Denmark Is Killing Tesla (And Other Electric Cars)

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Electric cars seem to be having a tough time in Denmark, which is amusing, being that the country pioneered renewable energy. The root cause appears to surround a tax break, which was phased out by the government due to budgetary reasons, and the resulting prices have “killed the market.” Meanwhile, low or zero emission cars are blooming in neighboring Sweden thanks to a five-year tax break and a 40,000 kronor ($4,600) purchase premium.

...electric car dealers were for a long time spared the jaw-dropping import tax of 180 percent that Denmark applies on vehicles fueled by a traditional combustion engine. In the fall of 2015, the government announced the progressive phasing out of tax breaks on electric cars, citing budget constraints and the desire to level the playing field. Tesla, whose sales were skyrocketing at the time, lobbied against the move, with Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk warning during a visit to Copenhagen that sales would be hit. The new tax regime "completely killed the market," Laerke Flader, head of the Danish Electric Car Alliance, said in a recent interview. "Price really matters."

And then we have CA which I just told to byte me and moved out. Buy a green car they say, reduce CO2! So I did, Now they are tacking on $100 a year premium to the registration fee for a hybrid or electric. Plus raising the basic registration fees for all vehicles. Plus raising the State tax per gallon on gas and diesel. "We don't have any money to fix pot holes" say they. The most corrupt bunch of Commies in the 50 States. Would you be willing to pay $400 or $500 a year for a 2015 Ford Fusion? Oh and while you are at it turn in all your guns.

Electric cars would die in California, too, if they didn't have all the subsidies. It pisses me off that the middle class are footing the bill for their subsidies so rich, yuppie assholes in San Francisco and helLA can buy overpriced Teslas and drive in the carpool lane, while the peasants have to deal with the added traffic of losing another lane.
And then we have CA which I just told to byte me and moved out. Buy a green car they say, reduce CO2! So I did, Now they are tacking on $100 a year premium to the registration fee for a hybrid or electric. Plus raising the basic registration fees for all vehicles. Plus raising the State tax per gallon on gas and diesel. "We don't have any money to fix pot holes" say they. The most corrupt bunch of Commies in the 50 States. Would you be willing to pay $400 or $500 a year for a 2015 Ford Fusion? Oh and while you are at it turn in all your guns.
Don't forget trying to pass universal healthcare... Sad to see another patriot leave. This is why the commies are winning. Where are you going to flee next once they take over wherever you are living now?

I think the gas tax will be repealed by patriots in CA, like it was before, which caused the communist governor to be recalled. However, the margin will be slim, since conservatives are tucking tail and running from the state.

Last edited:
And here I am in Maryland pissed off I have to pay $125 every 2 years for registering my Fusion lol. California really needs to break off and fall into the ocean already.

Denmark is killing Tesla by not giving the money subsidies just for selling a car?
If Tesla can't survive without subsidies to defray the cost of purchase, I would say Tesla is killing itself with a failed business model outside of government intervention.
It seems if memory serves me, that Elon Musk has been a pro for sometime with operating "successful" businesses via the government subsidy avenue.

There was no market to start with. There was a subsidy, this is why we have so much trouble, people don't understand what these actions do to the market.

Denmark is killing Tesla by not giving the money subsidies just for selling a car?
If Tesla can't survive without subsidies to defray the cost of purchase, I would say Tesla is killing itself with a failed business model outside of government intervention.
It seems if memory serves me, that Elon Musk has been a pro for sometime with operating "successful" businesses via the government subsidy avenue.

They still get huge tax breaks and don't get the import tax other cars do, only some of the breaks and subsidy was removed, all are planned to be removed by 2020, yet just the small reduction saw a drop of 60% in sales. Just goes to show how much the EV industry is afloat on tax dollars. Most people either don't know about this, or choose to ignore it.

