Demonoid Busted By The Police

HardOCP News

[H] News
Damn it, a good "knock, knock" joke would have went great with this story but I couldn't think of anything funny to rhyme with "the Ukrainian cops just ganked your stuff."

Shortly after this hacker break-in occurred, and even a few days later, came the investigators. Investigators copied all the information from Demonoid's servers, and sealed them. Some equipment was not seized, but now that [the connection] does not work, we were forced to terminate the agreement with the site.

The general consensus is that Demonoid did not break Ukranian law. In fact, the site went to extreme measures to avoid the wrath of local authorities: it blocked all Ukranian IP addresses. Nevertheless, it is believed that the U.S. got involved, and suddenly Ukraine started looking into the torrent site.

That's fucked up. I really despise our government sometimes. (Okay, more than sometimes... ;))

the sites admin is still free it will go down for 6 moths to a year then pop back up

I'm not defending one way or the other the Demonoid site, but I'm pretty sure the Ukrainian officials had little leeway to do this. The long arm of the MIAA/RPAA is getting a little ridiculous. I wonder what law Ukraine will use to justify the take down. It's interesting to note it was initially a DDoS attack too. They went in effectively with a big flash bang.

I wonder how much $$ USA gave Ukraine to do this. Money talks!

Let's be honest with ourselves... how many times did you go and ACTUALLY use demonoid for legal purposes? And if you did, how many times did you go all together?

Really... I know MPAA and RIAA are a bit notorious... but whens the last time they tried to shut down a LEGITIMATE site.

One down, several hundred thousand to go. War on Terrorism Drugs Piracy is well on its way!

Let's be honest with ourselves... how many times did you go and ACTUALLY use demonoid for legal purposes? And if you did, how many times did you go all together?

Really... I know MPAA and RIAA are a bit notorious... but whens the last time they tried to shut down a LEGITIMATE site.

The Imperial U$ Government does it all the time. Look up what they did to Rojadirecta.

The US Government is essentially the world's largest criminal organization. They murder US citizens without trial, they take people's domains without so much as a trial even if those people are in other countries and they strongarm countries into complying with the whims of the corporate masters (and those that don't get labeled as supporting terrorism like Venezuela).

I always used Megaupload legit.

The Imperial U$ Government does it all the time. Look up what they did to Rojadirecta.

The US Government is essentially the world's largest criminal organization. They murder US citizens without trial, they take people's domains without so much as a trial even if those people are in other countries and they strongarm countries into complying with the whims of the corporate masters (and those that don't get labeled as supporting terrorism like Venezuela).

+1 and that is why I laugh as the megaupload case continues to disintigrate in front of the (in)Justice Department.

Oh this shit happens all the time. If you don't do what the US government wants you are automatically a terrorist. Why do you think they had so many people in Guantanamo Bay then ended up releasing them? Simply because the US had to get these people out of the way for a while so they could take their land or to eliminate people from uprising...it wasn't because they were actually suspected terrorists.

I swear, its like no wonder why the Middle East hates us so much!

5 times! :D

Seriously though, I get what you're saying, But it's still not right. And no doubt they paid hackers or did it themselves with the DDoS attack.

But whatever, a new site pops up every time one goes down. Eventually they will be back and this starts all over again.

Why do you think they had so many people in Guantanamo Bay then ended up releasing them? Simply because the US had to get these people out of the way for a while so they could take their land or to eliminate people from uprising...it wasn't because they were actually suspected terrorists.
\

I guess that's why most of the people released end up rejoining thier terrorist group and killing Americans again?

The admin (yes that's singular lol) apparently is in Mexico. So he's probably the most wanted Mexican now for the US government, not those drug cartel people, not those gun runners, but the admin of Demonoid.

Damn these fascists taking away my basic human right to pirated software!

\

I guess that's why most of the people released end up rejoining thier terrorist group and killing Americans again?

Re-join is presumptive, the concept of guilty before proven innocent is a bankrupt construct. Some of these people join because of the imprisonment, why is that a surprise? Their lives destroyed, nothing to look forward to beside revenge. Not to say all of those who were able to leave that concentration camp did this, and that's lucky as it is.

If you're gonna throw people in jail, you better do it with a proper trial, not this kangaroo court BS and a gulag on a far away island. All that does is create criminals out of innocent lives wasted.

Perhaps not the whole site, but have looked at yesterday's headlines? NASA's Curiosity landing was pulled, off the OFFICIAL NASA channel, because of a DMCA take down. So please, don't presume to use that "if you weren't doing something wrong, you wouldn't have worry about it" bullshit.

Perhaps not the whole site, but have looked at yesterday's headlines? NASA's Curiosity landing was pulled, off the OFFICIAL NASA channel, because of a DMCA take down. So please, don't presume to use that "if you weren't doing something wrong, you wouldn't have worry about it" bullshit.

NASA's video was taken down due to youtubes incompetence. Not some sort of evil conspiracy.

NASA's video was taken down due to youtubes incompetence. Not some sort of evil conspiracy.

My comment isn't directed at the technicalities or perceived incompetence but the reality, that if it weren't for asinine laws like the DMCA, the NASA video wouldn't have been taken down. Youtube's filters/automated processes are in place BECAUSE of the laws.

Doesn't matter, if you read the quote from the article I posted, you would see that it didn't violate Ukrainian law.

Sooooo, why are US laws being imposed on Ukraine, again?

Doesn't matter, if you read the quote from the article I posted, you would see that it didn't violate Ukrainian law.

Sooooo, why are US laws being imposed on Ukraine, again?

With the USSR out of the picture, someone has to do it.

So much for all my hard work on my 4:1 upload to download ratio... Theoretically speaking, of course...

There was speculation on other sites that Ukraine raided demonoid to impress US officials so it would get its funding economic aide renewed for another year.

Demonoid has never failed me in the past. And now that I have need for it again, its gone. /sadpanda

Back