Delrin Tube Style Res Complete!

nikhsub1

Limp Gawd
I'm lazy and I am just going to paste here what I have posting in another forum, I hope you can forgive me :D

Well my itch got the best of me. I sourced out a hungry machinist to have the ultimate reservoir made. In my almost 5 years of water cooling, I have never used a reservoir, but, for my current build I wanted one, but nothing suited me. You may recall my thread HERE on the solid brass res I aquired. I love the brass res, but it has some shortcomings. You can not remove the glass without dismounting the whole res, big problem IMO. Second, it weighs nearly 4 lbs! Third, the barb placement is no good, and there are not enough of them. Anyway, this new res I had made I have coined 'DelRez' as it is made out of delrin. Anyway, it uses G 1/4" (BSPP 1/4") thread which is identical in size to all the new swiftech thread (1/4" NPSM). There are 2 reasons why I chose this size, first, Danger Den is switching to them, they have new barbs called 'Perfect Seal' which use the same thread and are o-ring sealed. Second, innovatek's res uses G 1/4" as well and there are some way cool addons that can be put in this res. Temp sensor, LED's etc. All fittings including the plugs are o-ring sealed, no goop or tape necessary. Anyway, I'll stop boring you and show you some pics. Oh, I have 2 mounts, 1 for mounting in the top of the case and one to mount in the 5.25" bays (takes 2 slots). I decided to go with diamond plate for the mounts, not sure if I will leave it polished or spay it black.

bodygood2.jpg

allpartsclose.jpg

Bay Mount:

baymountfront.jpg

baymountfront2.jpg

baymountrearangle.jpg

baymountrearup.jpg

baymountstraight.jpg

baymountfront3.jpg

Top Mount: (The plate is 5" x 5" which IMO is too big... will be making 4x4 or so)

topmount1.jpg

topmountangle.jpg

rearclose.jpg

That is pretty sexy looking.

Not to rain on anyone's parade though but I don't understand the effort to have one custom made when it looks like a clone of an Innovatek Fass-O-Matic.

Was it cheaper to have it custom made, is there some advantage to delrin over anodized aluminum? I just don't get it, but then again, I don't get a lot of stuff.

Great looking work!

BellaCroix said:
That is pretty sexy looking.

Not to rain on anyone's parade though but I don't understand the effort to have one custom made when it looks like a clone of an Innovatek Fass-O-Matic.

Was it cheaper to have it custom made, is there some advantage to delrin over anodized aluminum? I just don't get it, but then again, I don't get a lot of stuff.

Great looking work!
I won't use al. in my loop, niether will most other folks, that is the point. Was it cheaper? No. LMAO.

I absolutely hate diamond plate....otherwise very nice. How much did that thing set you back?

That is sexy ~!

How much each cost if you could run a batch of 100 or so?

So..wanna sell the brass one :)

Sweet res!

EDIT: PM me when you do infact get pricing!! Put me on that list :cool:

R1ckCa1n said:
That is sexy ~!

How much each cost if you could run a batch of 100 or so?
Now there is THE question :D I had 3 made, 1 got jacked up. But now, the tooling is done, the CAD is done, now it is just a matter of how much are materials, they add up. Each button head used is $.10 x 12, the barbs are $2 each. The killer? The nickel plated allen plugs are over $3 EACH! Anyway, I should have some pricing early next week. If there is interest, I will do a run.

Nice job nikhsub1. I like the diamond plate contrasting with the black delrin...

Looks nice and the buttonheads are a nice touch. BTW, you can probably get the port covers cheaper directly from a Legris distributor. You would want part # 0919 00 13. Suggest you also go to McMaster-Carr and buy the buttonheads by the box. :) For a really cheaper solution you might want to contact Franz at IT-Trade and see what he can get you those for as you seem to be talking around 300-400 of them correct?

Thanks for all the comments guys and gals :D To address some questions, I got all the hardware, meaning the buttonheads (yes by the box TN) from McMaster... The stuff isn't that expensive except for the hex plugs, over $3 a pop. I chose the diamond plate as it is different and I have some... your standard brushed aluminum in black, silver and other various colors would be very simple. The hard part is done. There is one tweak I'm making and that is it. I suppose to eliminate the plugs, I could make various versions with just 2 holes... but then that would limit addons like LED's or temp gauge etc. Like I said before, I need to get quantity pricing which I should have Monday or Tuesday. The bay mount that I have pictured I aquired with the brass res I have, that will not be used, a different design is being used, much like innovatek's bay mount. It is simpler and cheaper to produce. Now, if anyone knows of where I can source some barbs BESIDES DD, let me know. G 1/4" is the size.

