Denuvo Prevents Benchmarkers from Testing Ghost Recon: Wildlands

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
It’s another strike against Denuvo, as paying customers are now getting shafted by anti-tamper software that is only supposed to punish pirates. Those who have been testing the CPU performance of Ubisoft’s latest Tom Clancy title have found themselves being locked out after swapping out different models of processors. Changing out GPUs does not seem to trigger any problems, however. Thanks to cageymaru for this one.

According to Gamestar, Denuvo had temporarily blocked running Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Wildlands when Gamestar’s benchmarkers were swapping their CPU models. This resulted in an extremely lengthy procedure, something that forced Gamestar to completely abandon its CPU tests. We don’t know whether this is due to the new version of Denuvo as we haven’t heard this issue before (everything appeared to be working fine even when various sites benchmarked the Denuvo version of DOOM). Still, this is another issue that Denuvo needs to resolve.

It has been my experience that 'anti tampering' software typically punishes the legitimate users. There will always be a crack. I wish they would just abandon things like this for the sake of true customers.

Or take it old school and just send me a USB Dongle so I never have to authenticate further than my PC. I really don't have any trouble with my iLok key and Pro Tools.

Drm only hurts the paying people but never stops piracy the best it does it slow it down.

This is probably why developers are removing it as soon as its cracked. They know how much of an inconvenience it's causing their legitimate players but they either don't care or they feel it's just minor collateral damage.

What's this ? DRM causing issues for paying customers ? This isn't possible. DRM wouldn't do that, it only effects pirates.........Seriously they expect me to pay money for games that use this trash ?

Not only do you have to be constantly online, but it monitors your hardware signature too? Geez.

Don't buy it, and don't play it. It's not that fantastic a game to begin with. I am OK with Steam because it is account bound, not hardware bound, and it provides conveniences I very much appreciate while not putting roadblocks up. But this shit, this has to die.

Ubisoft just won't/can't learn from their past mistakes.

Boycott re-enacted.

(I disabled my 5+ year boycott due to FarCry Primal)

Weren't there a bunch of people talking about how great Denuvo was because it was unobtrusive?

Hmm.

It has been my experience that 'anti tampering' software typically punishes the legitimate users. There will always be a crack. I wish they would just abandon things like this for the sake of true customers.

Or take it old school and just send me a USB Dongle so I never have to authenticate further than my PC. I really don't have any trouble with my iLok key and Pro Tools.

Exactly.

Just like DRM on media only prevents legitimate customers from using the content they pay for in a manner they desire.

Pirates always have a way to bypass it anyway. The sad part is that stuff like this DRIVES piracy, as no otherwise legitimate customers want to pirate the content as the pirated version is more usable.

My theory as to why they do this is because of DMCA. DMCA makes it a crime to crack an encryption or protection, so if they include protection systems, even if they are weak and easy to circumvent (hello CSS?) now they have legal recourse to go after those who do with criminal charges, whereas in the past or would just have been a civil matter.

IMHO, this situation will never improve until DMCA is revoked and fully destroyed.

This is probably why developers are removing it as soon as its cracked. They know how much of an inconvenience it's causing their legitimate players but they either don't care or they feel it's just minor collateral damage.

No that's not why. Denuvo gives a publisher their money back if the game is cracked, with the stipulation being they have to remove Denuvo.

No that's not why. Denuvo gives a publisher their money back if the game is cracked, with the stipulation being they have to remove Denuvo.

If that's true, how is Denuvo still in business? Virtually all Denuvo games have been cracked given enough time.

Unless there is some sort of time-frame clause ("You can't get a refund if the game hasn't been cracked for X weeks"), which is what I'm guessing is the case if this is real.

I'm so sick of DRM that punishes paying consumers. Pirates always have it better and easier.

Unless something changed, Denuvo is not the cause of this. Denuvo is not DRM, it merely prevents (or just makes it hard) to tamper with the .exe. DRM like online authentication, such as Steam, whatever EA or Ubisoft and the like want, are up to the publishers. But Denuvo it self does not contain online activation or install limits. That would be the DRM (Steam, Origin, whatever).

I know Denuvo released a new version due to RE7 being cracked in days, so maybe that changed.

Reactions: DPI
like this
Ubisoft just won't/can't learn from their past mistakes.

Boycott re-enacted.

(I disabled my 5+ year boycott due to FarCry Primal)

Why? There was absolutely nothing special about that game. I played it for maybe 2-3 hours and I was done.

Why? There was absolutely nothing special about that game. I played it for maybe 2-3 hours and I was done.

How many other games let you play as a cave man? This game is inspired by the movie Quest for Fire, which I really like.

99 percent of all PC gamers are pirates -Ubisoft.

Given that their system can put authenticators by accident on uplay accounts and makes it a pain in the arse to undo, it infuriates legit customers to possibly pirate. It took about 2 hours total to get a friends account unlocked this past weekend. Oh and it took two of us who could still access uplay support (aka we can log in to get into chat support) to get it done. On the weekends, Ubisoft is only chat, twitter and facebook support.

Given that their system can put authenticators by accident on uplay accounts and makes it a pain in the arse to undo, it infuriates legit customers to possibly pirate. It took about 2 hours total to get a friends account unlocked this past weekend. Oh and it took two of us who could still access uplay support (aka we can log in to get into chat support) to get it done. On the weekends, Ubisoft is only chat, twitter and facebook support.

Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot has been speaking to GamesIndustry International about Ubi's reasons for embracing the free to play model . He says free to play games are more cost effective to create because typical PC releases are so heavily pirated. He claims that "only about five to seven per cent" of players pay for PC games, "the rest is pirated."

Guillemot doesn't provide any evidence for this, but insists that the rate of paying customers for a traditional release is equal to that of a free to play game. He says that the free to play model lets Ubisoft "take content which we've developed in the past, graphics etc," to make "cheaper games and improve them over time."

http://www.pcgamer.com/pc-gaming-has-around-a-93-95-per-cent-piracy-rate-claims-ubisoft-ceo/

my estimate was higher.

and i got the figures from the same place he did.

the ass.

Denuvo is not DRM, it merely prevents (or just makes it hard) to tamper with the .exe. DRM like online authentication, such as Steam, whatever EA or Ubisoft and the like want, are up to the publishers. But Denuvo it self does not contain online activation or install limits. That would be the DRM (Steam, Origin, whatever).

Denuvo is a textbook example of Digital Rights Management (DRM), though I'm sure the company appreciates your adoption of its preferred categorization of the technology.

DRM is a blanket term that encompasses a wide variety of technologies. E.g., software license keys are a form of DRM.

Back