Denuvo Has Managed to Win the Last Big Battle of 2017

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The latest version of Denuvo is working well for publishers such as Ubisoft, EA, and Sega, as their latest titles, which include Sonic Forces, Need for Speed Payback, and Star Wars Battlefront 2, still remain uncracked. This is despite their using only one layer of protection, unlike Assassin’s Creed Origins, which utilizes both Denuvo and VM Protect.

Some of you may be wondering why this is such a big deal. Well, the reason is simple. Prior to this version, scene groups were cracking all Denuvo-powered games in a matter of hours. FIFA 18, Total War: WARHAMMER 2, South Park Fractured But Whole and Middle-earth: Shadow of War, were cracked in just a day.

NFS Payback has horrible critic and gamer reviews, so there's probably little interest in cracking it. Battlefront 2 is mainly an MP game, a valid key will be required to log into EA servers, and so there's probably no point in cracking it just for the 5 hour SP campaign. I don't know what Sonic Forces is about, but it also has low review scores.

I guess making a bad game that nobody wants to steal is the best anti-piracy measure of all.

Last edited:
Did they really win though? Or did EA, Ubisoft and SEGA lose? I mean all of these games are just bad, so maybe even pirates don't want them....
I was thinking the same sort of thing.....not that all of the games were bad, but people just didn't want them?

Just because you do not want these games, does not mean others do not. Assassin's Creed Origins has been well received thus far for example.

I don't plan on buying these games, and the reviews I have even on A C Origins says pretty but flawed.

And yeah, there is still time. However, if I was trying to crack Denuvo, I wouldn't bother for these titles....

Did they really win though? Or did EA, Ubisoft and SEGA lose? I mean all of these games are just bad, so maybe even pirates don't want them....

Them being good or bad doesn't matter at all. Its all about the reputation for these groups. Something being hard to crack opens up a chance for recognition from whichever group does it first.

Just because you do not want these games, does not mean others do not. Assassin's Creed Origins has been well received thus far for example.
I was simply asking the question whether or not a lot of people wanted the game, especially pirates wanting them so badly to crack the DRM.

Nah, Origins is pretty good, especially if it's free. I bet there are tons of people who would download Origins when cracked, and a few who really want it and are pirates. Besides, even if the games aren't "desirable" once you break one, you'll be able to crack most of the games using the same version of DRM. So its in their interest (besides bragging rights) to start working on cracking it now than later.

Assassin's Creed hardly counts it has 2 different DRM layered.
Enough that PC performance suffers (allegedly).
Not a win for Denuvo.

Agreed on the Battlefront as well, MP focus makes little sense to devote time and effort.

Sonic? Bwahahaha.

I was simply asking the question whether or not a lot of people wanted the game, especially pirates wanting them so badly to crack the DRM.

Most pirates I would assume don't care for the games they crack, just wanting to get it done. Back when I was a warez kiddo, a lot of pirates wanted to collect, collect, collect, no matter how shitty the software was. I would assume it's the same now.

The latest version of Denuvo is working well for publishers such as Ubisoft, EA, and Sega, as their latest titles, which include Sonic Forces, Need for Speed Payback, and Star Wars Battlefront 2, still remain uncracked. This is despite their using only one layer of protection, unlike Assassin’s Creed Origins, which utilizes both Denuvo and VM Protect.

Some of you may be wondering why this is such a big deal. Well, the reason is simple. Prior to this version, scene groups were cracking all Denuvo-powered games in a matter of hours. FIFA 18, Total War: WARHAMMER 2, South Park Fractured But Whole and Middle-earth: Shadow of War, were cracked in just a day.

1. Sonic Forces: There was a brief time that Sonic didn't suck after Sonic 3. August 15 to November 7. Those were a good half month of Sonic bliss. Awesome game play, awesome sound track, brilliant all around Sonic Game. Then SEGA released yet another 3D game. It was a cold slap to my balls and re-awakening from my dream. Sonic games suck again.
2. Need for Speed Payback. 61%, 6/10... Meh. I knew it released. Didn't even care. I haven't even watched a full review of it, I don't think.
3. Battlefront 2: Short single player coupled with their massive multiplayer scandle that's still ongoing (Rubberband-gate). It's a bargin bin game priced at 60 dollars.

TLDR; I'm sure the hackers have something better to do than crack games that's already been beaten by a Zombie Horse flogger. I'm sure they would like to play some games that didn't suck.

