Denuvo Accused of Pirating Anti-Cracking Software to Protect its Floundering Solution

What action has VMProtect announced? And how is "Denuvo mostly failing"? Be specific.

I'd call that taking action :
"This typical corporate sordid tale of greed and theft ends just as you would have imagined. VMProtect's spokesperson drVano announced that they have revoked Denuvo's license and notified Valve that titles such as Nier:Automata, Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3, and Prey are using pirated software. They are requesting that Valve remove the work of scammers on their platform as they seek possible legal action against Denuvo. The Sophos anti-virus solution officially flags the older Denuvo versions as malware now."

and :
"Through our long-standing partners from Intellect-C, we are starting to prepare an official claim against Denuvo Software Solutions GmbH with the prospect of going to court. This might be a very good lesson for ‘greedy’ developers who do not care about the intellectual property rights of their colleagues in the same trade," drVano concludes."

As for denuvo failing they keep getting cracked within a week (Prey, Rime) and made a mess with performance with the recent Rime release "Creating 2 million anti-piracy checks in 30 minutes of game play seems like the worst idea ever when it comes to game performance. I could imagine all the support tickets that the Rime developers received about bad performance."

"In Rime that ugly creature went out of control – how do you like three fucking hundreds of THOUSANDS calls to ‘triggers’ during initial game launch and savegame loading? Did you wonder why game loading times are so long – here is the answer,” Baldman explained."
https://torrentfreak.com/new-control-denuvo-piracy-protection-cracked-170602/

They may not go away just yet but I'm speculating that they wont make as much money in the future as they did in the past.

I'd call that taking action :
"This typical corporate sordid tale of greed and theft ends just as you would have imagined. VMProtect's spokesperson drVano announced that they have revoked Denuvo's license and notified Valve that titles such as Nier:Automata, Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3, and Prey are using pirated software. They are requesting that Valve remove the work of scammers on their platform as they seek possible legal action against Denuvo. The Sophos anti-virus solution officially flags the older Denuvo versions as malware now."

You're quoting an anon poster on a russian cracking forum. VMProtect didn't make that statement. The founder of VMP has since shot it down.

You're quoting an anon poster on a russian cracking forum. VMProtect didn't make that statement. The founder of VMP has since shot it down.
seems you are right. Doesn't mean a deal will not be made even if its not public, I'm thinking VMProtect has denuvo's attention rigth about now.

Last edited:
As for denuvo failing they keep getting cracked within a week (Prey, Rime) and made a mess with performance with the recent Rime release "Creating 2 million anti-piracy checks in 30 minutes of game play seems like the worst idea ever when it comes to game performance. I could imagine all the support tickets that the Rime developers received about bad performance."

"In Rime that ugly creature went out of control – how do you like three fucking hundreds of THOUSANDS calls to ‘triggers’ during initial game launch and savegame loading? Did you wonder why game loading times are so long – here is the answer,” Baldman explained."
https://torrentfreak.com/new-control-denuvo-piracy-protection-cracked-170602/

The one and only source of the "2 million anti-piracy checks in 30 minutes of gameplay" claim -- is a pirate. Nothing has been independently or objectively verified. If the performance disparity really exists, how do we know the indie developer of Rime didn't just implement denuvo incorrectly?

I get the philosophical opposition to DRM, but the disinformation metagame that pirates have been trying to play against Denuvo just seems to be getting sillier and more desperate. First "Denuvo kills SSD's" and "Denuvo kills FPS!" - now its "20 million checks in 30 minutes!"

Why don't other Denuvo-protected titles exhibit the same alleged performance disparity? Tekken 7 plays flawlessly. Ghost Recon: Wildlands plays flawlessly. If the day comes that any copy protection impedes my gaming performance, I'll scream bloody murder. But that's not the case yet.

Forget GPUs and fancy CPUs for performance.. Somebody needs to invent the APPU-- the Anti-Piracy Processing Unit, so that the games themselves can have some processing power left to run!

Reactions: DF-1
like this
What action has VMProtect announced? And how is "Denuvo mostly failing"? Be specific.

I would assume he's making the judgement call because Resident evil and Rime took 5 days to crack instead of the 30+ it took last year. But who's to know.

I don't know how DRM (especially Denuvo) is ever budgeted into a games development. It's a "loss leader" in almost every games financial review. If I were a business man I would start forcing contracts that if the DRM gets cracked (before X date) then the customer gets a refund.

who the hell pirates PC Games anyways? Most people want to play games online against other people, which means there must be a connection to the server - which can obviously be checked for having a valid license.

I hate social games. I do play some games online (BF4, RS2, ect.) but I play plenty of games offline. I like good SP games with a nice story. I hate it when they integrate social aspects into games, especially SP based games. No I don't want to see Jimmy John's ugly mug every time he gets a kill, no I don't care how fast Billy Bob drove around in a circle, no I don't need neon scores of other retards flashing in my face 24/7. A good narrative to add purpose and the ability to take control of the game is always great.

Not much to do with piracy, but plenty don't want online only games.

DRM situation is getting stupid, the technical side of things is one thing, but people need to look up from their keyboards and just consider why people actually buy games and that there are always going to be people copying stuff. I just wish I could play a game 2 players over the LAN with my 8-year old son once a week as a treat for his good behaviour without having to buy two full price licenses. I can't even play two completely different games on two different PC's these days either. They don't even need to be games, I can't run Google Earth VR and a PC game in my office wihout having to perform some stupid online/offline mode gymnastics in steam. And if you ever post on any of these delivery platform forums about how it seems unfair from a consumer point of view, you just get deluged by an avalanche of autistic know-it-all's pointing out T&C's etc. saying how they can't see the need, since most of these nerds don't have families other than their parents upstairs.

