Denon AH-D2000 impressions and pics

hdnut

Gawd
I've been so thoroughly impressed with the Denon AH-D2000 that I felt it deserved a brand new thread (with pictures!). I've been using the Ultrasone HFI-700, which are mighty fine headphones with tons of bass by the way, for the last six years and finally decided to try something different. I had no idea what a tremendous upgrade the Denon AH-D2000 were going to be over the HFI-700 and it really took me by surprise how good these cans sound. They are very comfortable as well with very minimal clamping pressure.

Good amplification seems to be needed to drive these to their potential, but a decent sound card or an headphone amp will do the trick.

My short review here: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036619877&postcount=37

A spot on review from RT "gadget guy" over at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/review/R13YED78PYGTXK/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
These Denons have been on my head for the last 6 hours. I've played couple of games, watched a movie, and listened to few albums (Tiesto, Radiohead, and Adele). Seriously, I feel that there's nothing that these guys can't handle and everything sounds great.

Currently, they're sitting on my desk getting the burn-in treatment and I can still hear the music very clearly. It's like little notebook speakers going off. Definitely not the headphones for situations where you wouldn't want anyone to hear what you're listening to.

Anyone else own a pair of Denons and think these cans are pretty terrific? Also what amplification are you guys using to power these? I'm using Onkyo TX-SR605 and to me the Denons sound pretty good when paired with this receiver, but makes me wonder how much better they might sound with a different amp.

Also, if you had a pair and didn't care for them, state why and what you've moved on to.

I picked up a pair of these myself a few months ago and I am in love. I use a Total Bithead amp+DAC. I find them to be very comfortable, usable for hours at a time without my ears getting all sweaty or sore. Excellent positional for gaming and great bass without drowning out the mids and highs for music and movie explosions and the such.

I've found that they isolate me very well. Sometimes I cannot hear somebody knocking at my door or even myself talking over the mic during intense gaming moments (or maybe I just have the volume too high). My roommate never mentioned sound leakage, even when he finally got my attention and I took them off and he could clearly hear whatever I was listening to clear across the room.

I upgraded from cheaper Denon headphones, AH-D950 if I remember correctly. Sad to think I thought they were the shit at the time. Now I think they're just shit. Plan to use these until they wear out, then maybe a set of 5000s?

I've also used these cans as mini-speakers if I don't feel like wearing them which I also discovered during burn-in.

Glad you like the Denon's Hdnut.

RedTalon, everything I have read says it takes a great ear to go from the 2k's to the 5k's, and be able to hear a difference worth the upgrade. I may go straight to the 7k's myself.

BUT! if you do grab the 5k's please give us your feedback!

I upgraded from cheaper Denon headphones, AH-D950 if I remember correctly. Sad to think I thought they were the shit at the time. Now I think they're just shit. Plan to use these until they wear out, then maybe a set of 5000s?

Yeah, I know what you mean. Listening to my Ultrasone HFI-700 is just not the same anymore. Bass is great, but that's all that it has going for it now as I can now tell many of its lesser sound qualities compared to the AH-D2000.

Glad you like the Denon's Hdnut.

I had some doubts as to just how much better these were going to sound over the HFI-700. Although the Denons are not a household name like the Senns, I kept my mind open and went with your recommendation. Man, I'm glad I did. Thanks again for recommending them.

Back