Denon AVR-1613 and HTPC with AMD 3200 integrated grahics no signal detected

rimmi2002

n00b
Hi I have a HPTC, 2 yrs running with win7 64 bit with Onkyo SR606 receiver that was working flawlessly. I just switched my receiver to denon avr 1613 and now something really odd is happening. No Signal is being detected from the HDMI port from the HTPC to receiver. Here is everything I have tried.

1. Tested the wire by trying with other devices. Wire is fine.
2. Tested the HDMI port on Computer by connecting directly to TV and it works fine.
3. Tested all HDMI ports on Receiver by connecting my Disk box to them or WDTV Live box and they all work fine.

The odd behavior is that with a new boot the boot screen shows on TV through the HDMI connected to the reciever. The video output works all the way till after the windows logo. After the windows logo disappears it goes to a blank screen and says no signal detected (instead of desktop). If I take the HDMI cord and plug it straight into the TV it works fine. I see the booted windows screen.

4. I thought it might be a software issue. So I Unistalled AMD graphics drivers, rebotted and installed the latest edition and still no luck.
5. Changed Pixels to YCbCr from RGB and still no go.

I am running out of ideas as to what could be wrong here. Am I missing something here? Does the Denon not pick up certain HTPC setups? Please advice. Thanks.

So are you running from the computer, to the receiver, to the TV?

Since you see video on post and through the Windows boot, I would think that you might have a resolution issue? You try different resolutions? Maybe the denon does not support Full HD.

Well, it is definitely a problem within windows. I think he may be onto something with the resolution theory, since it shuts off when windows takes over and sets to your resolution.

So are you running from the computer, to the receiver, to the TV?

Since you see video on post and through the Windows boot, I would think that you might have a resolution issue? You try different resolutions? Maybe the denon does not support Full HD.

Yup you are right. It is a driver/resolution issue. I can boot into safe mode just fine. if I change the resolution to 800x600 it works okay. If I install the AMD 4200 Driver (integrated graphics is 4200 not 3200) I loose video majority of the time....There are rare cases when I do get the video at full HD resolution and I have noticed that computer does not recognize the Reciever. It says its connected to a upnp monitor. if I attach my Mac book air to the receiver it works fine and recognizes the Denon receiver.

Most likely a computer issue...anything I can do to fix this. Really weird problem. My comp worked fine with Onkyo SR606 and a Sony STR-DN1040 that I tried for a few weeks in between. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Try disabling HDMI CEC / HDMI Control on both your receiver and TV and see if that has an effect. Different manufacturers have different names for it, sometimes.

You might try a different video chipset (nvidia) just to see if that resolves it.

Try disabling HDMI CEC / HDMI Control on both your receiver and TV and see if that has an effect. Different manufacturers have different names for it, sometimes.

No other video card. I disabled HDMI control on Receiver and Viera Link on TV and still a no go. Still showing as a Non PNP Monitor. most likely going to try to replace the receiver and hope that fixes the problem.

So it seems others are having this issue and sadly it's not the receiver, not exactly. I had the same issue when I built a HTPC using AMD's A6 APU and ended up returned the parts. I was never able to get an HDMI sync from the HTPC to my receiver (Pioneer vsk-1022) but only with AMD stuffs. I even tried my child's gaming PC that uses an AMD 6950, no signal.

I took my PC into the room with the HTPC and hooked it up, zero issues but it was a nvidia card. Tried a friends AMD 7000 series card, same issue. So there's something with certain receivers and AMD cards / APU's, which stinks cause now I have this Silverstone case and now I have to build a slightly more expensive HTPC setup with either AMD and nvidia or straight Intel.

I should add that I also connected the APU directly to the TV (Panasonic VIERA TC-P50U50) and I did get a signal for 5-10 mins but as soon as I used a program or it had to sync signals it lost the connection.

I contacted both AMD and Pioneer, neither one was very helpful. I thought about replacing the receiver but it's a 600 dollar receiver, no way am I doing that and you shouldn't either if the HTPC is your only issue.

Last edited:
So it seems others are having this issue and sadly it's not the receiver, not exactly. I had the same issue when I built a HTPC using AMD's A6 APU and ended up returned the parts. I was never able to get an HDMI sync from the HTPC to my receiver (Pioneer vsk-1022) but only with AMD stuffs. I even tried my child's gaming PC that uses an AMD 6950, no signal.

*.snip*

Thanks for the insight. Yup its only the HTPC that gives problems. Everything else works well. I even tried to boot off another copy of windows to see if that solves the problem. No Go. Once the ATI drivers installed same problem.

I guess I'll try to see if I can snag a cheap nvidia card to put in. Also was planning on updating my HTPC but have been lazy to do so...so maybe this is a sign.

You could try a live drive boot of Linux -- mythbuntu is great for HTPC functionality.

OK, not to derail the OP's issue however I wanted to report on something. So I ended up going to Bestbuy and they had a Harmon Kardon AVR-1700 on sale for $129, it was open box missing everything. Picked it up and happy to report that the AMD video card is indeed working with the receiver so I'll pick up an AMD APU to see if my luck continues. But this only goes to confirm it's a AMD issue with specific receivers / TVs ;(

Back