's pretty good. If these 30xx series are more efficient we could expect similar or better results.

OP , show us some Temps!

Also, OP I would recommend these
https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-A1...ywords=Noctua+120mm+fan&qid=1605909180&sr=8-3

Better for pressure. I have a couple on my NH-D15 CPU Cooler, they work very well and are near silent. They also come with rubber shrouds to make a air tight fit around the heatsink, I don't use them though.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ok booted her up for the first time and no video signal. All fans working, Rob on motherboard and gpu working. No beeps and stays on. My keyboard also isn't lighting up.

1) If I have a Ryzen 5950x in a x570-i motherboard do I need a newer bios installed for it to show a video signal?

2) Any other ideas?

I have tried the hdmi out of the gpu and hdmi out of the motherboard. When I connect it to my TV or monitor it turns on detecting some type of signal it seems.but then they both say no signal.

Thanks for the help

Ok booted her up for the first time and no video signal. All fans working, Rob on motherboard and gpu working. No beeps and stays on. My keyboard also isn't lighting up.

1) If I have a Ryzen 5950x in a x570-i motherboard do I need a newer bios installed for it to show a video signal?

2) Any other ideas?

I have tried the hdmi out of the gpu and hdmi out of the motherboard. When I connect it to my TV or monitor it turns on detecting some type of signal it seems.but then they both say no signal.

Thanks for the help
Yep, no beeps is good. Tells us that the components are secured. Sounds like it's the CPU not being recognized by the BIOS.

What Motherboard do you have? Is the Q-Flash feature available?

AMD says it needs "AMD AGESA BIOS numbered 1.0.8.0" or higher to support Zen 3 50xx chips.

Last edited:
Yep, no beeps is good. Tells us that the components are secured. Sounds like it's the CPU not being recognized by the BIOS.

What Motherboard do you have? Is the Q-Flash feature available?

AMD says it needs "AMD AGESA BIOS numbered 1.0.8.0" or higher to support Zen 3 50xx chips.
Strix X570-i motherboard

The light for DRAM is on and I have tried everything... one ram stick in each slot, refitting gpu, reconnecting all psu cables.
Screenshot_20201121-044423_Drive.jpg
20201121_043132.jpg

Thanks for the help!

If I do need to do a BIOS flash I have no.odea how to.do.it when I can't see the bios screen.

Strix X570-i motherboard

The light for DRAM is on and I have tried everything... one ram stick in each slot, refitting gpu, reconnecting all psu cables.View attachment 301483View attachment 301485

Thanks for the help!

If I do need to do a BIOS flash I have no.odea how to.do.it when I can't see the bios screen.
Have you tried clearing the CMOS?
Edit: some boards have a feature where they can flash the bios from a usb stick, even without a cpu or memory.

Strix X570-i motherboard

The light for DRAM is on and I have tried everything... one ram stick in each slot, refitting gpu, reconnecting all psu cables.View attachment 301483View attachment 301485

Thanks for the help!

You'll have to use an older AMD CPU to get it to boot into bios. The motherboard should have the revision number stamped on it. Check the number and then cross reference that with what BIOS it shipped with.

Also, not to be a picker, but that screw doesn't look like motherboard screw, it looks to me like a screw for a drive. Check and see if the motherboard isn't shorting out.

If that orange LED stays solid, it may be your RAM. Check the RAM compatibility with your motherboard.
List of compatible RAM
https://pangoly.com/en/review/asus-rog-strix-x570-i-gaming/compatibility/ram

The motherboard does a hardware check and the onboard LEDs will remain lit if a problem is found.
BOOT - Yelow green
VGA - White
CPU - Red
RAM - Yellow
Here is a list

Information on RAM compatibility
https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-x570-i-gaming-model/helpdesk_cpu/

I still think its the CPU though. These new AMD boards might not have shipped with the updated BIOS for the 5000 series chips.

Last thing to check is the Power Supply. Is the Power Supply coming from an older working system or is it new?

Last edited:
You'll have to use an older AMD CPU to get it to boot into bios. The motherboard should have the revision number stamped on it. Check the number and then cross reference that with what BIOS it shipped with.

Also, not to be a picker, but that screw doesn't look like motherboard screw, it looks to me like a screw for a drive. Check and see if the motherboard isn't shorting out.

If that orange LED stays solid, it may be your RAM. Check the RAM compatibility with your motherboard.
The motherboard does a hardware check and the onboard LEDs will remain lit if a problem is found.
BOOT - Yelow green
VGA - White
CPU - Red
RAM - Yellow
Here is a list

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-x570-i-gaming-model/helpdesk_cpu/
Thanks for the help. How would I know if it was showing out? The motherboard didn't come with any screws. Is there an example of what the screws should look like?

Found this stamp (last 4 digits are 2407)
20201121_050826.jpg

Thank you for the help! Much appreciated

Thanks for the help. How would I know if it was showing out? The motherboard didn't come with any screws. Is there an example of what the screws should look like?

Found this stamp:
View attachment 301488

Thank you for the help! Much appreciated
Motherboard screws look like this
31cPHczXbGL._AC_SX355_.jpg

Looks like thats a serial number, it may help

Last edited:

List of compatible RAM

BOOT - Yelow green
VGA - White
CPU - Red
RAM - Yellow
Here is a list

I still think its the CPU though. These new AMD boards might not have shipped with the updated BIOS for the 5000 series chips.

Last thing to check is the Power Supply. Is the Power Supply coming from an older working system or is it new?
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WGR3wz
This is my actual list of components and yes there are some warnings:
Screenshot_20201121-053611_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Back