+1

Despite all the hype, electric cars are still not competitive. Only way anyone can justify buying one is due to the huge tax credits and subsidized electric service (or free charging stations)

I work with someone who drive a tiny electric and talks about all the money he saves.
I ran the numbers, and with our high electric costs, a Prius would be cheaper to drive, even if gas prices hit $4/gallon.

boo fucking hoo, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way outa here

no one has tacked anything on to our registration fees. it's a conversation about how to recoup road taxes from those of us who don't pay fuel tax yet drive on the damn roads. you're complaining about a $100 dollar registration fee that is part of the governor's proposal that hasn't even passed our state's legislature yet (needs 2/3rds to pass). besides, the proposal caps registration at $175 so $400-500 per year for any car, let alone a Ford Fusion, is total bullshit that someone fed you on a platter.

There was no market to start with. There was a subsidy, this is why we have so much trouble, people don't understand what these actions do to the market.

They still get huge tax breaks and don't get the import tax other cars do, only some of the breaks and subsidy was removed, all are planned to be removed by 2020, yet just the small reduction saw a drop of 60% in sales. Just goes to show how much the EV industry is afloat on tax dollars. Most people either don't know about this, or choose to ignore it.
I pay taxes as much, usually more, than the next person and sometimes those taxes get applied towards things you support that I think are bullshit and other times it's the other way around with me getting something I enjoy supported that you don't appreciate.

welcome to politics and being a member of society.

boo fucking hoo, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way outa here

no one has tacked anything on to our registration fees. it's a conversation about how to recoup road taxes from those of us who don't pay fuel tax yet drive on the damn roads. you're complaining about a $100 dollar registration fee that is part of the governor's proposal that hasn't even passed our state's legislature yet (needs 2/3rds to pass). besides, the proposal caps registration at $175 so $400-500 per year for any car, let alone a Ford Fusion, is total bullshit that someone fed you on a platter.

Yes person buys car for say $40,000 and then boo hoos at having to pay a couple of hundred every now and then to use it on the road. Oh dear.

I do wonder how these people imagine how their country would look if no one paid anything in taxes. Lots of eagles flying around and you know...freedom!

Electric cars will "die" as gas prices continue to remain low and as the political backlash to radical progressivism grows. While I admit there are some cool aspects to high performance electric cars there are simply too many flaws that are not acknowledged by their advocates. Similarly ICE cars have advantages that are ignored by the green crowd.

Michigan just did this shit. They put it up to the voters and we said no. They passed the taxes anyways. For the first few years the tax has to pay off debt, which is total bullshit as it all should go to the roads.

The article is full of mistakes.

First of all the tax isn't 180% anymore. Its 150%.

Then there is the leasing trick that's being closed now, not to mention other car makers undercut on price in Denmark. Its for example used so a Hyundai Tucson car goes from around 91K DKK, but its list price is 314995 DKK. So expect next year to change quite a bit in cars for that price range.

And then the massive Tesla sales last year. Everyone who wanted a Tesla bought one.

https://www.bilimp.dk/Statistik
Here you can see models, brands etc by year etc.

2015: 2738 Tesla sold. (This was a crazy high number).
2016: 176 Tesla sold.

And Danish people tend to want small cars. Model S is not a small car.

Also the Model S isn't a new car anymore.

Last edited:
The article is full of mistakes.

First of all the tax isn't 180% anymore. Its 150%.

Then there is the leasing trick that's being closed now, not to mention other car makers undercut on price in Denmark. Its for example used so a Hyundai Tucson car goes from around 91K DKK, but its list price is 314995 DKK. So expect next year to change quite a bit in cars for that price range.

And then the massive Tesla sales last year. Everyone who wanted a Tesla bought one.

https://www.bilimp.dk/Statistik
Here you can see models, brands etc by year etc.

2015: 2738 Tesla sold. (This was a crazy high number).
2016: 176 Tesla sold.

And Danish people tend to want small cars. Model S is not a small car.

Also the Model S isn't a new car anymore.

Hey, don't you ruin the "Scandinavia is a godless hellhole for taxation" narrative! Who do you think you are?!

Back