Denuvo says its new kernel-level anti-cheat driver is minimally invasive

Unless I am misunderstanding what they mean, I would imagine that the kernel should be isolated from things like this, not opened up. Ring zero stuff needs to be untouched except by the OS itself, only.

"Minimally Invasive" sounds an awful lot like using a slightly smaller rubber dick to me.
So in other words, you're still getting banged, but just a little...
Denuvo is the 'in the mood for a quickie' of spyware. :D

Last edited:
Unless I am misunderstanding what they mean, I would imagine that the kernel should be isolated from things like this, not opened up. Ring zero stuff needs to be untouched except by the OS itself, only.
Problem is the cheats it has to detect against run at 0, cheaters don’t care about that sort of stuff.

I get it for multiplayer, trying to deter the majority from ruining the gaming experience. However, I do not want to see it if I am only playing the single player campaign.

Was not very impressed with its multiplayer model anyways, tried to unlock all the achievements and a few matches of that mess changed my mind quickly.

The number of cheaters on PC FPS is getting ridiculous these days. If this can help with that problem, then I am all for it.

We talk about whether consoles are going to lead to the demise of PC gaming, I think all the damn cheaters in games I play is.

considering cheaters have been part of multiplayer gaming since the beginning and pc gaming's still not dead..

Problem is the cheats it has to detect against run at 0, cheaters don’t care about that sort of stuff.

You do not want either things at level 0, since that causes system instability and security problems.

I can imagine the only remedy at this point is to completely split the components of SP and MP. Release a separate exe. As it stands...I can't run Doom Eternal now. And, won't until I'm allowed to say No to the install. I might delete it. The only issue is to reinstall/download later will take several days since I'm on slow ass internet. :(

I can imagine the only remedy at this point is to completely split the components of SP and MP. Release a separate exe. As it stands...I can't run Doom Eternal now. And, won't until I'm allowed to say No to the install. I might delete it. The only issue is to reinstall/download later will take several days since I'm on slow ass internet. :(
But then they can't entice you to play their shitty multiplayer with the lure of limited seasonal shiny things!

Wow, that's pretty shitty of Bethesda. I am vindictively hoping that Doom Eternal sales massively tank for good. I can't imagine this added spyware is compatible with GDPR so I really hope some pissed off EU citizen reports them. It would be sweet to see them hit with a penalty equal to 4% of their worldwide annual sales for being this shitty.

I believe the definition of malware generally includes unauthorized downloads of software to your PC.

Not sure I'll be buying into any of the DOOM, single player Fallout, or single player Elder Scrolls games moving forward.

And I hate to say it but if you're good at a game, if you're dedicated to it like putting hundreds of hours in, the occasional cheaters don't actually matter. They are irrelevant to the meta. In my experience, the loudest screams about HaXx were casuals, bad players, and people that don't even play the game.

Example 500-800 hours across BF3 and BF4 playing in clans and random pub servers - you have more of the "view from above" - and the occasional blatant botter or even suspected closet-botter was good for a momentary laugh, but didn't change anything. Never bright enough to be dangerous.

Going to disagree. Playing ranked (mid tier diamond player) in apex legends can occasionally be a nightmare with people blatantly aim botting. But EA fucking sucks and I blame them.

Going to disagree. Playing ranked (mid tier diamond player) in apex legends can occasionally be a nightmare with people blatantly aim botting. But EA fucking sucks and I blame them.

Right I think that was the intention of the similar use case in valorant, that probably made the competitive nature of the game a little more appropriate. When I think about competitive multiplayer games, I don't think about Doom. At least not doom from the last 15 years, maybe they want to change that, and can't get serious about multiplayer without this level of protection. I wonder if this is going to be the new norm for multiplayer games?

Apex Legends and Battlefield and maybe other EA published titles switched to the Epic acquired Easy Anticheat, should be interesting if they stick with that for their next titles. Or if every studio starts announcing kernel level anticheat for their next games. I can't complain, hell it's 2020 and everyone has 16 core processors and SSD's, load on the bloat to run in the background :p

I played Doom Eternal for about an hour and never touched it again. That whole chainsaw/glory kill to get health etc was cool the first couple of times then ruined the rest of the experience.

But then they can't entice you to play their shitty multiplayer with the lure of limited seasonal shiny things!

Luckily, I got over FOMO years ago. Makes talking to entrenched gamers fun!

It's like when people say, "Boycotts don't work."

Sure they do. I see Buzzfeed is laying people off.

*Thinking gif*

*Thinking gif*
Buzzfeed isn’t dying from boycotts. Never even heard of such an action. Buzzfeed is dying from having nothing but junk content.

*Thinking gif*
Boycotts don't work. People are to stupid and weak to go with out something. While the boycotters might be very vocal they are a tiny minority and usually fall on deaf ears.

There should be a blacklist for cheaters like there are blacklists for renters who take their landlords to court and blacklists for actors/actresses who dont have sex with the casting directors/producers etc. A blacklist that bans you from multiplayer games when you are found cheating on one.

I really dont care if it runs in kernel mode or not. I'm not gaming on a multi-user work computer. If it was running under root or my user it would still have access to all of my stuff and it would have to run at the same access level as the game at least - which is usually the user executing it. The most you have to really fear is that the anti-cheat code crashes and then locks your entire computer up instead of just dying itself. If you're really worried, dont do anything else while playing a game... if the driver loads and unloads via the game, then it shouldn't be hard to verify that.

edit: Killing linux proton support is a deal breaker though.

Dick move to say the least. Uninstalled both Doom and the Bethesda launcher. Too bad i got the deluxe version... ID went real fast from a buy to never again on my list.
Interesting post from Reddit on that subject:

No kidding. I'm not interested in MP for this game, and the addition of Denuvo in SP is a hard pass.
Same here, I was not really interested in the MP aspects of the game just the SP aspect. I bought it on May 6 and haven't had a chance to run it up and it was updated with the latest patches including the Denuvo one. Requested a refund and with a couple of hours my refund was approved from steam support last night.

Nobody plays Doom for the multiplayer. You play Doom for the single player. I get they want to push for multiplayer because that's where all the micro-transaction money is going to be, but stop putting multiplayer features into single player games. Release a seperate game for that like Quake 5. They won't because nobody would buy a multiplayer game full of micro-transactions.

Nobody plays Doom for the multiplayer. You play Doom for the single player. I get they want to push for multiplayer because that's where all the micro-transaction money is going to be, but stop putting multiplayer features into single player games. Release a seperate game for that like Quake 5. They won't because nobody would buy a multiplayer game full of micro-transactions.
Game actually has no MT. It is all unlockable.

Game actually has no MT. It is all unlockable.
Give it a few months. Since most reviewers lower the score of a game with micro-transactions the developers have learned not to include them on release to avoid the initial backlash. Later on they release the multiplayer and include micro-transactions later and you can get around this problem.

Give it a few months. Since most reviewers lower the score of a game with micro-transactions the developers have learned not to include them on release to avoid the initial backlash. Later on they release the multiplayer and include micro-transactions later and you can get around this problem.
They made a promise to never have MT and I would of suspected they would of added it by now if they were going too. In another 6 months the online part will be completely dead and wouldn't make any money off it. While hurting their reputation in the process.

Back