Demon's Souls (2020)

odditory

Supreme [H]ardness
The progenitor of all Souls games has returned. First gameplay reveal:

1600295425869.png

Last edited:
Will be a PS5 launch title. No information on if the PC version will launch at the same time or later.

more PS games on PC PLEASE.... This is wonderful news..
I'm thinking we may have Microsoft to ultimately thank, for bringing Xbox games to PC, and Sony seeming to decide "then we're going to do it too".

I bet it will be later, but the way they wrote it is confusing. Hopefully it comes to PC on launch day.

I'm thinking we may have Microsoft to ultimately thank, for bringing Xbox games to PC, and Sony seeming to decide "then we're going to do it too".

I agree.. Phil Spencer has done amazing work over there. Gamers win and they make extra $.. A win for all.

Makes me wonder if Bloodborne will come to PC eventually.

The graphics are way better than expected, it's definitely the best looking Souls game to date even though its a remake (looks like Bluepoint has done an amazing job), and dare I say I'm even more excited to load into this game on launch day than Cyberpunk. Sekiro was fine, but sword & board just does it for me.

1600292032285.png

Yes. It says also on PC, doesn't say when. Let's not forget the trailer itself didn't even give a release date.

Well we gotta go by what they said.. Not conspiracy theory. It doesn't say Timed for PC. Maybe they will clarify later.. Either way.. Glad its coming to PC.

Well we gotta go by what they said.. Not conspiracy theory. It doesn't say Timed for PC. Maybe they will clarify later.. Either way.. Glad its coming to PC.

Yeah. It took relying on Geoff Keighly to learn that the game is a PS5 launch title. I hope it's PC at the same time as well, but I'm sure we'll know soon enough.

They pulled the trailer, probably didn't want to let out the news its coming to PC yet.

Edit: Or they might just be correcting the phrasing since it was confusing.

Last edited:
They pulled the trailer, probably didn't want to let out the news its coming to PC yet.

Edit: Or they might just be correcting the phrasing since it was confusing.
I managed to save a copy of the 4K version, so if alternate links (IGN, VG247) also get nuked then I'll update OP with my saved copy.

Last edited:
Sounds more like someone in upper management waking up and telling marketing "hey guys we weren't ready to announce the PC version yet, because we want to sell as many launch PS5's as possible". Because the information seems a bit too specific to just have been a "typo" or "human error" as the Kotaku update claims they were told.

And I have to admit they have a point - my PS5 purchase decision comes down to which platform I can play this game on soonest. If PC version will be available at PS5 launch or within 2-3 months after, I won't bother buying PS5.

Last edited:
Sounds more like someone in upper management waking up and telling marketing "hey guys we weren't ready to announce the PC version yet, because we want to sell as many launch PS5's as possible".

I think this is what happened. Because the new Final Fantasy trailer did the exact same thing. The trailer shown in the live stream, says "also available on PC" in small print. But the uploads which hit youtube later, ommit mention of the PC, entirely.

Also, Sony just released a statement a few days ago, that they will be bringing more games to PC. And the souls games have had a lot of success on PC. They would be dumb to leave that money on the table.

Attachments

• EiEgReIX0AcaHtZ.jpg
    EiEgReIX0AcaHtZ.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 0
  • EiEgQxNXkAEnGpS.jpg
    EiEgQxNXkAEnGpS.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 0
Sounds more like someone in upper management waking up and telling marketing "hey guys we weren't ready to announce the PC version yet, because we want to sell as many launch PS5's as possible". Because the information seems a bit too specific to just have been a "typo" or "human error" as the Kotaku update claims they were told.

And I have to admit they have a point - my PS5 purchase decision comes down to which platform I can play this game on soonest. If PC version will be available at PS5 launch or within 2-3 months after, I won't bother buying PS5.

Could be like what happened with Death Stranding, where a PC version was revealed far too early. Very likely means there won't be a PC release at, or close to, launch though.

The graphics are way better than expected, it's definitely the best looking Souls game to date even though its a remake (looks like Bluepoint has done an amazing job), and dare I say I'm even more excited to load into this game on launch day than Cyberpunk. Sekiro was fine, but sword & board just does it for me.

Bluepoint is the premiere developer as far as remakes/remasters...everything they touch is gold from the Uncharted trilogy to Shadow of the Colossus etc...I expect Demon's Souls to look amazing...although I don't expect this to launch on PC until 2021

Bluepoint is the premiere developer as far as remakes/remasters...everything they touch is gold from the Uncharted trilogy to Shadow of the Colossus etc...I expect Demon's Souls to look amazing...although I don't expect this to launch on PC until 2021
Their Shadow of The Colossus remake looks amazing. Albeit a fairly big departure from the "feel" of the original. It is mostly astounding in its own right.

This Demon's Souls remake looks like a cross between the visual quality of their SoTC remake and geometric density of Dark Souls 3. And I think its a great fit for Demon's Souls.

