Dell’s UltraSharp 2005FPW widescreen 20-inch LCD monitor.

BlasterJaack said:
I got mine, everything looks absolutely perfect, except that I am also having back light bleedage, I don't think I'm going to worry about it though because you can only really see it when you turn the background completely black.

What do you guys think though, should I send it back to get a another one?
Yes I believe that you should. Make sure that you go through the email though. They are very fast to respond with that. [email protected] is the addy I think. I should have my replacement in a couple of days. For a little bit I will have dually 2005FPW's!!! I should take a picture of that :p.

Does anyone have a link to reliable review yet? I think it is this model or the Viewsonic VP912B ... could someone comment on whether or not this monitor will be good for generally gaming?

i just placed my order with dell over the phone using a 25% off dell lcds that was already used and it worked .. then i just called back and said i had a 45$ off coupon i wanted to use .. i had to call 2 times .. first guy said no .. next time the guy said no problem and credited me back 45$ .. so i ended up getting the monitor for 590.21 instead of 635.21 .. damn nj tax .. shipping was free ..

if u guys try with a used coupon code .. just be like ive been trying to get it to work online but for some reason it doesnt ..

also funny thing is that 45$off coupon code expired on the 24th of nov LOL ..

finally i get a good deal ..

best of luck to all of u .. :)

BlasterJaack said:
I got mine, everything looks absolutely perfect, except that I am also having back light bleedage, I don't think I'm going to worry about it though because you can only really see it when you turn the background completely black.

What do you guys think though, should I send it back to get a another one?

I debated the same issue. Mine had the backlight issue... but I think the only reason I took it so seriously was because everyone on the forum was making a big deal about it. I ended up exchanging mine as a result.

But in reality, the backlight issue was not noticeable in my normal usage, only under testing conditions.

I think I'm gonna buy this one very soon! I already have one of the dellf 25% off LCD coupons, + the 30$ off $300+ and to top it off my company gives you 20% back on computer and computer related purchases(that means 20% off this lcd and my newly purchased laptop from costco), even if they are personal! God this is gonna be awesome!

-Rikus

Zefram0911 said:
I have a Sony 24'' widescreen.... do you think I should replace it with the 2005FPW? I wanted something with less of a footprint on my desk. But I'm afraid the "reduction" in screensize might just not be suitable for me. I'm running 1920x1400 and I love it.

Downsize? Downgrade? Why? Home come? What? Who? Crack? Smoking? :confused:

when did these get released ..

i just purchased one .. and maybe in a month or 2 i would like to get another one so i can run dual monitors .. these models arent old are they lol .. :rolleyes:

Cri said:
Thanks for the advice!!! :D
After reading your post I went to check it in the spanish website from dell.
And there he is!!!!!!
I´m also getting one -- estimate shipping 7-10 days

I can´t wait getting it, hope my Radeon 9500 can handle it!! :p

Regards

how did you go about ordering it? you ring up UK dell? or order through the spanish website? if the later would you still get the warrenty service?

stu.

I received my monitor yesterday. I also have problems with the backlit, and 1 dead pixel in the lower right-hand corner. I will be exchanging mine as well. I did get to try WoW in wide screen. Very nice. I love the extra view you get on the sides and the picture quality.When playing in 1280x1024, the picture looks to be 17", with the black bars. Other than the issue with the backlight and pixel. I must say that the monitor is very nice. It's a big improvement over my previous monitor (Viewsonic VP171b).

When I get around to it, I will try my Xbox with it.

stuman said:
how did you go about ordering it? you ring up UK dell? or order through the spanish website? if the later would you still get the warrenty service?

stu.

I ordered via the spanish dell! I was only waiting to seet this monitor in Europe!
And there he is! I hope don´t getting any dead pixel or backlight issue.

Dell UK delivered mine friday afternoon.
I am so in love...

desktop.jpg

And I was playing about with the stand and suddenly it rotates :O

rotate.jpg

Money well spent me thinks...

what happens to the screen when you play games that doesnt support widescreen? And which games does support widescreen?

jhego said:
what happens to the screen when you play games that doesnt support widescreen? And which games does support widescreen?

You get black bars on each side of the screen.

And unfortunately, NONE of the EA games (madden2005) support widescreen :mad:

jhego said:
And which games does support widescreen?

HL2 widescreen support is awesome, it has 4:3, 16:10, and 16:9. It looks absolutely amazing at 1680 x 1050! :eek: I wish all games had these options, but you can get alot of games in widescreen after some tweaking.

A really useful thing ive discovered.....

If you have an Nvidia graphics card, go into its control panel and there is a list of options for scaling the pictures for LCD screens. You can:

Have it scaled to pixel ratio, so every resolution is like native where one pixel in the program = on pixel on the moniter, smaller resolution leave black bars on all sides of the screen

Have it scaled to the ratio, so that smaller non-widescreen resolutions leave black bars on the sides, but always fill up from the top to bottom of the screen.

or have any resolution stretched to fill the whole moniter. skeweing its shape if it is not widescreen.

mines set to ratio scale, so non widescreen resoltions are basically like on a 17" moniter, and i get no distortion of images.

Also my ps2 experiance.

I had an old ps2 lying around. I used to have it hooked to my computer via my tuner card, but hte horrible quality that entailed made it not worth it. But when I plug it into my mintors s-video, then it looks fantastic! Hardly discernable from a regular television. Only problem is I cant seem to find how to not stretch the picture to fill the whole screen. On the games Ive played that dousnt matter, but on most games that might be an issue. I havent tried hooking my ps2 to the regular video in yet....

