Demon's Souls (PS5)

I'm replaying Bloodborne right now. I really, really hope this game doesn't have the performance issues and blur that game does. My eyes take like 10 minutes to adjust to playing it every time and it's tough to see anything with all of the motion blur.

Looks like there is going to be a performance mode that, at least in the gameplay trailer, delivers 60fps at 1440p. Presumably the graphics optimized mode will be 4K/30. Motion blur is very noticable in the gameplay trailer, but it doesn't look at smear-y (for lack of a better term) as Bloodborne's was.

Looking at the trailer, I'm happy with how it looks and performs. There's motion blur, but it's mild and feels appropriate. With Bloodborne the game looks like content on a first gen LCD screen. If anything is moving at all, it's fuzzy, blurry, and simply doesn't look right. I eventually get used to it, but I'd kill for a proper version of that game that runs better.

Can't say I mind 1440p/60. I've been fond of using a 75% resolution render to bump a lot of 4K PC games to 60fps, so that's basically the same thing. I doubt I'll ever even try the 30fps mode.

Bloodborne also has chromatic aberration. Which makes everything look blurry. On top of that, Fromsoftware's post process AA solution has always been blurry.

Demon’s Souls Digital Deluxe Edition For PlayStation 5

Sony has announced that pre-orders for Demon’s Souls have opened up today with 6 weeks left to go until the launch of both the From Software remake and PlayStation 5 console...as part of the news announcement, a new Digital Deluxe Edition for Demon’s Souls has also been announced that includes some new gear that wasn’t in the original PlayStation 3 release

Interestingly, each of the equippable items are new to Demon’s Souls, implying that Bluepoint will be adding some new items and gear to their complete remake of the PlayStation 3 classic...
  • Original Soundtrack
  • Legendary Hero Soul
  • Renowned Warrior Soul
  • Storied Warrior Soul
  • Red-Eye Knight Armor
  • Boletarian Royalty Armor
  • Ritual Blade
  • Hoplite Shield
  • Ring of Longevity
  • Preservation Grains
  • Phosphorescent Grains
  • Bearbug Grains
  • Large Hardstone Shard
  • Moonlightstone Shard

DS.jpeg

Interesting. I might as well bite. Not like it's going to get any cheaper and there's no way I'm not going to buy it immediately.

Demon's Souls details:
- two modes: cinematic mode (4K 30FPS) and performance mode (dynamic 4K 60FPS). 4K 30 hasn't yet been shown in a trailer. Includes extra effects such as dynamic shadows on characters.
- photo mode
- filters can be applied like Kurosawa mode
- there is a classic filter to make the game look more like the PS3 original
- no 6th Archstone
- no difficulty settings
will let you save and store characters in the Nexus so you're not stuck with your original build forever
The amount of healing grasses you can carry will be more limited in the Demon's Souls remake; more powerful grasses weigh more as well (confirmation that item weight in your inventory, is still a part of the game).
All animations have been re-worked (based on motion capture). But their overall timing has been more or less matched, to keep the same feel of the original.
many bugs and opportunities to cheese or cheat, have been removed.
Leverages the PS5's 3D audio chipset known as the "tempest engine". They added "thousands" of new sounds to the game.
Uses the haptic feedback features in the new controller

Confirmed that Demon’s Souls love-it-or-hate-it World Tendency system will come back as-is in the remake. In the original, the game’s World Tendency shifted from black to white, depending on your actions. World Tendency’s level of light or darkness would cause certain events to happen as the tendency changed. And when played online, the actions of all players in aggregate affect the tendency, which can make the game unpredictable. But there is one small change that veteran Demon’s Souls players will welcome.
“The only thing we change about World Tendency is that we felt that it was difficult to understand what tendency you were in in the original,” Moore said. “So we’ve tried to improve the UI, so you can see which [World Tendency] state you’re in.”

No difficulty settings is a weird bullet point to have given what series we’re talking about.

No difficulty settings is a weird bullet point to have given what series we’re talking about.

It comes from the video I posted. Game Informer asked if there would be difficulty settings, prompting the response that it won't have any.

