Dell's Latest Laptop Is the World's First That Can Charge Wirelessly

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Dell has launched the Latitude 7285, a 2-in-1 notebook with optional support for wireless charging: it’s the first device of this kind to support WiTricity's magnetic resonance technology, which can both charge devices at a distance and through materials. That means that the laptop doesn’t have to be precisely aligned to the charging mat.

First unveiled at CES 2017, it's the world's first wireless charging 2-in-1 destined to modernize today's workspace by further eliminating wires. Integrating WiTricity's magnetic resonance wireless charging technology, the device is built to transform any workspace into a clutter-free environment. When combined with a charging mat2 and WiGig wireless dock (sold separately), users can quickly remove the 2-in-1 from the mat without the need to unplug any cables, and easily return it to the mat to automatically recharge and connect to additional wireless peripherals such as a display, wireless keyboard and mouse.

$550 for the keyboard and charging mat; I think I'll pass on this convenience, but glad the tech is at least coming to market.

As you have both pointed out, early adoption is always expensive, but great to see it out in the wild. Means in a few years, who knows ... might be reasonably mainstream.

An interesting first go - I could imagine building a desk with this tech inside but, as some have pointed out, the early adopter tax is a little too high to justify picking up another laptop

Still wondering about the affect on the body and central nervous system. All of these radio waves and magnetic fields at this intensity.

ICON-FLAT-ThumbsUp-200x200-WhiteBG.png

Very cool. This kills two birds with one stone. It provides really cool tech to wirelessly charge large objects, and it will radiate our testicles to make us infertile so that the population issue discussed in the other thread will be taken care off.

Too underpowered for my tastes. Someone needs to make a Surface Book clone already though....

Just earlier today, I kid you not, I was thinking about why we don't have desktop surfaces that can do this by now, I really was. I mean it makes sense to have a surface (Microsoft, blow me) that can either be the top of a desk itself or just a panel one can lay on top (like a big huge gigantic mousepad of sorts that covers the entire desk or a big portion of it) and any devices that are place on it can charge as needed. Of course the concept requires the one thing that'll never happen:

A universal wireless charging standard that EVERY COMPANY AND MANUFACTURER ADHERES TO which course means Apple won't go along with it and they'll do things their way so, there goes that beautiful idea. ;)

But it would be an awesome thing someday to have just that: bathroom and kitchen counters, tabletops of any and all kinds, desktops, etc, all capable of being wireless charging devices natively.

Or you could stop being a lazy SOB and plug in a single USB-C connector for everything.

I can't find it in me to get excited about any "wireless charging" technology that doesn't let us wander around a room, a house, a plot of land, disconnected, but charging.

Maybe the good ole gubment can hand over Tesla's works so we can have wireless power for real?

A universal wireless charging standard that EVERY COMPANY AND MANUFACTURER ADHERES TO which course means Apple won't go along with it and they'll do things their way so, there goes that beautiful idea. ;)

That's so true about Apple - incredibly bloody annoying company.

Dell could build a freaking laptop that could make me dinner and pay my bills for me but I still wouldnt buy it. They are con artists and I refuse to do business with them.

I read or saw somewhere(probably here) that someone was trying to figure out a way to make a room with the floors based on this kind of tech. . .I can't help but think about the scene in the short story 'Quitters Inc' in Stephen Kings Cats Eye.

Apple could build freaking laptop that could make me dinner and pay my bills for me but I still wouldnt buy it. They are con artists and I refuse to do business with them.

Fixed that for you :p

Back