Descent’s True Spiritual Successor, Overload, Is Now Available

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Being one of the first titles to treat players to fully 3D environments and enemies, 1994’s Descent represents one of the original pillars of PC gaming. Now, decades later, its developers have returned to evoke some nostalgia with Overload, a successor that builds upon the original with better-designed levels, easier navigation, and a weapon upgrade system.

If you’ve never played Descent, imagine Doom but without gravity. An old-school FPS, but you control a small one-man spaceship navigating massive underground mining facilities, fighting rogue robots, and Overload is more of that, right down to some coy nods to Descent’s story.

Oh no! I played a bit of Descent ... LOL. Quite a few people could not watch for long as I had attained the knowledge you needed to play Descent. If you cared about which way was up, you were doomed. I did not and was apparently hard to watch. I enjoyed that a great deal for some reason. ;)

Off to Steam.

Alright, it runs in my Slackware64 14.2 Lunix Disturbation. It runs very well indeed. Time to get my 6 degree chops back. This may take a while, I'm very old. ;)

Last edited:
Another ancient one I never played and the new one looks great.

I think I played co-op Descent via dial-up years ago... great game!

Finally we have a worthy addition to the Descent family!
I used to play Descent 1 and 2 over LAN with some friends as a kid, good times! :)

I was wondering when someone was going to create a Decent successor, and I got my answer.

Looks like fun. If i ever get some free time, i'll check it out.

Last edited:
Damn.. this was one of the games that introduced me into PC gaming, I never heard of it until I bought a machine for my parents an IBM Aptiva 2144 in 1995 and that game came included, (together with couple of other including Pitfall the Mayan Adventure and Hover!) man, I forgot how many hours I played until I was able to finish it all, even bought a joystick to be able to play better lol..

So many great memories of Decent. I will probably be picking this one up and hope it doesn't make me puke!

I have Descent 1 and 2 around here somewhere, and yup this is going to get purchased.. I'll wait till my main rig is back up and running ( procrastinating ).. Descent and Terminal Velocity are the 2 'flying' games that I remember from my youth. Along with a war game that I cannot remember the name of.

Eh, it's alright. Plus the VR scaling is way off...ships cockpit is like 2x larger than it should be, jarring.

Otherwise it's Descent but...not...? Who the fuck am I though?

So many great memories of Decent. I will probably be picking this one up and hope it doesn't make me puke!

I loved the original, but yea, after about an hour or two playing without a break either you got motion sickness or when you stopped and tried to stand up it felt like the room was spinning and bobbing all over the place :)

Eh look, explosions and now chock full of even more explosions!

The POV of the attacker he just keeps in whatever horizontal plane his ship is in; this is the problem with descent and the controls that we have on hand to play it with.

I remember buying Forsaken bundled with a Space Orb 360 and finally realizing my potential in Descent / Forsaken. Prior to that I was using an Assassin 3D in Descent (which was far better than mouse and keyboard).

My god, Pentium 90 and Voodoo 1 with Forsaken. We have come far in graphics and frame rate but alas not much has really changed; evolutionary not revolutionary.

Oh god I loved the "CD" verson of Decent music. That was soo good. Its right up there with Warhawk. The MIDI version was horrible.

The POV of the attacker he just keeps in whatever horizontal plane his ship is in; this is the problem with descent and the controls that we have on hand to play it with.

I remember buying Forsaken bundled with a Space Orb 360 and finally realizing my potential in Descent / Forsaken. Prior to that I was using an Assassin 3D in Descent (which was far better than mouse and keyboard).

My god, Pentium 90 and Voodoo 1 with Forsaken. We have come far in graphics and frame rate but alas not much has really changed; evolutionary not revolutionary.

I was also going to bring up Forsaken. That was the shiz-nit on my Voodoo card back in 1998

This looks way better than the Kickstarter I backed three years ago- Descent: Underground.
Seriously. That one started off looking super promising, and just kinda... languished. I still have had quite a lot of fun with it - more than got my money out of it. Overload might scratch the itch more though :D

Original descent changed my life.
Looks great and definitely getting this.

Remember, single player is dead.

I'll be buying it. I used to have lan parties at my house (was single then) with 4 other engineers from work. Was always fun.

Not to toot my own horn, but i was the best Descent player ever.
So I'll get this and own it as well

:D

ahh yes forsaken .. was one of my favorite games with my voodoo 3 ..why wont they remake that game
??/ it looked way better than descent !
..played it with a KB + gamepad ..think it worked out of the box with my old nostromo N50 speedpad ..ahh i miss those days ..gotta dig out and fire up my old voodoo 3 PC and see if it still even boots one of these days
i know i still have the game box and cd for for descent and FORSAKEN

Oh shucks, with all this reminiscing in this thread, imma pull out my old Canopus Spectra 2500 + Pure3D II and party like it's the 90s again.
Hell, will see if my OG Pure3D still works.

I've only played the first mission (clip), (reactor clip) after the tutorial and one multiplayer match (clip), so far. It's an evolution of Descent, not a remake. Multiplayer doesn't have the precision of Descent 3, but it's intense and tons of fun.

As was previously stated I would absolutely love another Freespace game... I liked descent well enough but freespace was quite possibly my all time favorite game

Obligatory reference to the FreeSpace Project, the home of the open source engine remake of FreeSpace 2. You can also get (dramatically) updated graphics packs from there, the original FreeSpace missions and music (also with dramatically upgraded graphics) and several mods and Total Conversions.

ahh yes forsaken .. was one of my favorite games with my voodoo 3 ..why wont they remake that game
??/ it looked way better than descent !
..played it with a KB + gamepad ..think it worked out of the box with my old nostromo N50 speedpad ..ahh i miss those days ..gotta dig out and fire up my old voodoo 3 PC and see if it still even boots one of these days
i know i still have the game box and cd for for descent and FORSAKEN

Can you believe the Nostromo is still around! I’ve had an N50, N52, N52te (2 of them) and now a Razer Tartarus. Addictive little things!

Just in case it wasn't immediately clear, the first half of that video is software-rendered. The Voodoo stuff is silky smooth. Textures are still shitty, though.

Obligatory reference to the FreeSpace Project, the home of the open source engine remake of FreeSpace 2. You can also get (dramatically) updated graphics packs from there, the original FreeSpace missions and music (also with dramatically upgraded graphics) and several mods and Total Conversions.

I actually downloaded and installed that not too long ago. It looks pretty good for what it is! Made me definitely wish for another full fledged FS game though

Back