Dennis Ritchie, Father of C and Co-Developer of Unix, Has Died

HardOCP News

[H] News
Dennis Ritchie, the father of the C programming language and the co-developer of the Unix operating system, has passed away. Ritchie was 70. Thanks to everyone that sent this one in.

LINUS TORVALDS ONCE said, in reference to the development of Linux, that he “had hoisted [himself] up on the shoulders of giants.” Among those giants, Dennis Ritchie (aka dmr) was likely the tallest. Ritchie, the creator of the C programming language and co-developer of the Unix operating system passed away on October 8 at the age of 70, leaving a legacy that casts a very long shadow.

A sad day for anyone that's ever coded a line of anything, regardless of the language. He made an indelible mark on computers and technology itself and will not soon be forgotten. My condolences to his family, friends, and colleagues.

You do realize, of course, that he officially died 5 years ago and this whole thing is sortakinda an honorary event to celebrate him, right? :D

Tech luminaries laud Dennis Ritchie ... 5 years after death

As usually gets said: you're welcome to start up your own major forum on the Internet anytime and handle things how you like.

Journalists? Here? Seriously? :D

What, like a journalist checking their facts? Not at the [H], apparently. Not anymore. Very sad.
Or checks the date on the article...that said, I fell for it. Not sure How I didn't remember he died 4 years ago, but what evs.

Steve Jobs, Father of Apple and Co-Developer of iStuff, Has Died.
Time froze in 2011, film at 11.
spinal-tap-11-o.gif

You may have forgotten because he died 3-7 days after Steve, but Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Also, behold his cordial yet sincere face of disgust.
dennis-ritchie-with-bill-clinton1.png

I had a Back to the Future moment. Checked the date on Steve's post a few times and almost questioned my sanity.

I was so confused when I saw this title. I was one of the people starting the Steve Jobs vs Dennis Ritchie arguments that year.

Back