Ok , I am this close to buying one. I have two questions. I was gunning for the 243t but if I could get a 25% off coupon for the Dell I wouild be all over it. How does one obtain one?

My second question is does Dell cross ship if you get a bad one?

jacuzz1 said:
Ok , I am this close to buying one. I have two questions. I was gunning for the 243t but if I could get a 25% off coupon for the Dell I wouild be all over it. How does one obtain one?

My second question is does Dell cross ship if you get a bad one?

25% coupon comes from playing the Dell Elf game www.dell.com/dellf

My 2005fp had a scuff mark on the screen when I took it out of the wrapper, so I was going to return it. By the time I got ahold of someone that could take care of it, they thought I wanted to get a replacement, so I figured I'd give it another shot. They are overnighting a replacement, and including the stickers to throw on the first box to return it.

Btw, I'm also having the backlight problem.

a picture of my backlighting issue (exxagerated somewhat in the pic). should i return it? and should i send delll tech support this picture if I email them?
2005fpw.jpg

But what i really want to know from other owners is:

when i move my head directly verticle or horizontal the image stays perfect right up to 90 degress. But if I look at the moniter at an angle diagonally at all the colors get all screwed up, blacks look like a gradient of pink to purple. Is this normal for this lcd? this is somethign that is very regular and uniform unlike the backlight issure so it would seem to me like a aspect of the lcd panel.

bigtony said:
25% coupon comes from playing the Dell Elf game www.dell.com/dellf

My 2005fp had a scuff mark on the screen when I took it out of the wrapper, so I was going to return it. By the time I got ahold of someone that could take care of it, they thought I wanted to get a replacement, so I figured I'd give it another shot. They are overnighting a replacement, and including the stickers to throw on the first box to return it.

Btw, I'm also having the backlight problem.

excellent , thanks.

shucks i got some stupid 10% off coupon, i guess i wil have to wait and try again tomorrow.

jacuzz1 said:
shucks i got some stupid 10% off coupon, i guess i wil have to wait and try again tomorrow.
After you sign up and they give you one code, there is a link to tell friends. They give you one more try for each email. So, you get five total when you sign up a new account.

OrionNT said:
After you sign up and they give you one code, there is a link to tell friends. They give you one more try for each email. So, you get five total when you sign up a new account.

thanks.....Anyone have a coupon and not going to use it , please pm me. I want to jump on one of these and check it out berfore i sell my 213T.I have a buyer but I want to look at the Dell befoe i sell so time is of the essence

Man, after seeing all these pics of people's horrible backlighting I'm starting to rethink purchasing one of these.

The picture above showing the backlighting problem is very extreme compared to mine. Yes you can see it when its a black screen but I have only noticed a couple times and it isnt that bad. All I have to say is HL2 at 1680 x 1050 is freakin sweet!

cnick79 said:
Man, after seeing all these pics of people's horrible backlighting I'm starting to rethink purchasing one of these.

Bear in mind that there are thousands of these monitors and you have a good chance of getting a good one. I have purchased quite a few lcds in my day and I have experienced one dead pixel on my 710T . Not to shabby. The 2005 looks like a great value if you can get a good discount. I know I am going for it first chance i get. I am in love with wide screen ever since i got my big scree TV and more recently my little 700m. THe 2005 is so much less expensive than the 243T i was going to buy , i simply must give it a chance. The on Dell LCD that I do own is flawless and so I am will to take a chance with the correct discount.

jacuzz1 said:
The on Dell LCD that I do own is flawless and so I am will to take a chance with the correct discount.

Yea, how the heck are these people getting crazy discounts? I see dell is selling this monitor for over $700 but people are getting it for over $500. Do you buy from dell.com?

You have to play the delf game and win a 25% off LCD coupon and find a stackable coupon like a $45 off $400 or more.

cnick79 said:
Yea, how the heck are these people getting crazy discounts? I see dell is selling this monitor for over $700 but people are getting it for over $500. Do you buy from dell.com?

Go to slickdeals.net or techbargains.com over the next few days. They'll have posts about how to get the monitor for less than $600.

So is it not possible to have PIP with the DVI connection and the VGA connection?

I have 2 PCs and using PIP would be handy.

TronDD.

novadude said:
PiP is only between one of (VGA or DVI) and one of (S-video or Composite)

Figures. Thanks for confirming.

jetjaguar said:
how long are these delf coupons good for ???

Mine all said they expired January 5th. Not sure if they adjust that depending on how close to January 5th you come, though.

TronDD.

jetjaguar said:
how long are these delf coupons good for ???

JANUARY 5, 2005, if anyone has a code for the 25% off can someone PM me one. i plan on buying the 2005fpw next week.

bander said:
when i move my head directly verticle or horizontal the image stays perfect right up to 90 degress. But if I look at the moniter at an angle diagonally at all the colors get all screwed up, blacks look like a gradient of pink to purple. Is this normal for this lcd? this is somethign that is very regular and uniform unlike the backlight issure so it would seem to me like a aspect of the lcd panel.

could someon else who has this mointer attest to this? I am very curious about wether this is just the panel the 2005 is built with, or wether mine has a prob.

bander said:
could someon else who has this mointer attest to this? I am very curious about wether this is just the panel the 2005 is built with, or wether mine has a prob.
Mine does not do that.

Back