Dells version of the Raptor 150

To clarify for those who weren't around when Dell was selling the 80GB Raptors. Basically, the 74GB Raptor actually uses 80GB platters, but they're "short stroked" so that the inner (slowest) part of the platter isn't used, thereby increasing the average transfer rate of the drive. The Dell versions are the same physical drives, just without the short stroking in place. The performance should be same for the first 150GB and lower on the 150-160GB part of the drive.

I know somebody (DougLite?) posted HdTach plots of the 74GB and 80GB Raptors and it was very obvious that it was the same drive with just an extra zone at the end where it's normally not used.

RyanVM said:
To clarify for those who weren't around when Dell was selling the 80GB Raptors. Basically, the 74GB Raptor actually uses 80GB platters, but they're "short stroked" so that the inner (slowest) part of the platter isn't used, thereby increasing the average transfer rate of the drive. The Dell versions are the same physical drives, just without the short stroking in place. The performance should be same for the first 150GB and lower on the 150-160GB part of the drive.

I know somebody (DougLite?) posted HdTach plots of the 74GB and 80GB Raptors and it was very obvious that it was the same drive with just an extra zone at the end where it's normally not used.

thanks for that...makes things a bit more clear.
considering how cheap these drives are, i might have to pick up one more.

Nettwerk said:
I bought one thanks

You mean you ordered one. ;)

I ordered June 1 - est. ship date June 3. Now, three delay notices later the ext. ship date is June 27. :mad:

Argh, screwed by dell.ca again. I hate not being able to get in on these deals.

make it even sweeter with the paypal coupon ($10 off of $100)

I don't think I can post it here so I won't. But you can find it by asking google.

I hope this works out for everyone. It was by chance because the first search turned up a seemingly similar drive for double the amount. Did another search for a 10000rpm drive and then this one came up. I already got the order confirmation emails so far so good.

Good luck all.

I'm definitely gonna bite on this deal... too [H]ot to pass up.

The question is...ONE or TWO in RAID 0?

What performance increase should I expect to notice with two in RAID 0?

if you pay with pp shouldnt you be able to to use a pp coupon
i just ordered one @$157.66 after tax w/free ship and wanted to use a $10 pp coupon any ideas on how one would use a pp coupon with a dell order

i think the pp coupon is only for ebay purchases. I just tried the same thing. o well, at least i got the $15 dell coupon, making it $154.35 after tax (Iowa taxes are sorta cheap).

Manufacturer Part# : RC231
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=341-3681
$162.00

Manufacturer Part# : RC231
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=341-3312
$413.10

I'm obviously missing something?

Regardless, I'm debating if it'd be worth upgrading my 74GB Raptor...

Sway me? lol

EDIT: Apparently the $10 off $100 Paypal code is on a lot of the deal sites already so I'll just post it for those that want to use it.

Stackable $10 off $100 using PayPal
C99$273GQ1L4W8
Expires: 07-15 5:59am CST

Pkirk618 said:
I already got the order confirmation emails so far so good.

I got those e-mails too.

Date of Purchase: 6/1/2006
Estimated Ship Date: on or before 6/6/2006

Haven't shipped yet. :(

How big of a difference would 2 in raid0 be compared to a single drive? I've searched but havent come up with any reviews, and just pulled the trigger on 2 incase this is a price mistake.
thx

I doubt its a price error, Dell does so much volume with WD that they not only branded there own version for them, but made them cheaper, heh ... I got 3 of the 80gigs back when I purchased my precision, I have 2 in a Raid 0 and they run awesome.

If the world still exists when I come home from lunch.... I'm buying two of those fuckers.

I bit on two. I had a $35.00 off coupon that I used as well, total with tax was $309. I didn't really need 2 of these, but at that price I guess I'll just pull my twin 160 gig seagates out and run these instead.

-=cypher=- said:
How big of a difference would 2 in raid0 be compared to a single drive? I've searched but havent come up with any reviews, and just pulled the trigger on 2 incase this is a price mistake.
thx
that question is 'loaded'. The correct answer is it depends on the application, usage pattern and controller that you are using.

raid 0 will help later on after disk fragmentation, but if you keep it defrag'd the benifit is not really there.

Silvermirage said:
on the contrary, it still isn't a bad deal. The only thing is the crap-out on the warranty.

True, just the 10% off part is dead, and the whole warranty thing, I was about to pull the trigger then saw that they had added 18$ on to my order right before i hit submit, so i was like eff it. I dont really need it anyway.

No more Dell Raptors. :( Alas I have read the thread too late. I hope all you guys that ordered one are happy with the purchase. It looked like a smokin' deal!

I'm trying to find out what happened to them, I'm waiting on my reps to get back to me.

drizzt81 said:
that question is 'loaded'. The correct answer is it depends on the application, usage pattern and controller that you are using.

I was planning on using the onboard raid of a dfi sli expert. It would be used primarily for gaming.

I experience slight stutters/loading ocassionally in oblivion(especially outside in the mountain regions) I think far cry does it too. Lasts about 1/2 second. I thought it might be my single 74gb 8mb raptor. I experienced the same with a opty 165 as well.

System specs are amd64 3200 venice clocked at 2.5
2gb gskill hz at 250mhz
2 7900gtx's in sli.
700watt ocz psu

Back