Last edited:
The founder of VMProtect has shot the allegations down as "outdated and irrelevant". So the anon russian poster that made the allegations may or may not have worked at VMP at some point, but clearly doesn't anymore.

But let's not let that get in the way of a good fakenews clickbait circlejerk. Let's get stupid!

What I got out of the statement at the top of the article is that "more than likely they settled". When you settle a case you're not allowed to talk about it in public normally. Thus his statement that it is "outdated and irrelevant" fits that narrative perfectly. Also he was quoted saying the same things that were in the Torrentfreak article later in the Russian article you linked. So obviously he was pissed, then pacified in a short amount of time.

Some people want me strictly write about Press releases for new products to make sure that everything is sanitary and clean. Others want to see what happens around the world even if it's not always perfect. I'm not interviewing these people myself. I'm just finding interesting articles about tech that I think people would be interested in. I'm sure that every article I find has some type of bias in it. If you think an article I found is B.S. say so. If you think it's interesting express your opinion. I'm just trying to keep you'll entertained.

Personally I find MIT and other research articles most interesting; especially the ones about aging. I kinda think that you'll might not have the same passion for them as I do. :)

It's all good though.

Reactions: HoffY
like this
Their old solution made 1,000 anti-piracy checks when a game launched which affects loading times of course. Their new solution creates 300,000 anti-piracy checks during the loading operation alone! This increases to two million anti-piracy checks after 30 minutes of game play as the new protection calls 10-30 anti-piracy triggers every second compared to the 1-2 triggers every few minutes

Holy shit, Batman. Talk about hammering the clients computer. I'm really curious to see some benchmarks on whether this system affects performance or not.

The one and only source of the "2 million anti-piracy checks in 30 minutes of gameplay" claim -- is a pirate. Nothing has been independently or objectively verified. If the performance disparity really exists, how do we know the indie developer of Rime didn't just implement denuvo incorrectly?

I get the philosophical opposition to DRM, but the disinformation metagame that pirates have been trying to play against Denuvo just seems to be getting sillier and more desperate. First "Denuvo kills SSD's" and "Denuvo kills FPS!" - now its "20 million checks in 30 minutes!"

Why don't other Denuvo-protected titles exhibit the same alleged performance disparity? Tekken 7 plays flawlessly. Ghost Recon: Wildlands plays flawlessly. If the day comes that any copy protection impedes my gaming performance, I'll scream bloody murder. But that's not the case yet.
Quoted for truth.

Regardless of who and what. Just stop it already. Make a good game and price it fairly.

The only thing I want to say is PlatinumGames better patch out denuvo, because if this causes the games like Nier:Automata to "disappear" due to it technically being a purchased "pirated" version from my steam games list then I will be more than a little pissed off.

If a game I legally purchased goes away and I can't play anymore due to that, I'd just pirate it. Monkey see, monkey do. :D (not really)

I think DRM and anti-piracy schemes are old shit and should be removed. It fucks legitimate people, and pirates get to play their games without it. Even if it takes 5-30 days to crack... Most pirates will wait, they don't care. They weren't going to buy the game anyway. It's not a lost sale.

The only thing I want to say is PlatinumGames better patch out denuvo, because if this causes the games like Nier:Automata to "disappear" due to it technically being a purchased "pirated" version from my steam games list then I will be more than a little pissed off.

An anti piracy protection actually pirating an anti piracy protection to enhance their anti piracy protectition WTF ROFL.
yodawg.jpg

If a game I legally purchased goes away and I can't play anymore due to that, I'd just pirate it. Monkey see, monkey do. :D (not really)

I think DRM and anti-piracy schemes are old shit and should be removed. It fucks legitimate people, and pirates get to play their games without it. Even if it takes 5-30 days to crack... Most pirates will wait, they don't care. They weren't going to buy the game anyway. It's not a lost sale.
Amen to that.

There is a couple of games, physical copies, that I own, but am strongly considering pirating, because of the "2 activation limit", and the fact that:

1. I need to wait 7 fucking days after activation to deactivate it

2. The instruction explicitly states to deactivate properly, or else they would not be able to reclaim your lost activations.

3. the DRM is made by Sony.

My main problem is that the game is so obscure that I don't think pirates even bothered making a crack for it.

They are moving to Steam DRM for their 7th installment, but I would not be surprised if there was an even more asinine DRM.

DRM does not convert pirates into paying customers, it converts paying customers into pirates.

With how much this "uncrackable" software gets cracked they need to give up. I am almost kind of surprised anyone bothers to use them anymore given that it almost now is a challenge to release your game as people are going to go after it day 1 if they know you use this.

How does a company expect to get away with something like this lol. You are a multi-million dollar outfit and really think you're gonna get away with paying 500 bucks to fix your software for all of your clients? Just pay VMprotect what they want.

The problem with that really is the pricing of the software. A company license for the professional software is $500, Ultimate is $1000. Which means that as a company if I buy the software I should be able to use it within any "legal" way that I see fit. That is their fault as a company if they didn't make it clear up front that a company license is to be used for non profit only and that for profit needs a different license. Something that they still don't have on their site.

On the flip side, it should have been the licensee's legal department's job to clear that up with the licensor before actually starting to sell the product.

Either they didn't have one (bad idea these days) or someone somewhere skipped something.

Back