Preordered my copy yesterday so I can just download it as soon as my machine gets here. Still seeing a deluxe edition for $90 was a bit worrisome about future game releases.

It comes from the video I posted. Game Informer asked if there would be difficulty settings, prompting the response that it won't have any.
It's likely the question was raised at all, due to recent activity in major forums, such as Resetera.

A few people there have been very loud about how they think souls games should have easy modes, so that anyone can complete them, without having to learn the supporting mechanics and/or deal with dying repeatedly ("prepare to die" was the marketing slogan for Dark Souls 1. And it was so culturally effective, other games such as Diablo 3, tried to use very similar slogans).

these people Claim it wouldn't change the gameplay at all.

It's a bogus claim. But, a fair amount of people seem to want an easy mode.

A few more details I became aware of:

Some models have been changed since their last showing, based on fan response. Most notably, Flamelurker now looks more reminiscent of his original model.
AI and logic are reportedly untouched. (I doubt that is 100% true. especially because they already said that they removed many opportunities to cheat or "cheese" the game. And some of that in Demon's Souls was related to AI and logic)
The game has a mirror mode which you can activate in the nexus. Its called "Fractured Mode".
All dialogue re-recorded. Many of the original voice actors were able to be used for the remake. They also added and/or tweaked many dialogue lines to add variety and clarity of information.
Camera system has been re-worked and is generally framed much more tightly on the character. However, the original camera system is there as an option.

The music in Demon's Souls was all digitally synthesized. So, there wasn't an opportunity to remix or remaster the music. Instead, they decided to completely re-do the music with live orchestration and they basically re-imagined the music in the process. At least some of the orchestration was recorded on location in the UK. Including a live pipe organ.

A little more detail on the feature where you can save character builds and switch between them. They are hesitant to fully explain the system. But, it sounds like you pay a certain amount of souls to respec your character, but you can save the old spec and the new spec and then switch between them. And presumably you can do this a few times during the course of a play through and end up with multiple character specs to switch between.

Last edited:
A little more detail on the feature where you can save character builds and switch between them. They are hesitant to fully explain the system. But, it sounds like you pay a certain amount of souls to respec your character, but you can save the old spec and the new spec and then switch between them. And presumably you can do this a few times during the course of a play through and end up with multiple character specs to switch between.
For some reason it makes me think that is their how to milk money from the "Soul" fans after release plan. That sounds expensive in either time or in buying at the PS store kind of way. A sure fire way to say no you don't have to pay us to respec, but if you don't you'll need at least 8+ hours of farming to do it.

For some reason it makes me think that is their how to milk money from the "Soul" fans after release plan. That sounds expensive in either time or in buying at the PS store kind of way. A sure fire way to say no you don't have to pay us to respec, but if you don't you'll need at least 8+ hours of farming to do it.
I can assure you this is not a monetization system. It will be in-game souls, only.

I don't think so. Sony has been pretty proconsumer when it comes to MT. I can't even recall if any of their games contained MT.

I don't think so. Sony has been pretty proconsumer when it comes to MT. I can't even recall if any of their games contained MT.
I just gave a quick scroll through of games they published for PS4 and yeah I don’t think any of their stuff has microtransactions, at least nothing that’s more egregious than like selling cars for driveclub.

Many PlayStation 4 games run with higher framerates on PlayStation 5, but sadly From Software's Bloodborne is not among them, although the game does benefit from the console's increased power...speaking on Twitter, well-known dataminer Lance McDonald confirmed that the PlayStation 4 exclusive runs at 30 FPS on PlayStation 5, the frame pacing issues still not fixed

the game, however, has better performance on the new console, as it manages to keep steady 30 FPS in sequences where it struggled on PlayStation 4 Pro...Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice have also been confirmed to run at 60 FPS on the new console...

https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1324698482817474563

https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1324715059138867203

Many PlayStation 4 games run with higher framerates on PlayStation 5, but sadly From Software's Bloodborne is not among them, although the game does benefit from the console's increased power...speaking on Twitter, well-known dataminer Lance McDonald confirmed that the PlayStation 4 exclusive runs at 30 FPS on PlayStation 5, the frame pacing issues still not fixed

the game, however, has better performance on the new console, as it manages to keep steady 30 FPS in sequences where it struggled on PlayStation 4 Pro...Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice have also been confirmed to run at 60 FPS on the new console...

