Denon Dx000 Officially Discontinued

Wow even the Denon 2000's? I would have thought they would have kept them around.

Sad day indeed. The replacement for the D2000 is $699? :eek:

Man those will have to be some amazing headphones to be worth $300 more than the D2000's.

Last edited:
"Official replacement"

They have several new models all the way down to $250. It would be a sad day indeed if they compromised on quality to get "cheaper" ($250 is cheap for Denon now I guess?) models out and make more profit.

I'll never understand why companies do stupid shit like this. I understand introducing new products if only ones are poor performers, and introducing new products along side of old ones to see if people like something new. However when you have a winner, you keep that shit.

The D2000 was such a product. I'd say it is the best headphone period when you take everything in to account. The real high end phones do maybe sound a bit better, but it is extremely incremental and costs a lot of money. They are damn near razor flat, low distortion, and not too high a price (J&R would sell them to you for about $250, had to call and ask for the price but they'd do it no problem). They seemed to get sold out all the time, people loved them.

Why the hell would you discontinue it? Keep making that shit with minor revisions until people stop buying. Like the Remington 870, 60 years later and you can still buy one. Why? Because it is a great platform and people still want it.

The rumor mill says Foster, parent company for Fostex, dropped them and so they had to create a new line with a different manufacturer. This holds a little bit of water when you look at the physical design of the new flagship from Fostex.

y5grd.jpg

Look familiar?

They have a serious mountain to climb then. Matching all the great aspects of the D2000 will be quite a feat.

I wonder if they will go with an open can design this time around.

The Fostex is in a different league, it's a $2000 headphone and is supposed to be excellent. It's not a rehash of the Denons if that is what you are implying.

If you look at the Foster site you can see headphones that look to be identical to the D2000s but there is no purchase info that I could find and they were only available through Japan if I'm correct. I think even if the D2000 sticks around in some form or another the D5000/7000 are done for.

what the hell... didn't realize how expensive it was. I hope the D2000 sticks around. For me, about $400-500 is about the highest I could go for headphones, so I don't think I would've ever considered any high-end cans like the D7000.

Once the prices start going past $600 I become much picker. I'm still not sure if I want a solid pair of planar mags yet.

Fostex makes some damn good drivers. The TR50P modded I briefly had was as good sounding a musical, mid range focused headphone as I have heard. Too bad it weighed 3 lbs and was hot as shit on my ears. Still, Zepplin sounded fucking righteous. Amazing value. Really high end sound.

Completely out on any $2000 model. I do not think any headphone is worth that. Pretty sure, with my experience, that you can indeed get very damn close to the same sound for $300 or less.

Completely out on any $2000 model. I do not think any headphone is worth that. Pretty sure, with my experience, that you can indeed get very damn close to the same sound for $300 or less.

Eh, just depends on your point of view. Let's say you make a $300 headphone and can get 98% of the way to the "perfect" headphone sound. It might cost you another $200-500 to move up and solve 50% of the remaining problem to sit at 99%. Once you're there it might cost another $500-1000 to solve another 50% of the remaining gap.

That $300 mark surely represents the best price/performance ratio but there are gains to be had beyond it, just depends on how worthwhile it is to each person. I think the Denons represented that philosophy well with the D2000 that was a fantastic buy for the money and represented the entire line well and then each successive step up further refined the formula. Sure the D7000 doesn't make sense from a value standpoint but if you want the best of that breed it's what you had to get and I'm perfectly happy with mine.

Somewhat sad news. I just got my D2000's a month ago, they sound great but I will always wonder what the D5000's bring to the table and now I will only experience that if I get a used pair. I might just woody and mod my D2000's anyway though.

Wow...no kidding. I never noticed that. I love my D1001's btw. Lightweight, good sound.

I think this was, again, because of a Suit forcing Denon into a position where they had to give up something good. I seriously doubt the D7000 Will ever come back. I do believe we will see an increase in the product line from Fostex, and that the D5000s may come back in a different form there. (Seriously nothing is sexier on a headphone than Wood IMO. I soo want to get a thunderpants!)

I think the D2000s are dead like the 7000s. Some believe Creative will get them, but I doubt something like that would occur without a total redesign. Just a feeling. The speculation about Foster dropping Denon has been pretty well confirmed, as Denon is listed as owned by Bain Capital now. They also sourced a group of American designers/engineers according to the Japanese/Chinese forums to do the design of the new line, and I firmly believe that is why all of the new cans (Except for the IEMs which look pretty sexy) look like beats.

