Der8auer Delids 9900k and Investigates TIM

Yeah, no thanks. Exposing the die on my GPU and cleaning it (VERY carefully) with an alcohol soaked Qtip to install a waterblock is about as [H]ard as I get. Delidding I may have considered, if my chip of choice needed it (Ryzen 2700x, it doesnt), but I will be damned if I am going to take sandpaper to a CPU die to try and fix something Intel should have fixed in the factory! Besides, in another 6 months or so, you will have chips that soundly beat Intel's best, even with extreme idiocy like this.
Yeah, I absolutely wouldn't do that myself, unless it got me significant (500mhz+) gains over not doing it. I was just reporting back what I saw in the video, for those who didn't watch it. If silicon lottery did this for a modest fee to get significant gains, yeah I'd be interested in paying them to do it.

Yeah, I absolutely wouldn't do that myself, unless it got me significant (500mhz+) gains over not doing it. I was just reporting back what I saw in the video, for those who didn't watch it. If silicon lottery did this for a modest fee to get significant gains, yeah I'd be interested in paying them to do it.

I am gonna nope all over that idea...pre-sanded or not, I would pay for PROPERLY ENGINEERED technology, nothing less. If a 3rd party or end user has to de-lid and sand the cpu to get the performance it SHOULD HAVE OUT OF THE BOX, they are doing it wrong!

I am gonna nope all over that idea...pre-sanded or not, I would pay for PROPERLY ENGINEERED technology, nothing less. If a 3rd party or end user has to de-lid and sand the cpu to get the performance it SHOULD HAVE OUT OF THE BOX, they are doing it wrong!
True, but if the reality is you have to wait years for the 'proper' way, or it simply never actually happens. Intel isn't interested in properly engineered, they are interested in maximum profit.

But hey, this is [H]. If maximum performance was available out of the box, there'd be no point to half of what we do!

LOL, so now de-lidding isnt even enough? You have to SAND your CPU to get the performance you should get OUT OF THE BOX??? Wow....there are no words...

Technically here are. they just won't pass the profanity filter. ;)

I don't understand why you'd put the IHS back on at all. I'd put the block on the bare die, if I'm going to the trouble of removing it.
You Do have to make sure there's even pressure on the die, and sometimes shims are used.
Silver shims aren't that expensive. :)

It never caused problems with the Barton core processors... (lol. You could crack the corners off the die, by being careless.)

That is the way we used to do it, and even ek has a mounting kit for their evo blocks to compensate for a cpu without its hatspreader. The problem is, intel changed to a thinner cpu package starting with the 6000 series. This made the surface of the die sit lower than parts of the socket (I think I remember Kyle made a video showing this). To get around it, you'd either have to mod your socket, or get a custom waterblock. My guess is, this taller package negates those issues. The more I think about it, the more interested I am. Too many projects atm to find out for myself.

Man, this guy is so often in the news with shit no normal user even cares about. Delidding? Overclocking CPUs with LND? I mean, I am a hardware enthusiast, so are you as well. But truthfully, are you ever going to use LND to overclock your CPU?
I think his popularity is insanely overrated.

Man, this guy is so often in the news with shit no normal user even cares about. Delidding? Overclocking CPUs with LND? I mean, I am a hardware enthusiast, so are you as well. But truthfully, are you ever going to use LND to overclock your CPU?
This is Hardocp.. A lot of people on these forums actually delid their cpu's, especially when looking at the SFF community. There is also a community for hardcore overclockers like Der8auer and Kingpin and they are renowned for pushing the envelope of computer overclocking. Precisely what a lot of people are doing with cars and a bunch of other hobbies as well, but I guess you don't question that.

This is Hardocp.. A lot of people on these forums actually delid their cpu's, especially when looking at the SFF community. There is also a community for hardcore overclockers like Der8auer and Kingpin and they are renowned for pushing the envelope of computer overclocking. Precisely what a lot of people are doing with cars and a bunch of other hobbies as well, but I guess you don't question that.

Seconded

Delidding and applying liquid metal seems to be par for course over the last few years, when he starts having to scrape off the soldered TIM I lost interest in the 9900k.

The most interesting part of this thread appears to have been removed. That's a shame.

that's why it's good to have people like him.. doing the stuff none of us have the balls to do our selves.

I have delidded the cpu in both my main computer and my htpc. Scraping off the stim does bother me a little, but I wonder if you could get around that with a soldering iron and some solder wick? If I wasn't saving up for some other toys, I'd be quite tempted to get my hands on one to find out.

Back