Deploy Windows XP

isaac27

Limp Gawd
hey guys
I got a new job as...help-desk in a new company .
i've been given the task to install windows XP Pro SP2 (Corp. Edition)
and to make sure that all computer will have all the updates !! -
*those computers don't have connection to the Internet

I install windows XP on Computers that have internet after setup complete ,
I enter the windows Update and download about 100 updates after it give me the message that "the computer is update - please restart your PC"

I Need to do this in all the other computers - but without using the internet !
I ask the Administrator how can i do it -- he told me to look for duprepare command
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312110

I've got lost while i tried to do this - i need to copy the cd folder i386 ? - change it & burn it again....... ( i want the setup CD to have all update)
Can someone please help me - I want to edit the CD (windows XP Pro SP2 (Corp. Edition - that it will have all update when i install on a new computer ....

I highly recommend looking into learning how to properly use the windows command line if your going to be doing this kind of work. At my work we use batch scripts for this kind of job.

If you take an update and drag it into a cmd window, then ad a
Code:
/?
switch at the end it should give you all your command line options. use
Code:
/norestart /nobackup /quiet

Example of how to silently install one update via the windows command line:
Code:
C:\dircontainingupdate\theupdate.exe /quiet /norestart /nobackup

This will silently install a windows update (no interface) and will prevent a reboot afterwards.

Since you have so many updates it would be easiest to create a script that simply pulls every update out of a folder and runs those switches on it so you dont have a 100 line script and it wont have to be updated every time there is an update.

NOTE: make sure your not installing redundant updates. Look at the KB article for the updates and read it. Look to see if that update replaces a previous one. If it does there is no reason to install the previous one.

Make sure to talk to your administrator about what/how you plan to do it if you choose another method. His way might be easier for you (or him). Whatever the case is good luck and I'm sure you'll figure it out.

one more thing:

check the msfn.org forums for alot of useful information on deploying windows and other software.

There are several ways to accomplish this

- You can setup a RIS on a 2003 server
- You can use nlite to create a XP iso and integrate all drivers and patches
- You can use BDD and WAIK

I'd go the nlite route since there are lots of tutorials, Remote Installation Services is more robust and has more options but its not for the novice, and Business Desktop Deployment although powerful is more geared at Vista, so XP documentation is scarce.

You could also setup one machine with all updates do a sysprep and take a snapshot with say norton ghost or Imagex

Are the computers running in a Workgroup or Domain environment?

The best option for you may be to look into running WSUS. (Windows Server Update Services).

If you can get Internet access to this one server from time to time to it can synchronize with Microsoft and their updates that will work wonders for you.

With WSUS you can manage updates by approving or disapproving of certain updates that will be installed. You can also create groups and manage certain computers differently. (For Ex. you want to deploy Net Framework 3.0 on some machines but not others).

If the company uses an imaging program, you can just sysprep one of the PC's with all the updates, then grab the image, then blow it down to the other computers. Quick and easy... :D

That's what I'm thinking. If you don't have a network to do this on, I agree that looking into something like nlite would be your next best bet.

Back