Real happy to read it's coming to PC, but dam what a cluster fuck for the PS5 launch. Timed exclusive or not, that is going to definitely take some sales of PS5 hardware away. Though I have to say I am really surprised they even mentioned a PC version so early, Souls games are a big draw for Sony hardware and I would have expected them to keep that under wraps till shortly before the exclusive window was over.

Their Shadow of The Colossus remake looks amazing. Albeit a fairly big departure from the "feel" of the original. It is mostly astounding in its own right.

This Demon's Souls remake looks like a cross between the visual quality of their SoTC remake and geometric density of Dark Souls 3. And I think its a great fit for Demon's Souls.
Yeah after scanning through freezed frames of the 4K gameplay trailer, it blows away Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro in terms of poly count, texture quality and lighting - there is a lot going on environmentally, in the periphery of the combat.

As long as the feel of the movement and combat hasn't deviated from the familiar Souls feel - as long as it doesn't end up too floaty or anything - then they've got a winner here.

Last edited:
Yeah after scanning through freezed frames of the 4K gameplay trailer, it blows away Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro in terms of poly count, texture quality and lighting - there is a lot going on in environmentally, in the periphery of the combat.

Can't wait.

Pretty sure there's some ray tracing going in in some of the reflections as well.

Pretty sure there's some ray tracing going in in some of the reflections as well.
I'm not sure!

I didn't see any reflections which looked like they needed to be raytraced.

I would guess if anything is raytraced, its probably the ambient occlusion and shadows. That all looks really smooth and stable and with good coverage. Reminds me a bit of Control.

Damn I was gonna grab a 3060 or something to actually play this on PC.... Oh well

I think it has a lot to do with preparing long term for the future of gaming, which will become service based. Ubisoft, Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony and even Nvidia have been dabbling in streaming/subscriptions. Ubisoft pushes the concept of streaming in their games to. Think it was one of the recent Assassin's Creed games I played, where they explicitly mentioned streaming services for video games written in the lore.

But for the short term, more games on PC is great. This game probably isn't for me but nice to see them coming along.

Since the advent of internet, the only game that wasn't an MMO that I poured hundreds of hours into was DS3... I was thinking about a PS5, maybe I will just do it lol.

Looks like Sony is trying to backtrack on the PC version. https://kotaku.com/demons-souls-remake-also-coming-to-pc-timed-exclusive-1845082896
Update—6:19 p.m. ET, 09/16/2020: Following the original publication of this story, Sony has told Kotaku that the trailer claiming Demon’s Souls would be coming to PC and “other consoles” was a mistake, attributing the incorrect information to “human error.” When we tried to further confirm that the game wasn’t coming to PC, the rep replied, “Yes, it’s just PS5.”

I like how they kept the sound effects almost the same but changed them up a bit.
Otherwise the entire game would feel off really wanted to see the opening stairs for the 1st area.
At least they showed the spider boss for a half of a second.

It's hard to believe this would just slip by the multiples of people who review the trailer before it goes out. I work at game company at a marketing office, not going to get too specific because I'm a contractor, but I know when marketing material is produced it goes through multiple approval phases before it can actually be used. I know atleast 3 people at my office it would go through before going for approval at the corporate office. But another thought has also crossed my mind that this could possibly happend during a pandemic when most people are working from home.

they probably forgot to tell the video editor to omit the PC port detail. Everyone knew, except that person.

Demon's Souls details:
- two modes: cinematic mode (4K 30FPS) and performance mode (dynamic 4K 60FPS). 4K 30 hasn't yet been shown in a trailer. Includes extra effects such as dynamic shadows on characters.
- photo mode
- filters can be applied like Kurosawa mode
- there is a classic filter to make the game look more like the PS3 original
- no 6th Archstone
- no difficulty settings

will let you save and store characters in the Nexus so you're not stuck with your original build forever

The amount of healing grasses you can carry will be more limited in the Demon's Souls remake; more powerful grasses weigh more as well (confirmation that item weight in your inventory, is still a part of the game).

All animations have been re-worked (based on motion capture). But their overall timing has been more or less matched, to keep the same feel of the original.

many bugs and opportunities to cheese or cheat, have been removed.

Leverages the PS5's 3D audio chipset known as the "tempest engine". They added "thousands" of new sounds to the game.

Uses the haptic feedback features in the new controller

Confirmed that Demon’s Souls love-it-or-hate-it World Tendency system will come back as-is in the remake. In the original, the game’s World Tendency shifted from black to white, depending on your actions. World Tendency’s level of light or darkness would cause certain events to happen as the tendency changed. And when played online, the actions of all players in aggregate affect the tendency, which can make the game unpredictable. But there is one small change that veteran Demon’s Souls players will welcome.

“The only thing we change about World Tendency is that we felt that it was difficult to understand what tendency you were in in the original,” Moore said. “So we’ve tried to improve the UI, so you can see which [World Tendency] state you’re in.”

Last edited:
Back