I suspect Bloodborned will eventually get a patch for PS5

I suspect Bloodborned will eventually get a patch for PS5

From my understanding the movement and animations within Bloodborne are tied to the frame rate. Apparently, letting the game run at higher frame rates could fundamentally alter the gameplay.

From my understanding the movement and animations within Bloodborne are tied to the frame rate. Apparently, letting the game run at higher frame rates could fundamentally alter the gameplay.
That's why it would be a *patch* from From (or another developer given access to the source code) so they can assure it works fine. There are people who have created an unofficial FPS unlocker for Bloodborne and the game mostly plays just fine so it wouldn't take much.

Demon's Souls- State of Play | PS5

SIE Worldwide Studios Creative Director Gavin Moore shares development and gameplay insight into Demon's Souls, a PlayStation classic lovingly rebuilt for PS5...journey into Boletaria on November 12th...

Demon's Souls- State of Play | PS5

SIE Worldwide Studios Creative Director Gavin Moore shares development and gameplay insight into Demon's Souls, a PlayStation classic lovingly rebuilt for PS5...journey into Boletaria on November 12th...

If you've never played Demon's Souls, I highly recommend not watching this video. And to emphasize, I haven't necessarily felt the need to say that, about the previous videos.

If you've never played Demon's Souls, I highly recommend not watching this video. And to emphasize, I haven't necessarily felt the need to say that, about the previous videos.

I saw the first few seconds of that video and realized they were showing entire sections of the game so I stopped watching...either way I'm waiting for the PC version...

I saw the first few seconds of that video and realized they were showing entire sections of the game so I stopped watching...either way I'm waiting for the PC version...
What PC version? Sony re-confirmed a month ago that its PS5 exclusive and that there are no plans for a PC version (at least for now anyway).

What PC version? Sony re-confirmed a month ago that its PS5 exclusive and that there are no plans for a PC version (at least for now anyway).

an accidental PC logo is never accidental...of course it's not coming at the same time as the PS5 but it will in time...I'm fine with waiting

an accidental PC logo is never accidental...of course it's not coming at the same time as the PS5 but it will in time...I'm fine with waiting
I am guessing it's going to be a min 3 years from this Thursday. Like Horizon Zero Dawn PS4 release Feb 2017, PC release Aug 2020

I am guessing it's going to be a min 3 years from this Thursday. Like Horizon Zero Dawn PS4 release Feb 2017, PC release Aug 2020

Seems likely to me. If Horizon did well, i'm sure Sony will bring more of its titles to PC. That said, I think they will be highly reserved and well after their console release. They want to be damn sure every opportunity to sell you a PS5 has passed first.

I said it before but, a Souls game is a different thing than other Sony games. Dark Souls is a 30 million selling series. Dark Souls 3 sold 10 million, itself. And Steam Spy projects the PC versions of Dark Souls 1, 2, and 3, all sold between 2 and 5 million, each.

Dark Souls is a hit, no matter which device you play it on. Sony would be stupid to leave that money and that community on the table. I have no doubt we will see a PC port. I think we will see a PC port of the Demon's Souls remake, around April-ish. And they will also announce Demon's Souls 2.

I'm wondering if From fixed all the exploits. Practically every boss could be killed in safety, as long as you just stayed far enough away, and whittled down their health with arrows.

And also if they changed the last boss. The last boss in the original is the easiest enemy in all of the Souls games.

I said it before but, a Souls game is a different thing than other Sony games. Dark Souls is a 30 million selling series. Dark Souls 3 sold 10 million, itself. And Steam Spy projects the PC versions of Dark Souls 1, 2, and 3, all sold between 2 and 5 million, each.