Cheers,

Once the prices start going past $600 I become much picker. I'm still not sure if I want a solid pair of planar mags yet.

My next headphone purchase will be the HiFiMan HE-500. They are efficient (relatively) orthos. I plan on snagging those in a few months after I get my ODAC and Violectric V100. They are supposed to have a very Denon like sound for Orthos, as well as allegedly are extremely comfortable. Couple that with an open design for better sound stage and easy to drive... Sounds (all pun intended) like audio nirvanna!

Cheers,

Some believe Creative will get them...

Highly doubt it. The Aurvana Live is a cheaper version of the D1000/D1001. Why would Fostex go with a different brand with smaller margins? Correct me if I am wrong, but some think the Aurvana Live is a new product, and in that line of thinking, Fostex is going in the Creative direction. However, I remember the Aurvana Live being around almost as long as when the D1000s were out. They only started getting some notice now since the D1000/1001 has been discontinued and the Aurvana Live has dropped significantly in price.

Highly doubt it. The Aurvana Live is a cheaper version of the D1000/D1001. Why would Fostex go with a different brand with smaller margins? Correct me if I am wrong, but some think the Aurvana Live is a new product, and in that line of thinking, Fostex is going in the Creative direction. However, I remember the Aurvana Live being around almost as long as when the D1000s were out. They only started getting some notice now since the D1000/1001 has been discontinued and the Aurvana Live has dropped significantly in price.

I think that people are saying that because Bain acquired Denon, and it may not be because Foster wanted to unload the Denon designs, but because Bain wanted 0 to do with Foster. Ergo since Foster has the designs, they may be reprinted as a different brand. I think that the D5000 may surface again as a member of the Fostex signature line, but we'll see.

Cheers,

Agh, why is every company these days trying to make replica beats...
Denon was one of the few companies that made wood cans look really nice... I love my D5000's.

I'd say don't hate on the appearance until you've tried them. The reason is that comfy phones often can be a little ugly. Good looking and good feeling/sounding don't always line up. I have no idea if these ones are good, since I haven't tried them, just saying don't decide they "look cheap" because you aren't a fan of the styling. The materials look good and there may be acoustic and comfort reasons for the goofy shape.

However also don't mistake this for be saying not to get D2000s, I love mine. If you can get them for $250ish (that's what J&R sold me mine for, had to call and ask for the price since Denon enforces Agency Pricing) they are very worth it.

i just picked me up some used d5000 for $300 at that price i couldn't pass them up they look and sound very good

I'd say don't hate on the appearance until you've tried them. The reason is that comfy phones often can be a little ugly. Good looking and good feeling/sounding don't always line up. I have no idea if these ones are good, since I haven't tried them, just saying don't decide they "look cheap" because you aren't a fan of the styling. The materials look good and there may be acoustic and comfort reasons for the goofy shape.

However also don't mistake this for be saying not to get D2000s, I love mine. If you can get them for $250ish (that's what J&R sold me mine for, had to call and ask for the price since Denon enforces Agency Pricing) they are very worth it.

no, the build quality looks like shit compared to the current crop of what Denon puts out.
I don't know why you appear to be missing this.
This is a pure example of going from art to trash. edit: judging from the comments, almost everyone at head-fi thinks the same.

Last edited:
no, the build quality looks like shit compared to the current crop of what Denon puts out.
I don't know why you appear to be missing this.
This is a pure example of going from art to trash. edit: judging from the comments, almost everyone at head-fi thinks the same.

I don't care what it "looks like" in a picture, I care what it is in real life. I'm not passing judgement until I've had hands on them. I'm not jumping for joy or anything, I think they should have kept the D2000s just because they were a classic. I love mine. However I'm not going to hate on something because of a picture.

I don't care what it "looks like" in a picture, I care what it is in real life. I'm not passing judgement until I've had hands on them. I'm not jumping for joy or anything, I think they should have kept the D2000s just because they were a classic. I love mine. However I'm not going to hate on something because of a picture.

Its nothing more than an attempt to mimic beats. How very sad.

Makes me think I should hunt down some d5000. My d2000s are incredible.Sad day.

I actually like how the 7100s look. Very beats-esque, but again, we're talking about $1200 cans. As long as it has the sound to back it up, I don't care how it looks.

Wonder how these will stack up against the sennheiser 700/800s... the price range is completely out of reach for me, I think I'll stick to my D5000s and K550s...

Makes me happy I got my D2000 few months ago, great headphones for a great price.

Back