Sharka has G 1/4 with 3/8" barbs or you could get a hold of Franz at IT-Trade and get just about anything you want in 1/4 BSPP. BTW, have you solved the bubble making problem with Aquatube style reservoirs when using high flow pumps?

Top Nurse said:
Sharka has G 1/4 with 3/8" barbs or you could get a hold of Franz at IT-Trade and get just about anything you want in 1/4 BSPP. BTW, have you solved the bubble making problem with Aquatube style reservoirs when using high flow pumps?
Yep. If mounted in the bay, I put a third barb on the top, attach a piece of hose to the barb ala tee line. Once the air bleeds, empty the excess fluid out of the line, remove barb and seal up. You keep mentioning IT trade, but I can't order from their site...

nikhsub1 said:
Yep. If mounted in the bay, I put a third barb on the top, attach a piece of hose to the barb ala tee line. Once the air bleeds, empty the excess fluid out of the line, remove barb and seal up. You keep mentioning IT trade, but I can't order from their site...

Having air in the Aquatube is what makes it look so cool unless perhaps you use an Aquajet in a vertical application. You can't order off the IT-Trade site. Just send Franz an e-mail from that site with what you are looking for and in what quantities. He will send you back a quote. :)

Top Nurse said:
Having air in the Aquatube is what makes it look so cool unless perhaps you use an Aquajet in a vertical application. You can't order off the IT-Trade site. Just send Franz an e-mail from that site with what you are looking for and in what quantities. He will send you back a quote. :)
I cant order if I dont know what they have... :eek:

Are these a little deeper than the AquaTube?

Actually I don't care, just want one or two. ;)

R1ckCa1n said:
Are these a little deeper than the AquaTube?

Actually I don't care, just want one or two. ;)
I'm not sure as I don't have an AquaTube, it is 3" in diameter and 3.5" long. I don't know the exact amount of liquid it holds either. Heh, I don't know jack. Suppose I should measure that.

Very nice man. Delrin should work great for WC applications. I'd really like to see some pics of it in action. ;)

-Ben

I actually have a modern plastics shop right near me and they always have a place in the back where they have pieces of plastic they call scrap for real cheap. I was just there a day ago and saw a 2-2 1/2 inch OD tube of delrin but stupidly didnt take it. :mad: Now I learn I could have made a dual rez type thing with my drill press. :mad: :( Ill go back lata hopefully.

Top Nurse said:
BTW, you can probably get the port covers cheaper directly from a Legris distributor. You would want part # 0919 00 13
TN, most times you are a PITA :D but this time, I have to really thank you! Legris = $.60! Yes, that is 60 cents a piece where mcmaster charges $3.48 :rolleyes:

Getting all my piggies in a row to sort out costs here. The deal now hinges on the machinist and what he is to charge, but materials so far:

3 Plugs per unit = $1.80
2 Barbs (DD Perfect Seal w/ ship) = $5
Delrin = $15 per unit
O-ring = $1
12 SS button head screws = $1.10 (bout 9 cents each)
3/16 thick acrylic window = $3

So we'll call that $27 a unit in just materials, and that is cost.

So the question now becomes how much is the machining / profit margin?

Also, have you contacted DD to see if they would give you a bulk discount on the barbs? DD acts as a distributor for Thermochill so I am sure they are used to offering bulk prices.

Erasmus354 said:
So the question now becomes how much is the machining / profit margin?
Exactly. I don't intend to get rich, lmfao. I'll do it (if reasonable) for just above what it costs me.

If it could be kept under $40, I'd prob be in for one, too.

Nice work - I love when ppl do completely custom stuff.

-bZj

Down8 said:
If it could be kept under $40, I'd prob be in for one, too.

Nice work - I love when ppl do completely custom stuff.

-bZj

Thats really pushing it I think 50-70 is fair.

Seeing how I used to work in the machining business I would suggest you have a retail of about $90-$100. Innovatek is about $75 and AC is about $60 for their aluminum tube style reservoirs. Since yours is Delrin it makes it more unique and should therefore command a higher price especially with all the corrosion know-it-alls that want copper or Delrin material. Besides I see no reason why you can't market it here in the USA and export it back to Europe. :D

I would estimate that in 100 piece runs that part is going to cost at least $30 to machine. It requires both a CNC lathe and a CNC mill, though you might be able to do the milling and taping on a Bridgeport if you already have one.

Back