Dark Souls is a hit, no matter which device you play it on. Sony would be stupid to leave that money and that community on the table. I have no doubt we will see a PC port. I think we will see a PC port of the Demon's Souls remake, around April-ish. And they will also announce Demon's Souls 2.
April is lofty as hell. There’s no way it’s coming that soon, by your very own reasoning. Demon souls is massive. It’s PS5s killer app. And it’s the only one Sony has until the next horizon which is probably a holiday 2021 release. Demon Souls is a system seller. Today. Next month. Next year, when you can finally get a console without fret effort. Christmas 2021. It’ll be a system seller for years and years.

Sure, Sony wants your money either way, but they really would rather sell you a PS5. They are going to dangle that low hanging fruit as long as they possibly can, knowing that month after month people will break and buy a PS5 just for souls.

I bet it’s at least 2022 before we hear anything concrete about this on PC. I’ll eat my words if I’m wrong... but I’m confident I’m not wrong.

I'm wondering if From fixed all the exploits. Practically every boss could be killed in safety, as long as you just stayed far enough away, and whittled down their health with arrows.

And also if they changed the last boss. The last boss in the original is the easiest enemy in all of the Souls games.
From was not involved in this remake.

However, Bluepoint stated that they fixed/removed a lot of exploits due to game logic/AI issues and/or glitching. But they said that they also left in a few things which are classic sort of Demon's Souls flavor or memes.

No specifics. But, there were certainly some bosses which seemed to have bugged AI in the original game. So I'm expecting things like that to be cleaned up. Penetrator and Old Monk, in particular.

As far as we know, they did not make any major changes to bosses. Demon's Souls is a lot more thematic and narrative, in the way it presents its boss encounters. Some bosses are actually not meant to be gameplay trials. I will shy away from details, but the last boss is important and I doubt it is greatly changed, in terms of key elements for that encounter.

Last edited:
April is lofty as hell. There’s no way it’s coming that soon, by your very own reasoning. Demon souls is massive. It’s PS5s killer app. And it’s the only one Sony has until the next horizon which is probably a holiday 2021 release. Demon Souls is a system seller. Today. Next month. Next year, when you can finally get a console without fret effort. Christmas 2021. It’ll be a system seller for years and years.

Sure, Sony wants your money either way, but they really would rather sell you a PS5. They are going to dangle that low hanging fruit as long as they possibly can, knowing that month after month people will break and buy a PS5 just for souls.

I bet it’s at least 2022 before we hear anything concrete about this on PC. I’ll eat my words if I’m wrong... but I’m confident I’m not wrong.
The irony that Sony crapped on the original Demons Souls and wrote it off as a failure and a dud, before it slowly developed it's own cult following. And now a remake of that 'dud' is practically the only thing the newest Playstation in 2020 has going for it at launch.

PS5 is little more than a $600 Demons Souls standalone player for me right now. Not that Xbox X is much better - I asked what launch titles people were excited to play and it's crickets and head scratching.

The irony that Sony crapped on the original Demons Souls and wrote it off as a failure and a dud, before it slowly developed it's own cult following. And now a remake is practically the only thing the newest Playstation in 2020 has going for it at launch.

PS5 is little more than a $600 Demons Souls standalone player for me right now. Not that Xbox X is much better - I asked what launch titles people were excited to play and it's crickets and head scratching.
This is pretty much the case for every modern console launch. You have 1 or 2 good exclusives to play right away and then you wait for more.

This is pretty much the case for every modern console launch. You have 1 or 2 good exclusives to play right away and then you wait for more.
I don't remember the pickings being this slim to nonexistent on any previous launch. There was always at least one killer app for each platform. Now it's a remake anchoring a new PS.

Anyhoo, I'll have Demons Souls arriving launch day but no PS5 to play it, lol.

The irony that Sony crapped on the original Demons Souls and wrote it off as a failure and a dud, before it slowly developed it's own cult following. And now a remake of that 'dud' is practically the only thing the newest Playstation in 2020 has going for it at launch.

It was a failure at release. It didn't pickup til Dark souls games came and started to become a cult classic and beloved.

Back