Delrin Tube Style Res Complete!

phide

Fully [H]
Joined
Jun 11, 2004
Messages
16,693
Top Nurse said:
After looking at the price of silver bars I am thinking you might be right. :eek: However, a copper one would look pretty nice as well if I could get it shined up all pretty and put some kind of coating over the outside. :D

Perhaps you could consider nickel plating an existing aluminum AquaTube.
 

penguin

2[H]4U
Joined
Mar 11, 2003
Messages
2,121
M.D.K. said:
The term "Radiator" doesn't imply a design like a BIP, it's just what you're used to.
...Wait a minute... You're having a radiator made out of stainless? Something tells me that won't work so well...
 
Joined
Jan 10, 2005
Messages
579
Top Nurse said:
After looking at the price of silver bars I am thinking you might be right. :eek: However, a copper one would look pretty nice as well if I could get it shined up all pretty and put some kind of coating over the outside. :D

Tip from the Navy: Brasso and then NEVER EVER TOUCH IT AGAIN :D
 

M.D.K.

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 31, 2004
Messages
282
penguin said:
...Wait a minute... You're having a radiator made out of stainless? Something tells me that won't work so well...


I'll show you when its done, but not in someone else's thread.

Any updates on the tubes? :D
 

Nobody

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 13, 2005
Messages
145
BioPort ...I was just thinking the same thing ...especially since I am starting my new build next week.

I need to decide whether to leave the water cooling out, buy a make-do reservoir, or just build it with a t-line and add the res later.
 

BioPort

Gawd
Joined
Oct 6, 2004
Messages
754
i know... i have a whole bunch of parts for a watercooling upgrade, but dont really want to install them with my old aluminum res...
 

nikhsub1

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 24, 2004
Messages
248
Progress!! Woooohooooo! Just waiting on the barbs and the o-rings should be here tomorrow! The mounts will be done next week, cross my fingers.

resgroup.jpg


resgrouptop.jpg


resgrouptop2.jpg
 

headala

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 26, 2005
Messages
432
Hey, man you leave the forums for a little while and... well, you know.

Anyway, if there are any left I would like one of your res's. Acrylic is my preference, but will take delrin as well. Would like it with a bay mount, but would take top mount if you have it.

Alan
 

WarlordBB

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 10, 2004
Messages
390
nikhsub1: WOW. Just wanted to compliment you on your fine work. I can still remember you talking about _wanting_ to have one in Delrin. Taking something like this from an idea to a finished product is, extraordinary.

I'm going to send you a PM to make sure I'm still on the list :)
 

nikhsub1

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 24, 2004
Messages
248
WarlordBB said:
nikhsub1: WOW. Just wanted to compliment you on your fine work. I can still remember you talking about _wanting_ to have one in Delrin. Taking something like this from an idea to a finished product is, extraordinary.

I'm going to send you a PM to make sure I'm still on the list :)
Thx for the kind words Warlord. As someone said earlier, I disappeard... but not really there was just nothing to report, my machinist got slammed with 'high paying' jobs, what can I do? If I am going to do something I always try to do it right, this project has turned out 'right' so far :D The quality is there and it definately shows. I hope people like them as much as I do!
 

nikhsub1

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 24, 2004
Messages
248
Thought I would update... Res' are done, assembled! I've had a bit of a nightmare with the o-rings. I thought the plugs (Legris) came with o-rings, they did not. No problem, I ordered some EPDM o-rings from McMaster... well, I put them on all 100 plugs, inserted them into all reservoirs, then decided the o-rings were a bit too thick :( . OK, ordered smaller thickness o-rings for the plugs, remove all plugs from reservoirs, remove thick o-rings, put thinner o-rings, reinstall all plugs in reservoirs. Good, water tight and fits nice! Got the barbs today from Eddy_EK. His barbs came with o-rings but not installed on the barbs. OK, installed the provided 0-rings on all 100 barbs, test on a reservoir. Not water tight :( . The problem is that the nut portion of the barb just above the threads is LARGER than the counterbore on my res by like 1mm... but just enough to where if you were to crank the barb in it would mar the res outside of the counterbore, not cool.

So I say "Self!, WTF are you gonna do now p00n?" Well give me a minute there Beavis! Oh, yeah, I've got the thicker o-rings that were too thick for the Legris plugs, maybe those will work on the barbs!!! Badabingbadaboom! Success! Next step is to remove all 100 o-rings from the barbs and install 100 thicker o-rings on barbs.

Now for the mount, I am going in a different direction with the mounts, they will be PLEXI. Aluminum will be available at a LATER time! The dual bay plexi mounts are AWESOME and can be had in clear, smoked and black. The square 'top' mounts will also be plexi and will be available in the same colors. Oh, did I mention that the square (non bay) mount will mount to any 120mm fan case hole? :D Pictures will be up as soon as the mounts arrive, should be early next week. These are coming from a very unlikely source too :D

Daul bay mount will be ~$18 and the square mount ~$10.
 

phide

Fully [H]
Joined
Jun 11, 2004
Messages
16,693
A 120mm fan hole like one of two on UFO original tops? Say no more! I'm in if you consider doing another batch (as I've said already, I guess), though only if you tack on a few extra coins on the price tag for having to f*ck around with o-rings so much.

Who's your machinist, anyway? I've been considering trying out some little fitting designs (after I've finished my D5 pump Total Isolation Box Thing), and the last machinist I tried to work with pretty much stiffed me.

Going to try and fab some pretty big, single barb brass fittings. Should end up being pretty nice.
 

M.D.K.

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 31, 2004
Messages
282
Awesome!

And I just bought 3 Aquatubes, too! D'oh! I'm still down for the 2 though, right? When can you ship them?
 

nikhsub1

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 24, 2004
Messages
248
phide said:
A 120mm fan hole like one of two on UFO original tops? Say no more! I'm in if you consider doing another batch (as I've said already, I guess), though only if you tack on a few extra coins on the price tag for having to f*ck around with o-rings so much.

Who's your machinist, anyway? I've been considering trying out some little fitting designs (after I've finished my D5 pump Total Isolation Box Thing), and the last machinist I tried to work with pretty much stiffed me.

Going to try and fab some pretty big, single barb brass fittings. Should end up being pretty nice.
The square mount will mount in ANY 120mm fan hole... No I'm not going to up the price because of the o-rings... at least now I know how to do it and what exactly I need :D My machinist is Dean Kassel, nice guy but busy... I'm now looking into injection molding, seeing if this is even an option.
 

nikhsub1

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 24, 2004
Messages
248
M.D.K. said:
Awesome!

And I just bought 3 Aquatubes, too! D'oh! I'm still down for the 2 though, right? When can you ship them?
I can ship them ASAP but don't have mounts yet...
 

nikhsub1

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 24, 2004
Messages
248
Well my new build is incorporating the new res very well :D Learning how to bleed it right with this res... not too bad if you don't fill it all the way up! Some pics:

To avoid confusion loop goes:

Res > Pump under 5.25" bay > Pump in HD rack > Rad > CPU > GPU > Res

pumps.jpg


drivepump.jpg


respump.jpg


resback.jpg


resfront.jpg


resdark.jpg
 

CrimandEvil

Dick with a heart of gold
Joined
Oct 22, 2003
Messages
19,670
Ah man, I want one. :) Maybe if they're still around by next month (just starting a new job on Monday) I can pick one up.
 

Pooky

Gawd
Joined
Apr 7, 2004
Messages
750
Oh boy! Smoke, clear or black, in a 120mm config too! Wow. So cool!

How dark is the smoked mount?
 
Top