Denied access when changing core priority

Atheist

Limp Gawd
I'm running McAfee anti virus 8.0i on the system in my sig. I formerly used McAfee 7 (these are all corporate editions that my mom gets free access to from the university where she works).

The problem is that when I start new processes, often opening Firefox, Winamp, browsing my hard drives, or even visiting em-dc.com, mcshield.exe jumps to between 50 and 99% CPU utilization and brings my PC to a stand still. If I have music playing in Winamp, that often cuts out while mcsheild.exe does whatever it's doing. I can designate what the engine scans for, but that's not the problem.

When I try to change the core priority of mcshield.exe in the Task Manager, it says access is denied. I'm allowed to change other processes' priorities; is there a way to bump mcshield.exe down from High to Normal every time the machine starts?

The simple answer is, McAfee sucks ass. I won't use that or Norton if they paid me. There are better, even FREE AV programs out there....that don't clog up a box or use a couple hundred megs of ram just sitting there....

TheRapture said:
The simple answer is, McAfee sucks ass. I won't use that or Norton if they paid me. There are better, even FREE AV programs out there....that don't clog up a box or use a couple hundred megs of ram just sitting there....
Agreed. Drop the 39 bucks on Nod32, you'll be glad you did.

I'm more curious as to why I am denied the ability to change the priority. The two programs so far that I've found I am unable to change the priorities of are McAfee and Rio MSC. I can change other things but not those two. I'm using the Admin account.

Back