TLDR; I'm sure the hackers have something better to do than crack games that's already been beaten by a Zombie Horse flogger. I'm sure they would like to play some games that didn't suck.

Exactly. Sonic Forces is awful, NFS has MTX/lootboxes, and Battlefront 2 I wouldn't pirate for the crappy single-player.

1. Sonic Forces: There was a brief time that Sonic didn't suck after Sonic 3. August 15 to November 7. Those were a good half month of Sonic bliss. Awesome game play, awesome sound track, brilliant all around Sonic Game. Then SEGA released yet another 3D game. It was a cold slap to my balls and re-awakening from my dream. Sonic games suck again.
2. Need for Speed Payback. 61%, 6/10... Meh. I knew it released. Didn't even care. I haven't even watched a full review of it, I don't think.
3. Battlefront 2: Short single player coupled with their massive multiplayer scandle that's still ongoing (Rubberband-gate). It's a bargin bin game priced at 60 dollars.

These are just excuses, NFS Payback and Battlefront 2 would be high profile targets for crack groups due to all the notoriety they received in the press for the lootboxes + nickel and diming. Having a pirated copy of that would have much more of a splash regardless of game quality. The protection must be doing something to slow them down.

nfs payback looks like the shittiest racer ive seen in a while
every car handles the same, heavy armor no damage bumper cars which turn on a dime.
i'ts like ea didnt even try.

nfs payback looks like the shittiest racer ive seen in a while
every car handles the same, heavy armor no damage bumper cars which turn on a dime.
i'ts like ea didnt even try.

Which is a travesty given that they very nearly perfected the genre with NFS 3: Hot Pursuit in 1998....

Which is a travesty given that they very nearly perfected the genre with NFS 3: Hot Pursuit in 1998....

I think many would considered NFS: Underground and Underground 2 to be their best of the series. I used to play since back when Porsche Unleashed was a thing.

I seen the review of the game and it's pretty much well deserving the bad rating. Too much to explain, but it's like loot boxes without being loot boxes. All your upgrades are left to chance. That, by itself, is pretty damn bad. NFS was never really knows for their customizing. But it's almost like it was going to be a loot box system, but then someone said "Let's just take the loot boxes out. But not change anything else."

NFSU/2 and MW were all quite good. The rest, I couldn't get into them after more than 2 hours.

you said it sister. the new south park is bogus. stick of truth was a billion times more entertaining.

And stories like this will stoke incentive to creative hackers to crack it. 2017 aint over yet...and past versions have been cracked in hours. Don't hold your breath that this latest version will hold up any better.

And stories like this will stoke incentive to creative hackers to crack it. 2017 aint over yet...and past versions have been cracked in hours. Don't hold your breath that this latest version will hold up any better.
It already has.

If by "win" you mean there are lots of people waiting to buy the games down the road after the protection is removed and they are discounted to hell, sure .. it's a win.

But yeah these are shitty games anyways.

Now throw that protection on a game actually worth the hassle of pirating and see how fast it gets busted open.

Past versions sometimes took months in order for an initial crack to be found. After that it was a matter of hours to crack further games using it.

True, but I'd imagine there's money involved in being able to crack it, and start distributing cracks or pirated versions, even if it's just ad-revenue on some partner site.
Oh yes there is but they want to be able to crack it asap, not just "good games".

As a former pirate, I cannot understate how much price enters the equation when asking "Is this game worth getting?" (At least for me, but stay with me). Ask me if I want to buy AC:O for its current pricing. I'll say no, cause basically, I don't consider the value of playing the game to be worth spending my money on it. Ask me if I'll download it for free. I would say yes, cause at the end of the day, AC:O may not be a great game, but its still a game with tons of gameplay to enjoy. When offered a chance to pick up something for free, most pirates will take advantage of it, especially games not super well received or particularly hitting their "I need this game" attitude. Why? Its simple, if its free, the value proposition shifts in favor of downloading the game. I lose nothing in the process of attaining it for free. (I have unlimited data and my HDD is big enough)

In my honest opinion, there will be plenty of people who will download AC:O once Denuvo gets broken. Whatever criticisms of the game, its content, AAA content, and that matters a lot especially when its free. Consider if Ubisoft made it free tomorrow, will you really tell me no one won't download it? People will stick their noses at a FREE "decent" AAA game?

Back