Deshrouding a EVGA XC3 3080 - Advice Please

Krenum

Fully [H]
Typed your components into PCPartpicker, Got warnings
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/#compatibility_notes

"Warning!Some AMD X570 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vermeer CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions".

CPU Issue. Need to update the BIOS.

kill8r

Limp Gawd

"Warning!Some AMD X570 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vermeer CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions".

Thank you bud.

Why would this set off the RAM warning light and not the CPU light?

Krenum

Fully [H]
My Power supply is brand new Corsair Platinum 600 (750 was out of stock)

Whoa...That may be too low, with a 105w CPU and a 3080. I think a 550 or 600W PS is the minimum for that Graphics card.

About the RAM, I may have miss spoke, that's could be the CPU light, check your manual.

I would strongly suggest getting a 800W minimum power supply before going forward. If that doesn't work and you live near a Microcenter, I've heard they can loan you a CPU or give you one in store so that you can update your BIOS for your new CPU.

kill8r

Limp Gawd
Whoa...That may be too low, with a 105w CPU and a 3080. I think a 550 or 600W PS is the minimum for that Graphics card.

About the RAM, I may have miss spoke, that's could be the CPU light, check your manual.

I would strongly suggest getting a 800W minimum power supply before going forward. If that doesn't work and you live near a Microcenter, I've heard they can loan you a CPU or give you one in store so that you can update your BIOS for your new CPU.
I have confirmed the Power supply is sufficient.

Thanks for all the help

chameleoneel

2[H]4U
Make them both intake. Your rear and top fans in your case will handle the outflowing air.
Yeah intake/push is the way to go. Not only will the cool air be beneficial for the GPU over extended use: fans are louder when they exhaust/pull, with their back directly against a heatsink. Do some testing and you will see.

I recommend dual 140mm fans, if you can fit them. I've got a single 140mm on my rtx 2060 and it cools better than two 90mm or a 120mm + 90mm (heatsink isn't long enough for two 120mm). Its also quieter.
I also put liquid metal on there. But, I'm an advanced hardware user. So it didn't bother me. I wouldn't recommend liquid metal until you are more familiar and comfortable with PC building.

Yeah to get your bios updated, you can either try a local service. Geeksquad at Bestbuy might do it. Otherwise, AMD usually has a mail service where they send you a loaner cpu. Otherwise, you are probably looking at $50-$80 to buy a used ryzen on ebay or something.

**also, someone on the forum may be willing to setup a loaner through the mail. I would, but I don't have any ryzen stuff :(

Last edited:

kill8r

Limp Gawd
Yeah intake/push is the way to go. Not only will the cool air be beneficial for the GPU over extended use: fans are louder when they exhaust/pull, with their back directly against a heatsink. Do some testing and you will see.

I recommend dual 140mm fans, if you can fit them. I've got a single 140mm on my rtx 2060 and it cools better than two 90mm or a 120mm + 90mm (heatsink isn't long enough for two 120mm). Its also quieter.
I also put liquid metal on there. But, I'm an advanced hardware user. So it didn't bother me. I wouldn't recommend liquid metal until you are more familiar and comfortable with PC building.

Yeah to get your bios updated, you can either try a local service. Geeksquad at Bestbuy might do it. Otherwise, AMD usually has a mail service where they send you a loaner cpu. Otherwise, you are probably looking at $50-$80 to buy a used ryzen on ebay or something.

**also, someone on the forum may be willing to setup a loaner through the mail. I would, but I don't have any ryzen stuff :(
Thank you for all the help.

I am going intake on cpu and gpu.

Trying to source a cpu to update the bios now. I hope that's the issue at not a hardware fault.

kill8r

Limp Gawd
Does your local computer store have a service department? mine said if i can't update the bios myself when it all comes together they will for 30 bucks.
Unfortunately its full lockdown here in London

RazorWind

2[H]4U
I have confirmed the Power supply is sufficient.

Thanks for all the help
For a 3090? The hell it is...

Edit: Oh, it's a 3080. Maybe that's good enough. I'd go bigger, though. I have a power supply here that reliably kills graphics cards. No way I'd chance it on a card as difficult to replace as a 3080.

Last edited:

kill8r

Limp Gawd

Does your local computer store have a service department? mine said if i can't update the bios myself when it all comes together they will for 30 bucks.

IT WAS THE BIOS!!!!

All working fine now.

Now I get to start tweaking.

I also removed the fans on the gou but left the shroud as the shroud buts nicely against the Nocturn and functions like a duct. This also saves me from using the dremel.
20201121_001808.jpg
20201121_001023.jpg

20201121_190449.jpg

Thermals shortly.

Last edited:

chameleoneel

2[H]4U
IT WAS THE BIOS!!!!

All working fine now.

I also removed the fans on the gou but left the shroud as the shroud buts nicely against the Nocturn and functions like a duct. This also saves me from using the dremel.
View attachment 301599View attachment 301600
View attachment 301605
Thermals shortly.
The thermals may be fine like that. but they would definitely be better with the fans right up against the heatsink.

kill8r

Limp Gawd
The thermals may be fine like that. but they would definitely be better with the fans right up against the heatsink.
Yes but that would require taking a dremel to the heatsink which I prefer not to do. This was I can still sell the card on when the 3080ti or similar is released.

Krenum

Fully [H]
IT WAS THE BIOS!!!!

All working fine now.

View attachment 301599View attachment 301600
View attachment 301605
Thermals shortly.
Oh hell yeah!

Glad you got it all sorted out, Looks awesome man! Nice to see you went with those fans. They are great!

Let us know how the temps are.

kill8r

Limp Gawd
Any advice on the best applications for setting franchise profiles etc and monitoring temps etc?

I have my cpu fans on the cpu header and the gpu on the aio header on the strix 570-i

Last edited:

chameleoneel

2[H]4U
Any advice on the best applications for setting franchise profiles etc and monitoring temps etc?

I have my cpu fans on the cpu header and the gpu on the aio header on the strix 570-i
MSI afterburner and GPUZ are both good tools to monitor temps

kill8r

Limp Gawd
MSI afterburner and GPUZ are both good tools to monitor temps
I guess what has me confused is that I don't have my gpu fans connected to the cpu they are connected to the aio header on the motherboard. Therefore I don't know how to best set a profile for it.

Krenum

Fully [H]
I guess what has me confused is that I don't have my gpu fans connected to the cpu they are connected to the aio header on the motherboard. Therefore I don't know how to best set a profile for it.

I would just set it up in the BIOS. Fan speed according to temp.